"Believe" will end in 2011

Helena123

Original Poster
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...d-killer-whale-shows-20101115,0,6192634.story

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment will launch a new killer-whale show next spring in its three U.S. marine parks, as it attempts to move beyond the February death of a trainer that has shadowed the company for nearly a year.
Jim Atchison, SeaWorld Parks' president and chief executive officer, said in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that the as-yet-unnamed show will replace the 4-year-old "Believe" as the signature attraction at SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio.

"We've been working very hard at developing a new concept that I think is going to be very exciting," Atchison said.
Advertisement Atchison said the new show has been in the works for roughly a year. But the timetable for its debut was accelerated following the Feb. 24 death of Dawn Brancheau, the 40-year-old SeaWorld Orlando trainer who was killed by a six-ton orca named Tilikum.

Brancheau's death prompted SeaWorld to pull all of its trainers out of its orca pools while it conducted a still-ongoing trainer-safety review. That in turn forced an awkward, on-the-fly rework of Believe, a 30-minute show that emphasizes the close relationship between killer whales and trainers and which had relied heavily on in-water interactions.

Atchison declined to say whether trainers will be back in the water for the new show. SeaWorld has said it will not re-institute trainers' "water work" with killer whales unless it can make sufficient safety improvements. But Atchison said the safety review launched after Brancheau's death has helped shape plans for the new show.
"We've certainly changed the scope of the shows and the impact of the shows," he said.

Industry analysts say designing a new killer-whale performance is an important step toward turning the page on the Brancheau tragedy, which has hung like a cloud over SeaWorld throughout the year. Even now, nearly nine months later, SeaWorld continues to battle both the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration and multiple private lawsuits.

"They almost have to [create a new show] to go forward," said Jerry Aldrich, president of Amusement Industry Consulting in Orlando. "It is important, and it is important for them to do it now, to get rid of the negative connotations of the problems they had."

That said, other factors are also driving SeaWorld's overhaul of its killer-whale show. The company faces increased competition for tourists, particularly in Orlando, where Universal Orlando this year opened the wildly popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter in its Islands of Adventure theme park and Walt Disney World is in the midst of expanding the Fantasyland section of its Magic Kingdom park.

And SeaWorld, like other parks, must periodically reinvent its live shows to ensure repeat visits by guests. Believe is now in its fifth year; SeaWorld's previous orca show, "The Shamu Adventure," ran for eight years. "All of this stuff has compelled SeaWorld to make a change," said Robert Niles, publisher of ThemeParkInsider.com

Designing a new killer-whale performance, which Atchison called "our marquee attraction for the SeaWorld parks," is expensive. Just the improvements made to SeaWorld Orlando's Shamu Stadium for Believe reportedly topped $10 million.

SeaWorld is expected to unveil thematic details of the new show in coming weeks. Atchison said it would be "stunning." "It's going to be a great show, an exciting show, and I think something that's going to have a big impact on the guest experience," he said.

Helena123

Original Poster
I have heard about the quake and Japan are in my prayers.
I don't understand why you posted that here though?

Florida

I haven't seen OO yet, I'm going in December. I honestly believe (no pun intended) that they wanted to create a new Shamu show to distract people's attention from the killed trainer incident. I think they wanted to get everyone excited for a new show to keep a positive reputation and have people impressed by the killer whales again versus everyone being concerned.

I really think they need to ditch the Whale shows and move the fab Dolphin show into that huge theatre!

It was really a tranwreck of a show with more use of the fancy screens than tricks with the whales. I also cringed when I seen one of the whales up at the trainer begging for some fish and the trainer just took out a bucket of water and fed the whale water :veryconfu

Tink ッ

Does anyone know if the trainers go in the water with the killer whales in the new show? Or is that something they've completely stopped doing now?

Pete C

No trainers in the water anymore :( Safety first and all that!

Well...for now anyway. The OHSA lawsuit is still ongoing and both sides have presented their case to the judge. He will make his decision in about a month on whether to allow SeaWorld trainers back in the water with the whales.

dave&di

Well...for now anyway. The OHSA lawsuit is still ongoing and both sides have presented their case to the judge. He will make his decision in about a month on whether to allow SeaWorld trainers back in the water with the whales.

I don't think it will happen IMO, killer whales will never be trusted the same way again. As a member of the audience I would now feel very uncomfortable to watch the trainers in the water, I not a fan of the 'Jaws' films and don't want to witness it in real life! :eek: Do you not think others will be put off?

Pete C

I don't think it will happen IMO, killer whales will never be trusted the same way again. As a member of the audience I would now feel very uncomfortable to watch the trainers in the water, I not a fan of the 'Jaws' films and don't want to witness it in real life! :eek: Do you not think others will be put off?

I disagree...I don't think the OSHA has any right to stop the trainers from getting in the water. If they did, one could make the argument that they would have to apply the same rules to those who work in zoos with dangerous animals like big cats, bears, and great apes. Who's to say when an animal will go nuts and kill? It's a risk that anyone who works with wild animals takes. What about TV shows where people interact with dangerous animals? Will they shut down those shows too? Steve Irwin died in his line of work, yet those types of shows go on.

Now, whether guests will not want to watch the shows due to the possibility of someone getting injured or killed in front of them is an entirely different matter. The guests will make that decision, and ultimately if nobody goes to the shows anymore they will stop doing them. I really don't see that happening.

dave&di

I disagree...I don't think the OSHA has any right to stop the trainers from getting in the water. If they did, one could make the argument that they would have to apply the same rules to those who work in zoos with dangerous animals like big cats, bears, and great apes. Who's to say when an animal will go nuts and kill? It's a risk that anyone who works with wild animals takes. What about TV shows where people interact with dangerous animals? Will they shut down those shows too? Steve Irwin died in his line of work, yet those types of shows go on.

Now, whether guests will not want to watch the shows due to the possibility of someone getting injured or killed in front of them is an entirely different matter. The guests will make that decision, and ultimately if nobody goes to the shows anymore they will stop doing them. I really don't see that happening.

I understand your point, I would love the trainers back in the water, I saw 'Believe' in '08 and '10 and hated the revised version. I would be nervous watching trainers in the water now. Will the OSHA ban this completely? We will have to wait and see, this isn't that black and white, whatever their decision there will be a group unhappy about it!

DillonJoseph

Keep in mind, this tragedy happened backstage and not during a show. The trainer wasn't even in the water with the whale when it happened. We take 1 unfortunate situation and ignore the years and years of experiences and shows that didn't end in tragedy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom