Beach Club Resort - 20 Month Refurb

alissafalco

Maybe not anymore, but they were down significantly over the summer months. As I said above, I looked into it one day just out of curiosity and would've been able to book for $325 had I been stupid enough.
Like I said $325 is what it always dips to during certain times of the year. That's what my family and I paid when we stayed there in sept. 2012. That is not significantly discounted rooms based on construction, that they have not done. A significantly discounted room for the poly based on construction should be $150 a night. The rooms are not discounted based on construction at all.

Next Big Thing

Like I said $325 is what it always dips to during certain times of the year. That's what my family and I paid when we stayed there in sept. 2012. That is not significantly discounted rooms based on construction, that they have not done. A significantly discounted room for the poly based on construction should be $150 a night. The rooms are not discounted based on construction at all.
I'm not saying it's a crazy discount, especially when you consider you're still paying over $300 for the construction zone the poly is.

However, it was July when I checked. Now I don't check Poly prices often, but I have to think that $325 isn't normal for July. Although again that doesn't necessarily mean it was for construction. WDW (and Orlando in general) had a pretty bad summer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
hehe. Thanks. I'm not defending, just saying what's happening. You're comparing what they did with Lodge which was a refresh & paint to what they're doing here, which is gutting rooms which haven't been touched since opening. I don't think it's as bad as you do, but I do agree the standards are definitely not where they were. Or should be.

I completely agree with you here, though. The prices they get away with for the deluxe product is insane, and I don't know how or why people pay them. The product itself - in only some of the deluxe resorts - is worth $150-300, not including the premium for being on the property. Tack on another $75-100 for being on-site, and that still doesn't add up to $900. Per night. Crazy.

I think we are in agreement here. We are founding members at BLT in addition to being long term at other DVC properties and I'm appalled at the downgrade in construction and furnishing quality at the new resorts and some of the so called re-furbs which truthfully must be called de-furbs because while new they have been several steps down in quality.

The part which angers me is these are paid for by our member fees which supposedly are used to maintain properties in an as-built condition which includes refurbishments.

With the WL as the most recent and glaring case I really think we as owners are going to need to sue for misuse of our member fees at some point in the not too distant future

Note I'm not surprised that HHI refurbishment was done to the standards we historically have seen from Disney, It is not part of TDO and their value dimunition field.

This IS a TDO problem the TDO culture is all about cutting corners and spending as little as possible while charging as much as possible.

disneydudette

That article is a tad misleading...

The refurbishment has ALREADY started... last week in fact... 5th floor (Club Level) rooms are out of inventory.

Here's a quote from another forum's FAQ thread in regards to the refurbishment:

The upcoming refurb will be a hard goods renovation. Rooms will be stripped down everything from new sinks, new air conditioning units, new everything pretty much except the TVs are probably staying since they are fairly new.

The work will start with the renovation and expansion of the Club Level lounge. While the work is being done, club level offerings will be available in the Presidential Suite. After the lounge is completed, work will move onto the actual rooms on the 5th floor. Then, the work will continue on other rooms, floor by floor, until they have all been renovated.

The Club Level was already expanded, refurbished, and re-opened... though has closed due to the club level room refurbishment.

A Beach Club CM who posts regularly to the thread has mentioned nothing in regards to 'public spaces' being refurbished... such as SAB, Cape Map, Lobby, etc. All renovations should be contained to hallways and rooms.

Rumors suggest that once the renovation is complete, construction will move to the Villas for a similar refurbishment.

Goofnut1980

I'm glad to see a renovation. As many guests as these resorts see, I am surprised Disney doesn't have them on a rotation for every 10-12 years. I would think it would keep costs down.

wdwfan22

I've seen it lower than that, down to $325 at one point.

Still, it's obviously not worth it at the moment (although they are giving guests free admission to Blizzard Beach every night of their stay). My point was, when I had seen it at $325, that was pretty much 50% of rack rate (which is sad in itself).

The $325 a night was during value season which comes out to a 35% discount. The discount has been the standard offer for deluxe resorts during the special promotion periods. They have not been offering any more off at polynesian due to construction.

WDWYankee15

Original Poster
That article is a tad misleading...

The refurbishment has ALREADY started... last week in fact... 5th floor (Club Level) rooms are out of inventory.

Here's a quote from another forum's FAQ thread in regards to the refurbishment:

The Club Level was already expanded, refurbished, and re-opened... though has closed due to the club level room refurbishment.

A Beach Club CM who posts regularly to the thread has mentioned nothing in regards to 'public spaces' being refurbished... such as SAB, Cape Map, Lobby, etc. All renovations should be contained to hallways and rooms.

Rumors suggest that once the renovation is complete, construction will move to the Villas for a similar refurbishment.
Thanks for this info. Where are theseother posts so I can check them out?

willtravel

Are any of these rooms being turned into DVC'S? Not sure if they could. Can't imagine what the room rates will be after refurb. Someone has to pay for it....

RSoxNo1

Have you seen the finished sections of the poly? If you're basing a refurb soley on the fountain removal, then I urge you to step away from the tunnel vision. Based on the bits and pieces that are slowly coming out from behind construction walls, the poly refurb is an upgrade. Will there be anything in the lobby to compare to the fountain, no, but the rest of the resort, including the entrance to the GCH will not disappoint. Add many of you seem to believe, Disney has not lost their quality touch, you just think they have because the changes have not been what you think they should have been.
I will preface this by saying that I haven't viewed the areas of the Poly that came out of the refurb, however I have seen the stripped down DVC building for the Grand Floridian. I sincerely hope that isn't the new normal.

Magenta Panther

It is happening, and will still keep the theme. WDI has been working on the update for some time. It's a phased redo of the entire property and the first major refurb of the property to this extent since it opened. And it is badly needed.

Glad to read that BC is getting some love, but wow, 20 months. Is it rotting or sinking or something?

disneydudette

It is happening, and will still keep the theme. WDI has been working on the update for some time. It's a phased redo of the entire property and the first major refurb of the property to this extent since it opened. And it is badly needed.

Yes. Public areas will be addressed as well...

I haven't heard/read/seen any information... to support what you're suggesting.

It's not to say an entire resort refurbishment is 'completely out of the question'... but there's been no rumors or rumblings to suggest it in the immediate future. Could Cape May close for a brief refurbishment? Absolutely... SAB? Certainly and they have before (in sections that is.) The Market Place? Always a possibility.

I've known about the room/hallways refurbishment since early Summer... and as mentioned earlier... it has already started... not 'Winter' as you've suggested in another post.

The last time the BC rooms were refurbished... was 2008. This is WAY OVER DUE... the bathrooms especially are well past 'worn'. As far as 'most of us' knew... this is expected to be complete room overhaul.

Apologies if my post is coming off as 'agressive' or an 'attack'... not my intention. Just trying to understand what information you have as it seems to be new information me.

Thanks for this info. Where are theseother posts so I can check them out?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3326031

Are any of these rooms being turned into DVC'S? Not sure if they could. Can't imagine what the room rates will be after refurb. Someone has to pay for it....

Not that I know of... at least not at the moment!

When the GF and BWI underwent their refurbishment... there was no change/excessive increase in room rates.

Even Disney knows when it's time...

Glad to read that BC is getting some love, but wow, 20 months. Is it rotting or sinking or something?

This is the first time I'm hearing of an actual time line... though I agree... seems extremely excessive.

Actual construction for Polynesian DVC 'roughly' started January of 2014.

They're claiming completion... which includes 20 bungalows, 3 longhouse conversions, dinning refurbishments, lobby redo, and 2 new pool areas... to be done by June 2015.

That's only 18mo.

I can't imagine why the BC would take longer... UNLESS... the timeline given also included the Villas.

Last edited:

Defend10

WDW (and Orlando in general) had a pretty bad summer.

Say what? "Orlando International Airport, which saw arrivals increase by 4.2% in August, has approved an expansion plan that could see annual fliers reach 45 million by 2020, while tourism figures suggest overall Florida visitor numbers are set to reach a high of 100million by the end of the year." for example. I'm unsure of where you got the impression that anyone had a bad summer?

Father Robinson

Any word on if the lobby or Cape May Cafe will be affected? I also hope they don't change the lobby music loop and the Green clover and aloe scent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom