Trip Report Belgians do WDW! August 2022

Hi all! Live writing you from MCO airport! As the title suggests, I have finally arrived in our beloved WDW area!

Probs will share a TR afterwards but for now, glad to be back!

0BAA1395-D46D-4119-8330-B5174B909DD9.jpeg

44622339-CE65-4004-89D9-982713A300F1.jpeg

We’re staying off-site tonight but tomorrow direction CBR and MK!

Laurence (Gaëtan (little brother) and Henk)

Sabrina1705

I might have cursed some words in Dutch.. @Sabrina1705 will probably understand them :pp but yes @Loco_driver it was horrible 😅
I did the same cursing Saturday a week ago! What was I thinking going for our last day to MK on a Saturday :banghead: We left the moment when we could park hop and went to Epcot. My godchild was bumped she couldn’t ride Guardians a third time because the virtual queues were (off course) already closed for that day.

Laurenciaa

Original Poster
SOOOOO... after two weeks of Disney blues, a not-so-happy-return-to work, I AM HERE AGAIN!

By the time my fellow USA Magicians are on the forum, I hopefully will have written some of the TR. I will not start a new tread but will just start as from the post here below!

See ya real soon my friends!

Laurence

Laurenciaa

Original Poster
I did the same cursing Saturday a week ago! What was I thinking going for our last day to MK on a Saturday :banghead: We left the moment when we could park hop and went to Epcot. My godchild was bumped she couldn’t ride Guardians a third time because the virtual queues were (off course) already closed for that day.
Hopefully your Trip was also worth your while :) Fijne werkdag gewenst Sabrina!

Laurenciaa

Original Poster
Preface:
Who: Laurence (me, myself and I), Gaëtan (my towering above me half-brother) and Henk (a good friend of us/WDW deal searcher/...)
When: 1 August 2022 - 16 August 2022
Where: August 1st -> Hampton inn Hotels Orlando// August 2nd - August 12th -> CBR // August 12th - August 15th -> AirBnB.

Why: Like many of us "Revenge travel" might be a good wording. We have been planning this trip since 2019 one year after my first visit to WDW. Of course C-XIX has been a pain in the but since a couple of months, we Belgians, are again welcome in the Most Magical place on earth (for us Magicians)!

To note: Probably will use dates as dd/mm/yyyy and other metric specialties!
Another note: I am in no way a pro in photography (I leave this up to other members here). All photos are or from my camera roll or slightly edited by Henk on his phone.

DAY minus 7 - end of July 2022

I don't think I need to tell anyone here on the forum how excited we were to FINALLY travel to WDW let alone my brother who by any means had not traveled by plane since approx. 12 years ago). I received daily text messages, mostly in capslock, going from : "ARE WE THERE YET"; "DO I NEED 12 T-SHIRTS???" to "Can I borrow you toothpaste on holiday?". As I am the big sister (Gaetan is 19 and I way past 33 and 6 months), he regularly texted me for for a variety of things that for me sometimes make zero sense or 100% sense 😃

BUT.. (insert drama music)

European airlines would not be European airlines if our first flight from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt would not be cancelled 1 week before departure. I was already scanning the Dusseldorf Airport website for quite a while because I read everywhere that airlines were cancelling flights just to cut-back on the costs.. Came to my surprise (not) that yes, our local flight was cancelled and we needed to take the train from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt.

All fine by me, meaning that the chances of losing our luggage during the transfer would now be impossible or at least minimalized to a human (involuntary) mistake! Halleluja! We received our confirmations that instead of boarding our first flight at 9 AM we now should take the train at 9.08 AM.

DAY 0 - 01/08/2022

As Anna would say "it's Coronation day!!" for me it was a night with little sleep, a room that was just to hot to fall asleep in and mindless scrolling on Tik-Tok hoping that at some point, I would fall asleep but alas with little to no sleep but full of adrenaline, I rose from the bed 30 minutes before the alarm was supposed to go off. Welcome to 4 AM Laurence! Wakey Wakey!

I got dressed, prepared some breakfast because even though my brother will only rise from his beauty sleep 30 min before departure (teenagers..), I knew he would be hungry by the moment he graces himself in the car for the drive to Dusseldorf. Small sidenote: Gaëtan (and Henk), by my opinion, have a bottomless stomachs. Gaëtan could have eaten all the sandwiches (6 in total) that I prepared but I snagged two before the Teenager Tornado passed.

Here is us, at 5.25 AM waiting for Henk to pick us up from the apartment my Mom and I live in:
IMG_0998.JPG

Yes, I look like a minion next to him and this is also the plain truth. The boy is towering above me! As we also read in the newspapers that we should make sure that our plain black/brown suitcases are "noticeable", I added some fluorescent stickers on our suitcases and went to a local Samsonite store to pick up personalized name tags. We DID not look tired even though I only slept maybe 2/3 hours?

We, off camera, weighted our suitcases (19 KG and 20 KG) and we were off to our pick-up point where Henk was picking us up!
Driving to Dusseldorf was uneventful, light rain but the music was full on Disney. Gaëtan and that point was already past his 4 sandwiches with local cheese and fast asleep (again)...

He woke just in time to board the train to Dusseldorf:

STKO7010.JPG

Ha that sweater will be long gone by the time we hit Orlando. Train ride was uneventful but we passed time in already looking at the MDE app and contemplating what we would be doing in 10 hours from now!

All well arrived in Frankfurt and what I feared and read in the newspapers of calamities at check-in, Border control, etc. etc. None if was present the day we flew to Orlando! We were passed check-in/security/passport control/second control all in 30 minutes. Meaning we largely over estimated our time but OK, better this than running for our flight (btw: I don't run, for nothing... not even rope-drop!)
LJTH7746.JPG

Given the amount of bags of Minnie visible on this picture you could already expect a full flight to Orlando. We sat ourselves at the gate 2 hours before departure given that the Frankfurt Airport does not offer that much entertainment on their international gates. I bought some Dorito's and a Coke zero and installed myself next to the other boys. Henk was taking a small nap and Gaëtan and I shared the bag of chips. 30 minutes before boarding the crew announced that the plane was still being cleaned and we would depart with an hour delay. No biggie, all fine as long as you don't cancel our flight last minute, I really could not care less. This day was already a no-park day so we did not had anything to lose.

Final Departure: 3 PM

Henk did us a superb favor by checking us in on the last row on the left side of the airplane giving Gaëtan enough space to stretch his legs. Timer on the screen mentioned 10 hours- to MCO.

Flight was uneventful, I watched 3 movies (Gucci thing movie, re-watched Casanova (absolutely LOVE this Movie) and The Eyes of Tammy Faye). The first 7 hours flew by but we didn't care about the 10 hours, we were so excited that we kept ourselves busy. Didn't take a picture of the meals on board but they were on-par with what to expect on a long haul flight. Had a pasta dish (penne with tomato saus), small salad, piece of bread and a dessert but all very tasteful. Did not order any alcohol but stayed on my go to drink (coke zero).

The 10 hours literally flew by and by the last 20 minutes, Gaëtan was also on the right side of the plane to see the launching pad of NASA. His first remark of the Orlando area was also that there was a lot of green flora and a lot of lakes :joyfull:!

Now, seated at the back is all fun and nice for leg space and a quick bathroom break BUT if you want to get to your destination and pass the border control, being on row 56 does not play in your advantage:p. All that efficiency at the German airport felt like a dream when waiting for over an hour in a semi-damp queue waiting to do a full check on our Belgian Background.

What I found strange is that, the Officer pre-sorting the queue towards the different border check booths, told us that our whole party could go as one towards a control booth yet the officer there would "make an exception" of treating us as one household given that we do not live on the same address. Maybe this is just me but we assumed that as we all are on one ESTA, we would also be "checked" as one group. Anyway, he asked us our whereabouts, took my fingerprints, the ones from Gaëtan (not those from Henk) and we were good to go! And good news, my Airtag also mentioned that 'BagT Laurence" was also spotted at MCO Airport. Halleluja!

Laurenciaa

Original Poster
Day 0 - Cont'd

I don't know which luggage good karma had been upon us but 2 minutes after passing the boarder control, I spotted 2 heavily fluo applied stickers passing on the conveyer belt. It must be our lucky day, efficient traveling was back baby!
HRHT1638.JPG

UNTIL, men are men and men sometimes do not listen to the woman in the group :D

As we were not supposed to check in at CBR until the next day, we booked a hotel at Hamptons Inn & Suites close to the Airport. Already while arriving in the main part of the terminal (around 8PM), I spotted an "A-side" and a "B-side". I asked Henk if this was of any importance for our pick-up and he said "no just let's go to level 1 where the shuttle is"... you can already feel what's about to happen..

While I waited in the seats located on the A-side, Henk called the shuttle service and they mentioned we needed to be at the B-Side... I again said: "should we not get over to the other side?", received a reply "No no, we will go out here on level one and B-04 should be here also"... by the time I convinced them using my location on WhatsApp and multiple calls later "where are you guys, you need to CROSS the entire airport to get to the other side", they not only wasted 35 min thinking they knew better but also the hotel shuttle already left and we had to call them again :D! At that point, honestly, I was irritated and hungry.. both form a dangerous combination!

Also yes, we were stuck in what I though was a mixture of tornado winds, enough rain for a month's worth and lighting situated right next to us!
IMG_1008.JPG

My shoes, cloths, hair, me as a general, were not prepared for this :D

Luckily the shuttle came within 5 minutes and we loaded our bags on the shuttle service.

Impression of the room:
WUFG6971.JPG

Gaëtan happy that he could access the Wifi and text his Mom and girlfriend that all was fine (it was already past 2 AM in Belgium). I texted my Mom and our Dad and that concluded our administration for the night. As this point the irritated Laurence was gone but my hunger for something remotely "foody" became urgent! We semi hurried over to the iHop across the hotel given that lighting was still going crazy at this time. As you can see from the pictures, I was beyond tired and happy I did not put my contacts in that day:
ICSB2672.JPG

Food was okay but felt like a freedom dance as we did not have had any filling foods since 10 hours. Gaëtan looked already dead asleep and Henk kept us going but also had tiny tiny eyes :D. We finished our Burgers/Buns/Toasts and we were ready for some nap time.
OXVZ8892.JPG

Once back in the hotel room it was already paste Midnight and at that time we were awake over 24 hours! Gaëtan and Henk were asleep within minutes and I followed shortly!

Sabrina1705

Hopefully your Trip was also worth your while :) Fijne werkdag gewenst Sabrina!
My trip was definitely worthwhile, thanks for asking! The gift I received a little less so :( (the damn COVID virus, despite 4 vaccinations). Last week I had planned a week of vacation here in Belgium but unfortunately had to cancel my fun moments.
This week, to be on the safe side, I'll be working at home all week. Better to be sure than to infect my team.

Following along your adventures!

Fijne avond Laurence!

Laurenciaa

Original Poster
DAY 1 - 02/08/2022 - MK

I rose at 6 AM Orlando time with Henk also already awake waiting to set-up Genie+ at 7 AM for our MK day. As I have been working until the day before we left, I still was in work-modus and did not captured yet that I actually was on my first day real day of Holiday. So, as a workaholic that I am, I worked until Genie+ became available. With some work done and overly active, I woke Gaëtan at 7/10AM. Gaëtan is NOT a morning person and really needs his time to start off the day whereas I am a morning and evening person.. luckily it did not clash during the Holiday :D

We got dressed and went downstairs to enjoy some breakfast offered by the hotel. I started off with a banana and a bagel and topped up with some bacon and a yoghurt.. 🤣.. so far my morning attempt to eat a "healthy" thing 😃.

I don't need to tell you that Henk and Gaëtan ate multiples of what I ate but what could I say? It was included in our room rate so do what you need to do!

The Uber driver shortly came by to pick us up and drop us off at CBR:
RHKD6730.JPG

Yes, Yes I et the boys do the loading of the luggage while I was "busy" putting my sunglasses on.. Delegation is KEY😅.
The rather silent driver cruised effortlessly towards our beloved destination:
YKEW8470.JPG

IT IS FINALLY TIME! Ha Gaëtan kept making tis remark "this is not possible, I can't believe it" in Dutch multiple times and I also had trouble believing that after 4 years of planning and rescheduling we finally were driving below the WDW sign!

A short drive further on and the uber driver dropped us off at the Caribbean Beach Resort. As it was only 8.30 AM, our room was not ready (obviously..). We dropped our bags at Bell services and set foot in the Main Lobby in the Old Port Royale section of the Resort. As many of you know the Resort is huugggeeee. We put in a request to be close to a bus station and skyliner station but so far we did not know if this would happen yes/no. Rita (halleluja for Rita), checked us in and helped us with all our MDE issues. As we could for some reason not be linked to the reservations made by Henk on his app, she tapped away on het PC, let us fill in our e-mail addresses on the PC so she could link us up and add my credit card to my Magic Band and the one from Gaëtan. We did not buy a MB+ given that this had/has no added value for us. I opted for Yellow this time and Gaëtan went with a black one.

We did not use the bus to go to MK as Henk wanted to show Gaëtan the ferry and the TTC. In hindsight he would have seen it during our AirBnB days but taking another Uber/Lyft and dropping us off at the TTC seemed a good idea!

Oh hey from us:
KIJB9508.JPG

On the Ferry to MK:
ENWD4219.JPG

Ah yesss reminds me again of the sizzling heat and the humidity. You will see in following days, my hair is down early in the morning or at night :D

Greetings from the Belgians in front of MK!!!
BNTP8807.JPG

As my memory serves me right, we got lucky (timewise) for Space Mountain. As the SM in Disneyland Paris is a real rollercoaster, Gaëtan was a bit surprised to see that the bar that served as a protection was not the same as in Paris. Little did he know that this SM is far more enjoyable and unexpected as the track in Paris:
IMG_1042.JPG

An award for "most elegant picture" we probably would not win but god that ride gives me the thrills. Gaëtan and I screamed and semi-cursed (in Dutch) our way through the attraction. We all agreed that this version is also AWESOME. I even prefer this one as I get a bit motion sick in the Paris version with the added screens along the track. First good impression was made and we proceeded to the next attraction, Haunted Mansion:
LAWW8119.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

As you can see on the picture below, I, for some reason was pointing to God knows what but it was just when the picture was taken:
QPKO8615.JPG

Anyway Gaëtan seemed to follow along with my story so good for me😃! He here also concluded that the attraction is WAYY more impressive than the one in Paris. The Graveyard scene and the scene of the endless stairs were supreme.

Wait lines were at that point starting to swell so we knew that the rides on our plate (without the LL) for this morning would become limited.

After almost becoming one of the 999 Happy Ghosts, we figured that we earned some sort of a snack. We heard that the Cheeseburger Spring Rolls could be worth a shot and that's what we did!
PVSG0680.JPG

Review of G and I: Success! Sauce was good, enough filling in the rolls. Also bought a Diet Coke and a water. This because we shortly discovered that the metal drinking bottles we took with us, we too large to put under the water fountains to fill them up "quickly". We used purchased bottles to re-use them during the holiday.

After our quick stop; we proceeded to our LL of Jungle Cruise. Did not take any pictures as I was laughing away but mid-cruise the mic of the CM broke down and the back of the boat (where we were situated) could not anymore understand what she was saying. bit of a pity as we were not able to do this ride again during our stay as JC has exaggerated waiting lines.

What I see from the pictures, we proceeded doing Pirates (my absolute favorite ride), The Enchanted Tiki Tiki Room and Pooh (LL snatched).

Laurenciaa

Original Poster
My trip was definitely worthwhile, thanks for asking! The gift I received a little less so :( (the damn COVID virus, despite 4 vaccinations). Last week I had planned a week of vacation here in Belgium but unfortunately had to cancel my fun moments.
This week, to be on the safe side, I'll be working at home all week. Better to be sure than to infect my team.

Following along your adventures!

Fijne avond Laurence!
Ha Sabrina, Henk here also Got COVID when returning home. I probably also had it but showed with no symptoms beside a 1-day migraine.?! Not even sure if that's a symptom but was spared from more discomfort. It still circles a lot but hopefully you did not had too much symptoms!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom