best and cheapest rental car company???

pixie1115

Original Poster
There are so many to choose from! lol.

I want to rent the car at or near disney and return it at the Ft. Myers airport. Which company would you go with??

SAV

Your best bet is to go to Mousesavers.com and check out the car rental codes they have listed. If you have an "Entertainment" Book, they also have some good coupons in there. But they may not be good for your one way trip.

Good Luck.

erstwo

We rented from Budget last time. It was crazy cheap, but boy did the line reflect it! We waited nearly an hour for DH to get through the line.

Craziest part was ALL of the other car rental desks were empty. I saw a few people utilize the Alamo kiosk, but otherwise the other desk workers had nothing to do.

Wish I had taken a picture. Just an FYI.

pixie1115

Original Poster
Really?? I looked at Budget online and it was more expensive then any other place!!! Maybe I did something wrong. I found a good coupon code for Alamo but I think it said you have to present the coupon and it was from the travel and leisure magazine....any one have informatuion on that? I don't know what month it was in or anything??

nepalostparks

Like others have said, Mousesavers all the way.

As for which one is going to be cheapest, it really all depends on which company, what location, what class of car, what dates, and what promo codes you use. It may take some time, but try different codes and see what you get.

Also, remember since you can make a reservation for a car without pre-paying or giving any credit card guarantee (unless you choose some sort of pre-pay option) you can keep checking rates and promo codes up until you actually pick up the car. Definitely check back from time to time and see if any new codes apply. And many times, car companies will lower rates as the dates approach if it looks like they are going to have a lot of cars in inventory.

On most vacations, I end up booking and cancelling car reservations several times with several companies before the trip starts. Last trip I started the search with a total of about $250 dollars for the week, which was a pretty good rate I found with a coupon code. By the time I got there, I was able to find a code with a reduced rate for $120 for the week. It pays to shop around on car rentals!

braq

Hello,
In my experience, I've found that Budget is usually the cheapest, but it totally depends on the airport, the day, etc. That answers will help determine the cheapest rate. If you happen to be flying into Denver on a busy day, rates could be much more expensive than if you were flying in a few days later. There are tons of coupons, like David said, but there doesn't appear to be any current coupons valid for one-way rentals. So you're out of luck on that. It looks like the best you could hope for is to get airline miles/points with your rental.

sring

"Best" and "Cheapest" are difficult to combine.

As others have said, shop around. Note that some of the websites only quote the base rate and others the base rate plus all the taxes and fees. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Many car rental companies allowed Fly and Drive so you could rent and return anywhere in Florida without paying a one-way fee. Check when you price the rental.

Remember too: Alamo/National/Enterprise are under common ownership, Avis/Budget are also under common ownership. Not sure of any other pairs. They all still maintain the various brands and pricing may not be the same.

There are a couple of places to check for discounts. AAA offers a 10-15% discount with Hertz. People have mentioned Mousesavers and Entertainment. There are frequently also specials on the individual company websites. You may be able to get a discount if you book through your airline (or airline frequent flier plan). If you can arrange it, renting from a "local edition" (to quote the Hertz term) meaning not an airport location (these are frequently franchises) is frequently less expensive than renting from the airport location (whether it is located on or off airport property).

Also don't be afraid to call around and say, "I got xx rate from so-and-so, for a y sized car, can you beat that rate?" Worst they can say is no.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
random thought on the title.... I can't be the only one that doesn't equate 'best' with 'cheapest,' am I?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom