Beginning Of MK/Epcot/DHS Decline?

GrammieBee

Once again, we have ben visiting WDW every two to four years since 1974. Other than the Studios which is now a hot mess because of future expansion, the only place where we have noticed a decline is Future World in EPCOT. There really is considerably less to do than in times past. Almost nothing in the Innovations buildings, hardly anything in what was once Kodak's Imagination building and nothing in the Wonders of Life building. The Universe of Energy could also use some upgrading. We still enjoy Future World, but it is not, at this point in time, what it once was. I suspect this is partly because of a lack of corporate sponsers willing to spend the money.
With funds being spent for improvements first for the Magic Kingdom, now on Animal Kingdom and soon on the Studios, at some point Disney will get around to Future World. Hopefuly, sooner rather than later.
As I said, other than Future World, we don't see a decline (unless you count an army of strollers) and thoroughly enjoy our visits.

Phonedave

I'm going to say something here that a lot of folks won't agree with, but it's my opinion. I've seen many posts over the years from people who say that WDW (or DL) just doesn't have the magic that it used to. Usually these people have visited many times over many years, or maybe they visited when they were a bright-eyed kid and now they're jaded adults. It's my opinion that it's not the Disney parks that have declined - it's the fact that people have been one too many times and are approaching burnout (which can happen with any vacation destination). The problems that people attribute to modern day Disney have pretty much always been there - they just didn't notice them till recently. True, there are plenty of things that Disney could do better. But for me the "magic" is still there - it's all in how you choose to perceive the place.

Let the flames begin!

Not flaming you, just stating that your analysis is not correct in my case. Honestly, the addition of a huge E ticket ride does not mean that much to me. Fantasy land expansion - you can keep it. 7DMT - Meh. Be Our Guest - not all that thrilling - I don't need things like that to keep me comming back.

It really is the attention to the small details that made WDW for me. The immaculate landscaping, the cleanliness of the parks, the service offered by the CMs who went out of there way to make you feel special. So much of that is gone now. Despite the overall park attendance being strong, mine for one has gone down. I attend WDW a LOT less than I used to. I used to have an AP every year, not any more (I have one this year because we happen to be doing a family trip, but I no longer renew them as a matter of course). When I do go, I no longer spend as much money as I used to.

-dave

Princess Kaylee

This question is for longtime, regular park visitors. It has been made very clear in this forum that, notwithstanding recent planned additions, WDW in general has not been moving in a positive direction for quite some time, more specifically the decline at Epcot and DHS, as well as some questionable decisions at MK. My question is, when did this start happening? Has the state of Epcot & DHS been a gradual descent, or did it seem to happen quickly? Just curious as to what kind of timeline to put on it, as a gradual decline spread out over many years would seem to point the finger directly at Disney's lack of commitment to WDW.

The main problem with Epcot is that it has not been updated in YEARS. It is charming, but outdated. My mother said it looked almost identical to when she went in her twenties. DHS is cute, but it does not compare to California Adventure. Both parks need more GOOD rides.

rkleinlein

Disney World parks have been allowed to decline because Disney World is now a vacation destination in and of itself. Unlike the early days when people spent a couple of days at the Magic Kingdom as part of longer Florida vacation, now, with four parks and a ticket price structure which encourages longer stays, Disney World has become, for many, the entire family vacation. And even though Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom would fail if they were stand alone theme parks in separate locations, because they are part of an overall Disney World vacation, people go. You can only spend so many days in the Magic Kingdom.

Goofyernmost

Disney World parks have been allowed to decline because Disney World is now a vacation destination in and of itself. Unlike the early days when people spent a couple of days at the Magic Kingdom as part of longer Florida vacation, now, with four parks and a ticket price structure which encourages longer stays, Disney World has become, for many, the entire family vacation. And even though Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom would fail if they were stand alone theme parks in separate locations, because they are part of an overall Disney World vacation, people go. You can only spend so many days in the Magic Kingdom.
I'm not sure how what you said would have anything to do with why it might "decline". Perhaps you can explain. You have listed a cause, but, didn't explain why there would be an affect. :confused:o_O:)

It starts when Iger was sworn in as CEO...He's made some great acquisitions that ultimately could prove enormous positives for the parks, but until I see it, I blame Iger for the decline in major park offerings and general decline in maintenance.

MK Expansion was disappointing and jury is out for Avatar at AK and Star Wars at HS.

EPCOT needs about $2b in updates and at least 2-3 E-tickets. I'm already skeptical about Toy Story....just doesn't seem ambitious enough by Disney standards.

That all said, they still do an incredible job with what's there and I love it as much as ever. They do need to create new greatness because they are still standing on the shoulders of geniuses before the new regime.
Couldn't agree more. Igers' accension to the throne was the beginning of the end for " The World" as we knew it.

Goofyernmost

Couldn't agree more. Igers' accension to the throne was the beginning of the end for " The World" as we knew it.
That is so the opposite of what everyone was saying when he first got the job. They couldn't wait to get rid of Eisner (justifiably perhaps) and Iger was the new Messiah. He was going to return the parks to it perceived original glory. Moral of the story... be careful what you wish for.

rkleinlein

I'm not sure how what you said would have anything to do with why it might "decline". Perhaps you can explain. You have listed a cause, but, didn't explain why there would be an affect. :confused:o_O:)
Because it's a multi-day vacation destination for people from all over the world, people keep going to parks which have either declined or never reached the level of a Disney-worthy theme park in the first place--parks which would fail if they were stand-alone destinations. I don't take a Disney World vacation to go to Hollywood Studios. I go to Hollywood Studios because I'm there anyway, and even though there's not much to do there are a few good things, and a four or five day ticket is a much better value than a one or two day ticket. The people running the place realize they have a captive audience (4-7 days) and that they can therefore get away with cutting some corners in some some places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom