Believe it or not... Disney is a good place for thrill rides!

goofyfan13

Since all the teens are stepping up I guess its my turn

::Steps on Podium::

People keep talking about how universal is a great thrill park. Yes, the thrill rides are fun that they own, but a great theme park dosn't just consist of thrill rides. In my mind Disney does a much better job at keeping the themeing throughout the whole ride.
I absolutly love Roller Coasters.. (go to Cedar Point at least twice a year) But I love the slow themed rides Disney offers, and the shows and slow rides at IOA, where very, well, second rate to Disney's. With exception to Spider-man of course
I agree with all the other teens that Disney is MUCH better, but Universal doesn't suck it just, has room for improvement.

::Steps off Podium::

pheneix

>>>But I love the slow themed rides Disney offers, and the shows and slow rides at IOA, where very, well, second rate to Disney's.<<<

I disagree. Have you seen Maliboomer at DCA? If IOA is second rate, then DCA is at least third rate.

The only major attraction that suffers theming issues is Dueling Dragons, and that is only the coaster itself, not the entire experience. Everything else at Islands of Adventure are fully-themed, cutting edge attractions (or thrill rides, or whatever you want to call it) that are vastly superior to anything else in the industry, and dare I say, superior to most of Disney's offerings as well.

There's a reason that Islands of Adventure is voted by pretty much everyone as the second best theme park in Orlando (behind only the Magic Kingdom, not WDW as a whole).

Main Street USA

I think we're all refering to WDW here, not DL or DCA.

And, um, no themeing problems other than dueling dragons? Wow, thats pretty, um, not correct. And saying that ANY of Universal's theming is superior to Disney's is pretty ridiculous. Universal's "log ride" is, as you say, "fully themed", yet it seems empty and cheap compared to Splash Mountain.

I will say that there are parts of IOA that ARE themed quite well. Take for instance the Dr. Seuss area, this part of the park is exceptionally done, and ORIGINAL in the sense that they have incorporated Dr. Suess, where no one else has, AND stuck 100% to his style, from the landscaping to the building structures.

Dueling Dragons line area is done well also, but what confuses me past that is why they didn't bother to spend the money theming the coaster itself. Its a shame, because, aside from that, its a great coaster!

But, back to another quick example, which is based more on opinion than anything else. Space Mountain, which has been at WDW for quite a long while, still has better theming than anything at Universal. Updates and refurbishments aside, still, the old SM holds up.

Theming is one of Disney's specialties. I haven't ever been anywhere, including places that aren't theme parks (Vegas, etc.) and I have never come across a location that can theme anything quite so well.:)

pheneix

>>>And saying that ANY of Universal's theming is superior to Disney's is pretty ridiculous.<<<

So an area like the Lost Continent isn't better themed than Dino-Rama? I beg to differ.

>>>Universal's "log ride" is, as you say, "fully themed", yet it seems empty and cheap compared to Splash Mountain.<<<

It is still better than 99% of the other offerings out there. Yes, I do think that there is plenty of room for improvement on the ride, but come on, it is long, has a storyline, has multiple drops, and actually turns into a roller coaster at one point. Perhaps some other company besides Disney could do a better job. Oh wait, THERE ISN'T ONE. You should also remember that Splash was designed to be one of the biggest E-ticket attractions ever made, period. Dudley was designed to compliment the other offerings at IOA, and not be the big "weenie" like Spiderman or Splash. There is clearly no problem with Dudley Do Right's that comes close to Dueling Dragons.

>>>but what confuses me past that is why they didn't bother to spend the money theming the coaster itself.<<<

As I understand it, there was originally going to be a village under the coaster that would have exploding fire effects and the like while the dragons were making their passes at each other. As other parts of IOA ran over budget, money was siphoned from Dueling Dragons to compensate.

>>>Space Mountain, which has been at WDW for quite a long while, still has better theming than anything at Universal.<<<

Space Mountain is an example of Disney at it's best. You will likely never see that kind of entertainment offered by them again.

For the record, I can think off at least 5 attractions right off the top of my head at Universal that match the same level of immersion as Space Mountain (Spiderman, Terminator 2, BTTF, Poseidon's Fury, Kongfrontation, ET, oh wait, that's more than 5).

Main Street USA

You make good points but I think mine still hold up. Space Mountain's theming is what i was referring to. Those rides you mentioned certainly are great rides, with great theming. But I still think SM's theming holds up against them, and considering its age, I think thats pretty impressive.

And I never said that IOA's BEST themed area wasn't as good as Disney's worst. That isn't a fair comparison. But for the record, the story behind that area of Animal Kingdom is actually incredibly creative, and what everybody sees as being cheap additions to that area were MEANT to look that way to hold true to that story. A very nice addition to that area of the park.

As far as the DD thing goes, if what you say actually happened, then I guess they should have planned that out a little better. For those to be the original plans, and then to leave it looking like it is, is unacceptable. Theming the rest of that ride should be a priority.

When you say that there isn't another company other than Disney that would do a better job, I know there isn't. Next on the list after Disney and Universal is Six Flags, and thats a HUGE step down.

I don't want to go back and forth here. We're both making legitimate arguments. I haven't experienced IOA or Universal as I have WDW so its hard for me to be incredibly accurate when referring to them. Like when I said "the log ride", I didnt mean to offend, I just couldn't recall the name.

pheneix

>>>But I still think SM's theming holds up against them, and considering its age, I think thats pretty impressive.<<<

That's true.

>>>Theming the rest of that ride should be a priority.<<<

Maybe under the leadership of Bob Gault that will happen. There have already been many major improvements at USF (extensive new paint jobs, re-paving, etc.), so hopefully in the near future there will be some minor improvements next door.

>>>cheap additions to that area were MEANT to look that way to hold true to that story.<<<

Regardless, it is an eyesore and completely disrupts the otherwise excellent theming at the park. Disney should be ashamed.

>>>For those to be the original plans, and then to leave it looking like it is, is unacceptable. Theming the rest of that ride should be a priority.<<<

At some points you do have to be fiscally responsible, but I agree. But Universal is already spending tens of millions on new additions for next year, so we will have to wait. :(

>>>Like when I said "the log ride", I didnt mean to offend, I just couldn't recall the name.<<<

Don't worry about it. I called it the "log ride" too until I remember it's name right before I hit the "Submit Reply" button.

pheneix

>>>whats a "Wienie"?<<<

It's what Walt called the main icon of a theme park (ie Sleeping Beauty Castle, Spaceship Earth, Tree of Life).

JLW11Hi

In that case, the Sorcerer's Hat is a wienie, too? I always thought that the chineese theater was a pretty good "centerpiece" for the studios. I mean, besides the "earful tower"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom