Best affordable off property hotel

wilkeliza

Original Poster
My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a one week trip in late January. We are thinking that after two times on property we want to stay off property in hopes that it will drive us to do other things in Orlando. We are going to do 4 or 5 days in the park but want to do 1 or 2 days at Universal or possible another attraction in Orlando.

Who has stayed off property and has a cheap/affordable hotel. We don't need a suite and it doesn't have to be fancy. We are just looking for something clean and in a safe area. 40 to 50 a night would be great but we would stay somewhere as long as it is less than the cost of a value resort.

Proximity to the parks could be as much as 30 minutes away because we might drive down this time but we would prefer a park shuttle if possible.

beckyj3266

I've stayed at the Rodeway Inn Maingate a few times. It wasn't anything fancy, we got what we paid for (under $50/night). It had an outdoor pool and there were a lot of families there using the pool. It's less than 5 minutes from the Disney property & right down the street from Old Towne & all the souvenir shops. I'm going in January too, but I'm staying on property. It's hard to go back to off property once you've enjoyed the experience of staying on property! Have a great time!

cynic710

Im going in November and staying at the same off site ive stayed at twice already. Its about a mile from the world and a short drive from universal too ( we do all the parks as well). Its called http://royaleparcsuites.com. its next door to a place called "Old Towne" which is a nice place to walk through on a slow night. Ive been very pleased, as I am returning for a third time now. Prices are great too!

wendysue

Im going in November and staying at the same off site ive stayed at twice already. Its about a mile from the world and a short drive from universal too ( we do all the parks as well). Its called http://royaleparcsuites.com. its next door to a place called "Old Towne" which is a nice place to walk through on a slow night. Ive been very pleased, as I am returning for a third time now. Prices are great too!

:eek:The cheapest rate on there was 150 a night for when we wanted to go...:eek:

wilkeliza

Original Poster
Sorry for the repost I realized I posted my question in the wrong thread last night.

My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a one week trip in late January. We are thinking that after two times on property we want to stay off property in hopes that it will drive us to do other things in Orlando. We are going to do 4 or 5 days in the park but want to do 1 or 2 days at Universal or possible another attraction in Orlando.

We are looking for a place that is:

-less that 50 a night.
-clean
-safe
-close to Disney and/or Universal

Prefer
-park shuttle for Disney and/or Unviersal
-only one room no need for suite

I'll be honest I'm dying for this trip more than he is but our last trip was so short and I don't get to go on vacation as nearly as much as he does.

DisneyJoe

-park shuttle for Disney and/or Unviersal

This is probably the toughest part of your request - and the one to most likely cause you issues.

Even though many complain about the Disney bus transportation, from many stories I have heard, the shuttles from offsite hotels run much less frequently and much less convenient.

Be sure to factor this into your vacation equation.

wilkeliza

Original Poster
This is probably the toughest part of your request - and the one to most likely cause you issues.

Even though many complain about the Disney bus transportation, from many stories I have heard, the shuttles from offsite hotels run much less frequently and much less convenient.

Be sure to factor this into your vacation equation.

We are factoring in the price of a rental car if the shuttles are not that great that is why it is only preferred but not required. We might even just drive down this time and thus have our own car so transportation is not a end all. I get a pretty good rental car discount from my job so it won't add much of a daily extra to our booking.

minniemickeyfan

Check out the Holiday Inn Express in Davenport. It's just south of Disney off I-4. We usually stay on property, but are staying off property Christmas week here ($50 a night w/AAA), then moving to Disney in Jan.

MaryJaneP

Isn't there a whole Discussion Forum called "WDW Offsite Hotels" that would seem to be the logical place for this whole thread and probably has a wealth of posts the OP can peruse?

wilkeliza

Original Poster
edit: Sorry I realized this had indeed been merged with the other post.

Now that it is in the right section and both threads are merged I don't see the problem in starting a thread asking with our specifics. I read through several other threads and most information I get is on suites for families or large parties not two mid-20s looking for a place to simply lay their head at night.

KingdomofDreams

Have you checked out the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World"? They do a pretty good job of listing and rating all the area hotels/motels.

Another option is a Priceline.com bid. I'm a big believer in bidding on Priceline. I've done it successfully for hotels, rental cars, and airline tickets. You select the area you want, the star rating, and what you will pay. You could easily get a nice 3-4 star hotel for as low as $50, maybe even lower. The only downside is that you are committed when your bid is accepted. Your credit card is charged for the stay at that time, so there is no cancelling and getting a refund later. But if your trip is a sure thing, it is well worth it and you can always wait until close to your trip to lock it in if you're unsure right now.

HouCuseChickie

While we won't be staying there for another week and a half, we're spending a nt at a Super 8 just outside of the Maingate. The rate we got was something like $38.99 a nt (about $42 after taxes). It had surprisingly good ratings everywhere we looked and we're only spending 1 nt...so we figured we'd give it a try.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...immee_Orlando_Maingate-Kissimmee_Florida.html

Edit- I don't think it offers a shuttle, but my friends and I have all had very bad experience with shuttles- to the point where cabs needed to be called- that I don't think I'd ever look for this in an offsite hotel again, unless we were in DTD...and even then, I'd still be nervous.

jwarren3768

My last two trips (both solo) have been off site. The first was the Howard Johnson Tropical Palms (wouldn't recommend it -- trash truck every morning at 0630) the second was the Celebration something-or-another-that-used-to-be-a-Ramada. Just at the intersection of I-4 and Irlo Bronson. Very quiet, but mostly empty. Both were had for well short of $40/night via hotels dot com.

But as others have said, caveat emptor, you get what you pay for. Don't expect super fancy but you should expect clean and these two were both clean.

Also, as others have mentioned, the off-site shuttles run maybe once in the morning and once in the afternoon. You are much better off with a rental car (especially if you have an AP and don't pay for parking).

Good luck and have fun.

BigRedDad

I have not been off site, but would consider it with a larger group. Things you need to factor in for off-site is parking cost. You can definitely save money staying off-site. For me, I would consider Wyndham Bonnet Creek simply from people I know that have stayed there. You can get a 2BR suite for ~$600 for a week or a 4BR Presidential Suite for ~$1200 a week.

jwarren3768

I have not been off site, but would consider it with a larger group. Things you need to factor in for off-site is parking cost. You can definitely save money staying off-site. For me, I would consider Wyndham Bonnet Creek simply from people I know that have stayed there. You can get a 2BR suite for ~$600 for a week or a 4BR Presidential Suite for ~$1200 a week.

WOW! 4 br/$1200 a week. that's incredible. Will have to check that one out. Thanks for the tip.

wilkeliza

Original Poster
Just letting everyone know the bf and I ended up booking with Disney. Pop ended up being the same price if not cheaper for what we are looking for. There are only 2 of us (friends couldn't come along this time) so no need for a villa or anything fancy. We got 7 nights and 8 days at Pop for 1300 including park tickets and food. I don't think you could beat that for a week long trip.

I'm a big believer in bidding on Priceline. I've done it successfully for hotels, rental cars, and airline tickets. You select the area you want, the star rating, and what you will pay. You could easily get a nice 3-4 star hotel for as low as possible. There are many new & best options available, just go for a search in google.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom