Beastly Kingdom Concept Pictures

cherrynegra

Thanks for the link jr. Very interesting pictures. Really makes you wish there was a way for them to build that park. I'm going to try and run the page through babelfish to see what happens.

badnitrus

Wow... So basically, for those who could have an interest, Beastly Kingdom was supposed to be a land in Animal Kingdom, but plans were scrapped because of money. Eisner chose to showcase dinosaurs instead of mythological creatures and decided to market Dinosaur the movie with an E-ticket ride... movie which turned out to be a flop. Dinoland USA was given the green light. Beastly Kingdom, not. However, imagineers kept the plans to themselves and Disney believed that Animal Kingdom would be a huge success, therefore, that land would be constructed in the future.

Where did the plans go...
The article says that after Euro Disney was opened in 1992 (and at the time was considered a flop too), lots of imagineers were fired. Who hired them afterwards? Universal.

Years later, in 2000, Eisner makes a "secret" visit to Universal's Islands of Adventure and is surprised to see the Lost Continent. It was, and will always be, the symbol of what Eisner could not do (mythological themes). Eisner felt robbed... or at least disappointed that Universal did it first. Universal actually realized something that was originally supposed to be in Animal Kingdom. Nobody could say that Universal stole Disney's land... Disney never constructed the land.

So now, WDW will not make its original plan come true in the future. Eisner will not copy back on Universal and risk being called a stealer. Expedition Everest is being constructed on that part of the land instead. Beastly Kingdom will never be.

That article also mentions something incredibly interesting. Animal Kingdom's logo shows a dragon in the middle:
ak-logo.jpg

When it was designed, Beastly Kingdom was supposed to be one of the lands. And it's not. But even when Disney knew that land would not exist for the opening, it kept the same design. Why? Because in 1998, Beastly Kingdom was still in the plans for a future opening. Now, even though the dragon migrated to Universal's Islands of Adventures, he still sits by the Tree of Life and laughs at Eisner's failed project: Beastly Kingdom. Currently, we know Expedition Everest is Disney's response and that the mythological land will never exist. So the logo might as well change in the future. And it's true now, where can you find a dragon in Animal Kingdom?

I'm not sure about the whole "the imagineers were hired by Universal and created The Lost Continent based on their work for Disney"... but the article shows how different Animal Kingdom could have been... Three amazing rides ideas.

jrriddle

Original Poster
Well I hope it works better than the google translator.
I had to read it twice to piece it together.

jrriddle

Original Poster
Originally posted by badnitrus
Wow... So basically, for those who could have an interest, Beastly Kingdom was supposed to be a land in Animal Kingdom, but plans were scrapped because of money. Eisner chose to showcase dinosaurs instead of mythological creatures and decided to market Dinosaur the movie with an E-ticket ride... movie which turned out to be a flop. Dinoland USA was given the green light. Beastly Kingdom, not. However, imagineers kept the plans to themselves and Disney believed that Animal Kingdom would be a huge success, therefore, that land would be constructed in the future.

Where did the plans go...
The article says that after Euro Disney was opened in 1992 (and at the time was considered a flop too), lots of imagineers were fired. Who hired them afterwards? Universal.

Years later, in 2000, Eisner makes a "secret" visit to Universal's Islands of Adventure and is surprised to see the Lost Continent. It was, and will always be, the symbol of what Eisner could not do (mythological themes). Eisner felt robbed... or at least disappointed that Universal did it first. Universal actually realized something that was originally supposed to be in Animal Kingdom. Nobody could say that Universal stole Disney's land... Disney never constructed the land.

So now, WDW will not make its original plan come true in the future. Eisner will not copy back on Universal and risk being called a stealer. Expedition Everest is being constructed on that part of the land instead. Beastly Kingdom will never be.

That article also mentions something incredibly interesting. Animal Kingdom's logo shows a dragon in the middle:
ak-logo.jpg

When it was designed, Beastly Kingdom was supposed to be one of the lands. And it's not. But even when Disney knew that land would not exist for the opening, it kept the same design. Why? Because in 1998, Beastly Kingdom was still in the plans for a future opening. Now, even though the dragon migrated to Universal's Islands of Adventures, he still sits by the Tree of Life and laughs at Eisner's failed project: Beastly Kingdom. Currently, we know Expedition Everest is Disney's response and that the mythological land will never exist. So the logo might as well change in the future. And it's true now, where can you find a dragon in Animal Kingdom?

I'm not sure about the whole "the imagineers were hired by Universal and created The Lost Continent based on their work for Disney"... but the article shows how different Animal Kingdom could have been... Three amazing rides ideas.

Hey "Thanks" for the translation. So much better than Google.
This seems to be in line with Jim Hills article as well as some other things I've read on the net.

RIP Beastly Kingdom

badnitrus

OMG, :lol: :lol: :lol: Google's translation was hilarious!!!
Anyway, don't take my message as a word for word translation. It's barely a recap... But that's all we need to know I think.

se8472

Yes that is something I never knew. Wish it was there but oh well. Maybe someone can come up with a new idea or something.

But as for the Dragon, I always took it as being from Asia.

jrriddle

Original Poster
I've mentioned this before. I still think Beastly Kingdom will be eventually built, but as Narnia (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe). Provided that the Disney movie(s?) are a success.

NADisney

The Dragon's Cave still sits near the entrance to camp minnie-mickey where the beastly kingdom was supposed to be ( I think they called it StoryBookLand back in 1997 at the prview center, I might be wrong ).

...Anyway,I recall watching the flames come out of the cave when the Riverboats passed by it when they worked on Discovery River.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you are remotley interested in WDW this book is a MUST!! Its literally a bible on WDW, by Disney. Packed full of photos, plans, trivia and dates, going way back to the original 1967 phase 1. I know there are a few on Ebay, I don`t know if its still in print. Try Amazon?? You want Since the World Began by Jeff Kurtti, published 1996 by Hyperion. ISBN 0-7868-6248-3 (hardcover) 0-7868-8219-0 (softcover).

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
we we we we we, (that is all the french i know) lol cool site. :sohappy:

thanks for the info on the book, im looking that up right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom