Best 1/2 Marathon for a newbie

8laurach

Original Poster
:wave:Hi all,

What is the best Marathon for a newbie? The Food & Wine 1/2 in October of the Disney Marathon in January?

dreamfinder

Depends on how you want to experience it. Are you a morning person (3am! wakeups) or a night person (midnight or later finish) The 1/2 in January has the definite potential to be alot colder. The early morning experience is also a bit more bizarre, as you end up standing around for hours on end doing much of nothing but waiting. I found the W&D to be a bit more friendly to wait, the wait isn't as long, but everyone was much closer with no long march to the start. The actual courses are different, but offer similar things. Characters/floats on the course, bands, etc. I think there are definitely more spectators for the regular 1/2. Also, do you want to see MK or AK/DHS? W&D Does AK/DHS and the other 1/2s really just do MK. Depends on what backstage stuff you want to see. Either can be fine for a 1st timer, depends on your preferences.

AUPr8Hd

I assume you mean the 1/2 during Marathon weekend in January.

I would say it depends on what you want to get out of the run, which parks you might want to experience running through, and any character interaction you might like.

Wine&Dine will go through AK, DHS and the backside (maybe) of Epcot. There were some characters out last year. But, I don't recall there being a lot of them, compared to January 1/2. You may get to see the Osborne Lights while running through DHS.

January 1/2 will run you through MK and Epcot. There's an abundance of characters for January. In addition to the characters, you'll have better opportunities for pictures of landmarks and icons while you run during this race.

I ran W&D last year and already registered for this year. I also ran January earlier this year. Aside from the insanely early morning, I would say go with the January 1/2.

MKCP 1985

Having done both, it is my opinion the Disney Half Marathon in January is the better selection for a first half marathon. There are tons of first time runners every year and the weather is cooler, less humid, so that makes it easier to complete the race without injury.

Whatever race you choose to be your first, good luck! :wave:

Texas84

The January half was my first. Amazing experience. It really hit me when I ran through the parking pay booths.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I haven't run the Wine and Dine, so I can't say from experience, but based on what I know and what I've heard, I'd stay away from that as a first experience.

It might be fun, but it sounds like it's not representative of most half-marathons. So you could take the risk of running that and thinking: "I don't like half-marathons" when it's really just the unique format that might not be for you.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Having done both, it is my opinion the Disney Half Marathon in January is the better selection for a first half marathon. There are tons of first time runners every year and the weather is cooler, less humid, so that makes it easier to complete the race without injury.

Whatever race you choose to be your first, good luck! :wave:
Yes, the heat and the W&D might be a bit much for your first. You should get one under your belt with colder weather before attempting a 75 degree race. Even veterans have potential trouble with heat.

MKCP 1985

. . . and besides, there is a special finisher medal this year for the Disney Half marathon to commemorate its 15th anniversary, I believe.

When in doubt, go for the unique bling. :D

Disney Dawg88

:wave:Hi all,

What is the best Marathon for a newbie? The Food & Wine 1/2 in October of the Disney Marathon in January?

I would say go with the half in January, but I'm a little biased as that was my first half marathon back in 2006. Here are some of my reasons, and I apologize if others have mentioned this:

- it more than likely will be less humid in January than in October, except for that 2007 Disney Half Marathon which was crazy humid for January :lookaroun

- while you start off in the dark in the January race it does become light out pretty quick and for a first half marathon it's probably best that you run in the light versus the dark. Often times while running at night you can't see that well and you could get injured easier.

- while you do run through WDW parks in both races, there's nothing like running through the Magic Kingdom which you do in January but not in the Wine and Dine

- you still have plenty of time to train for the January race while the other one, still two + months away, isn't too far away. I know I wish I had trained longer for my first half but I still did well.

Best of luck to you either way, but if it were me I would go with the January race.

mraphael

I'd say go for the 1/2 in January.
It was also my first 1/2 and was the best experience ever (even with the freezing rain!)

If you aren't used to running in the HUMIDITY and the Heat of Florida, it can be a shock. I live in Florida and it took me awhile to get used to it....and it still makes my training runs miserable from time to time.

Whatever race you choose, HAVE FUN!!!

fmingo36

I have done the Princess, the W&D, and the full in January.

I loved the atmosphere of the W&D before and after the race. The race itself was OK. The W&D is at night and running in the dark and on some of the narrower trails in the AK proved to be difficult. Also it was muggy!!! Also it was the first year and there seemed to be a lot of issues leading up to the race. But running through the Osbourne Family Spectacular was so cool and I really loved running backstage at DHS. I also thought that there were alot less spectators during this race.

The Princess was my first race and I thought it was great. I ran with my BFF so we were able to really push each other when the going got a little tough. The only issue I had with the Princess was the amount of walkers. I think this event has turned into a girls weekend away and there were alot of groups just walking. Getting up at 3:00 am is also a killer.

The race is January is the well organized and fun. Lots of characters!!! But it is the most crowed and probably has more "polished" runners than other Disney races. The weather is also a factor to consider; we lucked out this year but last year was brutally cold and miserable.

You'll have a great time no matter what race you choose!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom