Beach Club Resort - 20 Month Refurb

WDWYankee15

Original Poster
Orlando Theme Park News posted the following this morning:

One of the most luxurious Walt Disney World Resort hotels will soon receive a major facelift that should last almost two years. In fact, Cast Members working at various locations around Disney's Beach Club Resort have recently been alerted about a major refurbishment project. The official advisory stated that the hotel would be "undergoing refurbishment through the next 20 months." If you plan on visiting the hotel, make sure to take note of this.

–----------

Can anyone else confirm this? If so, could you provide some more details?

My family is trying to rent DVC points to stay at Beach Club next August. Our plans centered around staying mainly at the resort to enjoy Stormalong Bay and some of the other great things about WDW outside the 4 parks.

Please help as I don't want to lock into a point purchase and be very disappointed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Orlando Theme Park News posted the following this morning:

One of the most luxurious Walt Disney World Resort hotels will soon receive a major facelift that should last almost two years. In fact, Cast Members working at various locations around Disney's Beach Club Resort have recently been alerted about a major refurbishment project. The official advisory stated that the hotel would be "undergoing refurbishment through the next 20 months." If you plan on visiting the hotel, make sure to take note of this.

–----------

Can anyone else confirm this? If so, could you provide some more details?

My family is trying to rent DVC points to stay at Beach Club next August. Our plans centered around staying mainly at the resort to enjoy Stormalong Bay and some of the other great things about WDW outside the 4 parks.

Please help as I don't want to lock into a point purchase and be very disappointed.

If it's announced it is probably happening, I'm guessing and only guessing it's a De-Furbishment like what's happening at WL where the theming is being removed from the rooms in favor of the new "One Resort" color scheme where everything is off white or beige and is no longer themed to a single resort in order to allow 'Economy of Scale' in purchasing.

Blech:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cosmic Commando

Is there more room for DVC over there? Or maybe this will be the first project to change regular rooms into DVC? Contemporary, Poly and Grand Flo got big refurbishments to go along with DVC.

articos

If it's announced it is probably happening, I'm guessing and only guessing it's a De-Furbishment like what's happening at WL where the theming is being removed from the rooms in favor of the new "One Resort" color scheme where everything is off white or beige and is no longer themed to a single resort in order to allow 'Economy of Scale' in purchasing.

Blech:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
It is happening, and will still keep the theme. WDI has been working on the update for some time. It's a phased redo of the entire property and the first major refurb of the property to this extent since it opened. And it is badly needed.

alissafalco

It is happening, and will still keep the theme. WDI has been working on the update for some time. It's a phased redo of the entire property and the first major refurb of the property to this extent since it opened. And it is badly needed.
Do you know when this will be begin?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Not questioning the NEED for a REFURBISHMENT, However what was done at the WL can only be classified as a de-furbishment. I assume you have seen what WDI did to the WL offwhite bedclothes and paint everywhere (which is peeling less than 6 months after application).

I'm hoping you are correct in that they will keep the unique room themes rather than the 'One Resort' theme which has been spreading over WDW.

WDWYankee15

Original Poster
Will it effect the pool, ala Poly? Would you stay there during this refurb? I was glad I wasn't staying at Poly this year when we went over for dinner at Ohana. What a mess.

articos

Do you know when this will be begin?
"Winter." Don't have specific dates.

Not questioning the NEED for a REFURBISHMENT, However what was done at the WL can only be classified as a de-furbishment. I assume you have seen what WDI did to the WL offwhite bedclothes and paint everywhere (which is peeling less than 6 months after application).

I'm hoping you are correct in that they will keep the unique room themes rather than the 'One Resort' theme which has been spreading over WDW.
I don't have as much of an issue with the recent refurbs. WL rooms are still unique and themed to WL, and much of the individual soft goods and room furniture/decor are unique to WL. They may be less ornate but that's pretty normal - when first built, there's more money and time put into the theming and design. For refurbs, less money is put in and it's on a tighter schedule, which means less theme and embellishment. The WL refurb was a refresh compared to what is happening for Beach Club, which is major renovation. The rooms will still be unique to BC, but I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion on whether the theme is still what they want or not.

Will it effect the pool, ala Poly? Would you stay there during this refurb? I was glad I wasn't staying at Poly this year when we went over for dinner at Ohana. What a mess.
Stormalong Bay will not be majorly affected. I would probably stay at Yacht or other resorts while the work is being done on Beach, but that's me. Depends on your tolerance level. :)

zooey

First I'm hearing of this... my reaction is whaaaat?
This sounds terrible. There should be more outrage about something like this.

CDavid

WL rooms are still unique and themed to WL, and much of the individual soft goods and room furniture/decor are unique to WL. They may be less ornate but that's pretty normal - when first built, there's more money and time put into the theming and design. For refurbs, less money is put in and it's on a tighter schedule, which means less theme and embellishment. The WL refurb was a refresh compared to what is happening for Beach Club, which is major renovation. The rooms will still be unique to BC, but I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion on whether the theme is still what they want or not.

I understand your point, and certainly hope you are correct and the Beach Club refurbishment turns out well, but recent resort refurbishments - honestly - have left much to be desired. And that's not even considering the half-baked, ill-conceived hatchet job which has so butchered and ruined the Polynesian.

It shouldn't ever be acceptable for a hotel refurbishment to be any "less ornate" (inferior theming or style) than the original design. As you note, it all comes down to money (as usual); Why should a necessary (and appropriate) refurbishment constitute an excuse for compromising the resort experience? If a park attraction gets a major refurbishment, should we also expect a lesser, cheapened experience?

A proper budget should be provided to take the time and effort to maintain a resort properly. Excusing a mediocre effort because "its a refurbishment" is just another way of trying to explain away Disney's failure to maintain its own standards and guest expectations.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I understand your point, and certainly hope you are correct and the Beach Club refurbishment turns out well, but recent resort refurbishments - honestly - have left much to be desired. And that's not even considering the half-baked, ill-conceived hatchet job which has so butchered and ruined the Polynesian.

It shouldn't ever be acceptable for a hotel refurbishment to be any "less ornate" (inferior theming or style) than the original design. As you note, it all comes down to money (as usual); Why should a necessary (and appropriate) refurbishment constitute an excuse for compromising the resort experience? If a park attraction gets a major refurbishment, should we also expect a lesser, cheapened experience?

A proper budget should be provided to take the time and effort to maintain a resort properly. Excusing a mediocre effort because "its a refurbishment" is just another way of trying to explain away Disney's failure to maintain its own standards and guest expectations.

Exactly - much more kindly said than what I was preparing to post.

Figment2005

Have you seen the finished sections of the poly? If you're basing a refurb soley on the fountain removal, then I urge you to step away from the tunnel vision. Based on the bits and pieces that are slowly coming out from behind construction walls, the poly refurb is an upgrade. Will there be anything in the lobby to compare to the fountain, no, but the rest of the resort, including the entrance to the GCH will not disappoint. Add many of you seem to believe, Disney has not lost their quality touch, you just think they have because the changes have not been what you think they should have been.

TinkerBelle8878

If it has anything to do with DVC..it probably won't be something that guests are going to be happy about. The building of all the extra rooms at Y and B for the original DVC back years ago, already overcrowded what used to be a really beautiful and quiet resort. The only plus I could possibly see (and one that I know will never happen) would be to get rid of all those extra rooms and bring back what it was when it opened.

articos

I agree wholeheartedly. But that is the reality of Disney and many (most) others, unfortunately. When a new resort is planned, a ton of money is allocated to that project. Designers are allocated to the project for a year or more. For a refurb, the budgets come from different places, and they are only what is necessary. And the people working on them may have multiple projects on their plate at once. Nature of the beast. I do agree the Poly has not been held to the standard it should be when it comes to the changes made there. There are others who think the same within WDI as well, and there is a desire to rectify the problem in future refurbishments to come (which is starting with the current work being done).

With regards to the recent work, some of the problem is money, and some is just choice by designers - there's just not as much care put into the projects as in the past, and some of the work is outsourced. And it's not just refurbs: if you look at the Grand Floridian Villas - I think they're beautiful, but sterile. Without being on the Disney property and with the Mickeys scattered throughout, that building could be any hotel, anywhere. That's a choice that was made as a compromise in the design process - they went with high-end hospitality grade choices, as opposed to going with more custom choices that may have happened in the past. Part budget, part design.

If a park attraction gets a major refurbishment, should we also expect a lesser, cheapened experience? Should we expect it? No. Does it happen? Absolutely. Sad but true.

That said, I don't think the recent refurbishments have been that bad, but everyone has their opinions. :)

Last edited:

articos

Exactly - much more kindly said than what I was preparing to post.
Ouch. ;)

Based on the bits and pieces that are slowly coming out from behind construction walls, the poly refurb is an upgrade. Will there be anything in the lobby to compare to the fountain, no, but the rest of the resort, including the entrance to the GCH will not disappoint. Add many of you seem to believe, Disney has not lost their quality touch, you just think they have because the changes have not been what you think they should have been.
Exactly.

If it has anything to do with DVC..it probably won't be something that guests are going to be happy about. The building of all the extra rooms at Y and B for the original DVC back years ago, already overcrowded what used to be a really beautiful and quiet resort. The only plus I could possibly see (and one that I know will never happen) would be to get rid of all those extra rooms and bring back what it was when it opened.
Has nothing to do with DVC. This is a building-wide much needed redo.

TarzanRocked99-

Beach Club will have a rolling 250 rooms out of order through late Summer 2015 and the Yacht Club will start after that and also go 250 rooms at a time. Boardwalk Inn will also have 200 rooms out of order in 2016. Add to that the Swan will have 600 rooms completed by end of this year and in 2015 they will do the remaining 150 in that building and take 750 rooms out at the Dolphin for renovation. LOTS of work getting the product in the Epcot Collection back up to current industry standards.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Have you seen the finished sections of the poly? If you're basing a refurb soley on the fountain removal, then I urge you to step away from the tunnel vision. Based on the bits and pieces that are slowly coming out from behind construction walls, the poly refurb is an upgrade. Will there be anything in the lobby to compare to the fountain, no, but the rest of the resort, including the entrance to the GCH will not disappoint. Add many of you seem to believe, Disney has not lost their quality touch, you just think they have because the changes have not been what you think they should have been.

Like the birdbath with the Tiki god, Disney has TOTALLY forgotten how to do quality since Iger arrived it's been how do we do this on the cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom