Best advice for soon to be CM!

Emster8

Original Poster
All Past Cast Members!

My sister was just accepted into the 2005 Fall WDW Internship program. I am trying to get some advice together from past CM's to pass along to her. What are good stories or advice you have? What should she definitely do while she's there? What should she stay away from? What are the best jobs to have? What should she know before heading down there in August? Thanks so much! Look forward to reading your replies!

MKCP 1985

heh, Best advice:

(1) go to parties, but don't host the parties. Party = complaint = evicted tenant = lost job.

(2) do go to Daytona Beach on day off, but don't drink in public at Daytona Beach, and bring your own plastic cup. Arrest = lost job.

(3) best job = outdoor foods at Magic Kingdom (biased opinion :king: )

(4) meet as many people from all over as possible to have the best time and make lasting friendships.

(5) have a good attitude about being part of the magic. Yes, the pay is low, but she didn't accept the job for the great pay. Where else do you get to see what you see at WDW at work every day?

Sapphire

Bring your car!! When I was accepted they told me a car was optional because they provide you with transportation. Well, their transportation isnt so convienient. You are limited to their schedule and locations. Central Florida is really spread out and that makes taking a taxi REALLY expensive!

I also wouldnt recomend extending your program. go back and finish your degree...Disney will still be here when you are done. If you liked working for Disney, submit your resume for a position that is in the field of your degree...having Walt Disney World College Program on there will give you a bit of an advantage over other applicants.

Most importaintly...HAVE FUN!!!!

CrashNet

Bring your car!! When I was accepted they told me a car was optional because they provide you with transportation. Well, their transportation isnt so convienient. You are limited to their schedule and locations. Central Florida is really spread out and that makes taking a taxi REALLY expensive!

eeeeesh...really? Not something I wanted to hear because as it stands right now, I can't exactly bring my car. Anyone have a better story that didn't take their car?

CAPTAIN HOOK

MKCP 1985 said:
(5) have a good attitude about being part of the magic. Yes, the pay is low, but she didn't accept the job for the great pay. Where else do you get to see what you see at WDW at work every day?
Sounds like a great reason to me - being paid for being a part of the Disney Magic

DisneyRaider

Free Advice If Needed!

Advice

Orlando is a fun place!

I lived there for five years. I taught high school social studies in Kissimmee. One summer (2000) I worked at The Studios. I started out at Fantasmic and made the jump to Indy! It was a G-R-E-A-T experience for a guy in his early twenties! haha LADIES FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!!

I did know that much about the college program??? In hindsight I wish I would have done it.

I made some friends who were CP's! Still in touch with a few! I remember taking some of them back to Vista after a rough night at PI! (haha) That place is like Fort Knox!

I would definitely recommend having a car. Orlando is MASSIVE!

I can remember helping out some of the CP's with rides because the shuttle was running late.

If you have any questions about Orlando feel free to ask!

Sometimes I do miss it! But I am only three hours away from the MAGIC!

Bekki24

cac2889 said:
eeeeesh...really? Not something I wanted to hear because as it stands right now, I can't exactly bring my car. Anyone have a better story that didn't take their car?

I had my car and would not have had it any other way..buttt one of my roommates did not have a car--and she was fine. You'd just have to allow a lot more time before and after work and getting places. It can be done and chances are most of your roomates will have a car and wont mind you tagging along for a ride! :)

MagliteL13

cac2889 said:

I didn't have a car last year. In all honesty, it didn't bother me that much. Every once in a while there was a place I wanted or needed to go that the busses didn't go to so I'd bug one of my roommates. I actually liked sleeping on the busses after work on the way home--when you get off at 1 or 2 in the morning after working for 10 hours dealing with thousands of people, you'd like it too!

As for advice, the best I can give is to have fun--and keep having fun no matter what happens! If you're not having fun, as a CM, the guests definently won't be having fun. Just remember where the magic begins and then where it ends up. And for the love of all that is holy, go visit the parks early on--in August and September they're virtually desserted. By the time November and December roll around you won't have a whole lot of time. Anyways, tis all for now--feel free to shoot me an IM if ya want. Till August...

DCL

cac2889 said:

Or you could just make friends with your fellow cast members who will be bringing a car along with them... such as myself! :lol: :wave:

Spicey477

I think that for Internationals, having a car is not necessary. If anything I would think having a car would either, A. make you a wanted woman/man, everyone would want you to take them places, or B. kind of alienate you because ALL of the Internationals use public transport. I was in the CP and I lived in the same building as Internationals and I would drive them wherever they wanted to go, so just make some friends with people who have a car!

CrashNet

Oh I know I'll make friends, but I think I would be more at ease knowing I could get up and go where I wanted when I wanted. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom