Beast's Castle - Does it "work"?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I mean I've seen it from afar during construction, and I've seen tons of photos of it.

I know Disney is known for brilliant forced perspective, but I'm not sure if it works as well as intended.

Perhaps more small "trees" around the front would make it more believable?

Magenta Panther

I have the same question! I've watched the wonderful new video walk-throughs of the New Fantasyland posted here, and it's hard to tell how well the forced perspective trick works for the castle, since images are flattened out on video and you get no real feeling of depth. When I visited WDW last December and saw the castle in person (from behind walls, of course), even then, I really couldn't decide whether it looked convincing or not. I kind of wished TDO had gone ahead and built a full-sized Beast Castle, even if it was just hollow inside. But maybe, in its finished form, with the rockwork and downsized surroundings, it'll look more authentic...

Pixiedustmaker

I'm used to seeing miniatures all the time in Disneyland on the Storybook Land Canal Boats. And I must say that the Beast's castle is the best miniature I have ever seen Disney do, and it is actually much bigger than anything in Storybook Land Canal Boats and it blends seamlessly with the surroundings, IMHO. Very impressed with the fake snow and little trees.

Would have liked the castle to be large, but then you wouldn't get the mountain and scenery as the castle would take up too much space.

Otamin

I mean I've seen it from afar during construction, and I've seen tons of photos of it.

I know Disney is known for brilliant forced perspective, but I'm not sure if it works as well as intended.

Perhaps more small "trees" around the front would make it more believable?
That's what I'm thinking.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
From the video it looked good, hopefully it will be as good in person. I would imagine from a children's prospective that it will look real

maxairmike

I think its great when you're farther away than the BoG bridge, but once you get to the bridge, it all disappears in my opinion. It just looks too small at that point.

When I was wandering around yesterday I only thought if worked at just the right angle, the east of the time it looked like a shed on top of some rocks

kap91

It always looks good, but the forced perspective looks best from Ariel's. the other side can seem a little off. Photos do not do justice.

MissM

I've just never liked the paint of it. Ever since it was painted, it looked like the primer to me. Like I was waiting for the "real" paint top coat to be finished. I still think the colors and paint job look weird. I'll have to see how I like it in person from within the area.

jjharvpro

The thing about the forced perspective is that the pictures DO NOT do it justice. All of these pictures and videos are SPECTACULAR and seriously bring me pure joy. But with the Beast's Castle itself, the forced perspective works so well IN PERSON. I haven't seen it since the previews have started but even while still under construction behind walls, it works. Cannot wait to see this all soon..I am in awe.

wiigirl

From the video it looked good, hopefully it will be as good in person. I would imagine from a children's prospective that it will look real

I thought it looked pretty real. :p
75.gif

MissM

Having seen it today in person, I'm still mixed. I think in some places and from some angles it looks great. I'm really "sold" on the perspective. From other angles though....eh, not as much. I still don't like the paint job. Though overall, the whole castle and rock face are VERY impressive from within the walls. The whole thing looks better now that you're not seeing it from over and around the construction walls.

MarkTwain

It does and it doesn't. I don't think the castle would really fool anybody into thinking it's full-sized, but at the same time I don't think most guests are fooled into thinking Peter Pan's Neverland is full-sized either. I think the castle succeeds in presenting what it is supposed to represent, even if it doesn't look "real."

TRONorail10

It does and it doesn't. I don't think the castle would really fool anybody into thinking it's full-sized, but at the same time I don't think most guests are fooled into thinking Peter Pan's Neverland is full-sized either. I think the castle succeeds in presenting what it is supposed to represent, even if it doesn't look "real."

MarkTwain is absolutely right. Most guests won't be fooled into thinking the castle is larger than it is. The imagineers know this. The castle is more of a focal/mental distraction as you enter the area. If you continue along the bridge, you immerse yourself even further into the woods and then take your mind off of the size of the castle. Next, the imagineers hit you with two tall iron gates. Now you are mentally focusing on actual scale again. The next mental trick is the two massive statues guarding the entry doors. Again, your mind is still thinking "big." When you enter the building, you have completely forgotten about the tiny castle, the authentic forest, the tall iron gates, and the massive statues. Your focus is now straight ahead to the distant ballroom beyond the elegant vestibule. They created a forced perspective within to lobby to make it seem a little smaller so that once you walk into the ballroom and immerse yourself into that area, you realize how large the space truly is. Everything is done for a reason at Disney, TRUST ME.

Magic Lamp

Having seen it today in person, I'm still mixed. I think in some places and from some angles it looks great. I'm really "sold" on the perspective. From other angles though....eh, not as much. I still don't like the paint job. Though overall, the whole castle and rock face are VERY impressive from within the walls. The whole thing looks better now that you're not seeing it from over and around the construction walls.
I am just wondering whether the mountain is "high" enough. From all the pictures and videos I have the impression the forced perspective may fail for some (tall guys like me) because of the lack of height, as the castle from the distance intended should appear a bit taller and wider than it really does, and it's awfully close to the mountain face.

JustInTime

I was very worried about this. But seeing in the video they added the larger tress around the base, it works a lot better. I like it.

MissM

I am just wondering whether the mountain is "high" enough. From all the pictures and videos I have the impression the forced perspective may fail for some (tall guys like me) because of the lack of height, as the castle from the distance intended should appear a bit taller and wider than it really does, and it's awfully close to the mountain face.
Yeah I could see it being a concern about not really being very high in the sky - especially if you're very tall. I'm 5' 6" so being overly tall isn't a problem for me. ;) It doesn't necessarily look like it's waaaaaay high up in the mountains in terms of being super high, but it does nestle in the rock work very well and it looks appropriate in it's surroundings.

I think if it had been kept behind tarps or something these past couple years so we all weren't used to seeing it, there might have been more impact. Since it was one of the first things visible from over the walls, in a lot of ways the problems we all have with it stem from familiarity I think.

DocMcHulk

The thing about the forced perspective is that the pictures DO NOT do it justice. All of these pictures and videos are SPECTACULAR and seriously bring me pure joy. But with the Beast's Castle itself, the forced perspective works so well IN PERSON. I haven't seen it since the previews have started but even while still under construction behind walls, it works. Cannot wait to see this all soon..I am in awe.
When i was there last, I asked my parents how tall the CASTLE was, and they told me several stories (4+). I then showed them this photo and they were stunned.
beastscastleconstruction1.jpg

AsanaDisney

When i was there last, I asked my parents how tall the CASTLE was, and they told me several stories (4+). I then showed them this photo and they were stunned.
beastscastleconstruction1.jpg
Thank you for sharing this picture! If it was out there before this I never saw it, but I was very curious as to the exact size of Beast's Castle. Great pic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom