Benefit of staying on property at Disneyland

musketeer

Original Poster
Hello

This will be my first trip to Disneyland. Been to the park in Florida several times and know the benefits of staying on the property. But how does it work in California? Are the benefits of staying on the property so great to justify the price? Going through Travelocity, I found rooms at the Paradise Pier hotel for $265/night. But found the hotels just a few blocks away for less than $100/night.

Two questions:
1.) What makes it worth the price?
2.) Are these prices real, or is it too early to get accurate prices at the Disneyland Hotels for Feb 2005?

Thanks

Merlin

Account Suspended
Definitely not worth the difference in price. Paradise Pier is a nice, clean hotel, but there's nothing special or unique about it. Like the Disneyland Hotel, neither was actually built by Disney. They were built and operated by other companies for years before Disney purchased them. So unlike the hotels at WDW, they have no "theme". They're just hotels. They do offer transportation to the parks and Downtown Disney, but for the difference in price it's not worth the "convenience" of cramming into a crowded tram or monorail to take it over to the park.

The Grand Californian, on the other hand, is unique in that it is in the heart of Downtown Disney and is just a short walking distance to both of the parks. It's still not as elaborately themed as most of the hotels at WDW, but it is much nicer than the other two at DLR.

netenyahoo

$265/night for Paradise Pier is not worth it. That is a ridiculous rate. You could probably find a cheaper rate, but I guess it depends on when you are going. There are hotels across the street that are closer to the parks than Paradise Pier. The only real benefit of staying at a Disney hotel is being immersed in Disney, so if it is worth it for you then go for it. At WDW is it worth it to stay onsite to be closer and use the transportation, but at DL everything is so close you walk everywhere.

bugsbunny

If there is any advantage, I haven't seen it. I stayed at the Coast Anaheim right across the street and it worked out well.

THe only thing is the walk is a little long, but you just cut through Downtown Disney to the monorail and take that to the parks.

The price difference is about $100-$150/night. Staying over by the convention center area puts you right at the DL Hotel and the tail end to Downtown.

jodilt

I always stay at a DL resort. It's just part of the magic for me. I like the GC. To be able to walk downstairs and right into DCA or Downtown Disney is worth the extra $ to me. I would not however pay $265 a night for Paradise Pier. I normally pay about that for the GC! I would keep looking for a better rate. Have you checked with DL reservations to get a quote? I have had good luck on Cheaptickets also.

Figment1986

the good thing about staying on resort is garenteed entree to the parks when the parks are already full.. you cannot be turned away...

(hence why I have booked DL hotel for the July 15-19th.)

They will deliver your packages to the hortel for you, instead of having to lug them back to the hotel with you...

and i dont know any others at the time...

Merlin

Account Suspended
Figment1986 said:
the good thing about staying on resort is garenteed entree to the parks when the parks are already full.. you cannot be turned away...

And the parks are SO PACKED right now!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LadyDarling

One word of warning:
Travelocity and expedia are really better at booking last minute rates, then trying to get a discount so far out.

Now, is Paradise Peir worth the money? Not to me (when for about $50 more you could be staying in the Grand Californian!). In the summer time, Disney really boosts the price of thier hotel rooms, I've noticed. But in the "value season", they are nearly reasonable.

My DH and I love staying at the Grand Californian. When we can't stay there, we stay at the Disneyland Hotel. If you can stay at a cheaper hotel within walking distance, or plan on having a car, it may be worth it to stay there.

If you do end up at the Paradise Peir - please report back about thier new waterslide at thier pool! :)

Enjoy your trip either way!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom