Beach Club Resort - 20 Month Refurb

CDavid

There was nothing wrong with the room refresh at grand floridian. I've stayed three times since the rehab and rooms are in great condition and look great. I have also talked to other guests during my visits that have been to the grand before and everyone loves the new look.

Since they are recently refurbished, they ought to look great, but a fresh and new appearance doesn't mean the style and design choices were appropriate for the theme. And everyone doesn't like them.

The first pic is the old style, second pic is the refreshed room.

The first pic looks like a properly themed Victorian resort.

The second pic looks like a slightly upscale Hampton Inn.

Good grief. If guests are looking for a modern appearance to their hotel room, perhaps they shouldn't book a Victorian themed resort (and then complain that, essentially, it looks too Victorian). I know people say these rooms are nicer than Hampton Inn, but they really do have a similar look & feel to the design - but Hampton is maybe one-fifth the price of the Grand Floridian.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Keep in mind....guests abuse their rooms

That's true but GOOD hotels use furnishings and finishes which can take a few years of abuse. There is no excuse for rust stains in the BLT showers after 6 months, Just as there is no excuse for the new paint peeling from the cabinets in the WL. That's poor materials and preparation.

There is no excuse for dirty walls at the GF the paint specified should have been cleanable.

There is a 10 year old Hampton Inn close to where I live and where relatives stay when they visit (I pay it's worth it) and the rooms are still original and they are in far better shape than the ones shown in the GF thread and they are doing a refurb now. The inside pool now has a sand bottom.

I'm sorry Disney is NOT putting out a good hotel product, no matter what the 'Dusters want to believe.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Since they are recently refurbished, they ought to look great, but a fresh and new appearance doesn't mean the style and design choices were appropriate for the theme. And everyone doesn't like them.

Good grief. If guests are looking for a modern appearance to their hotel room, perhaps they shouldn't book a Victorian themed resort (and then complain that, essentially, it looks too Victorian). I know people say these rooms are nicer than Hampton Inn, but they really do have a similar look & feel to the design - but Hampton is maybe one-fifth the price of the Grand Floridian.

Rooms are on a par with Hilton Garden Inn - not a deluxe brand

MarkTwain

I guess I'll go against the grain and say I like the new look of the GF rooms. I don't do interior design (just an architect) but I've gotten my feet wet now and then. Wallpaper prints are generally regarded as looking very dated by today's interior design standards, and modern hotels almost universally prefer white covers now because they can be cleaned much more easily and frequently then covers with elaborate prints (and the once-questionable hygiene of hotel bed covers has been an issue that has come up a lot in recent years). Throw in the much grander headboard design and the bolder, more attractive color scheme, and I would call the new room style an improvement.

That said, I must admit Disney has a very patchy track record with their recent hotel refurbs – the Polynesian in particular.

EDIT: And yes, I get that the modern design might not look completely "Victorian", but neither particularly did the previous room style. There are still some expectations by guests for a room to look and function like a contemporary deluxe hotel. No one wants to go to Wilderness Lodge and not have air conditioning, or go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and have to swat at tsetse flies. If anything, I would say the modern GF rooms look as much like a contemporary take on Victorian design as much as the old rooms look like a 1990s take on Victorian design.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just because that is what you choose to call them, does not mean that is what they are called.

Not even close, your Disney hate seems to be clouding your judgement.

I guess calling Disney out on their recent lack of quality is called hate these days, how long have YOU been going to Disney. In my case it's 30 years. And what passes for quality today would have gotten the manager in charge fired in the pre Iger era.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Although only a moderate resort, I dig the new rooms at CBR.

Bottom line is that BC is dated and needs this major overhaul. I am going to hold my judgment until I actually see what they do. 20 months is a significant amount of time to be under a refurb.

googilycub

I guess calling Disney out on their recent lack of quality is called hate these days, how long have YOU been going to Disney. In my case it's 30 years. And what passes for quality today would have gotten the manager in charge fired in the pre Iger era.

My first trip was in May 1979. Here is something for you to chew on, judging by your MANY posts over the last week or so, you are unhappy with the current state of the parks. So stop going! Stop spending your money there. After all, if you keep going while being that upset, I think PT Barnum's famous quote describes you....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I guess since I sleep in hotels more than my own bed most years
I have a bit higher expectation of hotels than the average WDW guest and I know what a kilobuck hotel room looks like on several continents and sorry Disney does not even come CLOSE these days with their thousand buck properties with room quality, size or amenities.

At most Hilton's $500 or so buys you a suite on the executive level with access to the lounge which includes a light meal of snacks and free beverages if you are Diamond a drink or two on the house usually wine.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My first trip was in May 1979. Here is something for you to chew on, judging by your MANY posts over the last week or so, you are unhappy with the current state of the parks. So stop going! Stop spending your money there. After all, if you keep going while being that upset, I think PT Barnum's famous quote describes you....

I also enjoy making pixie dusters heads explode it's almost more fun than going to Disney

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Urgh, disgraceful what they've done. The new ones look so cheap.
Pictures do not do the new GF rooms justice. I was skeptical when I saw pictures of the refurb rooms, and then I spent a week in one. In person the decor is tastefully elegant, with some hidden Mickey and Alice touches. The padded headboards are much kinder to sit against than wood ones, and the mattresses are very comfortable and the bedding super soft. I have stayed in all the Disney deluxe resorts and the new GF rooms are worthy of "flagship" status.

Until one experiences a room in person (whether GF or another resort) criticism is of little value.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pictures do not do the new GF rooms justice. I was skeptical when I saw pictures of the refurb rooms, and then I spent a week in one. In person the decor is tastefully elegant, with some hidden Mickey and Alice touches. The padded headboards are much kinder to sit against than wood ones, and the mattresses are very comfortable and the bedding super soft. I have stayed in all the Disney deluxe resorts and the new GF rooms are worthy of "flagship" status.

Until one experiences a room in person (whether GF or another resort) criticism is of little value.

Been there done that - not happy with the quality like I said Hilton Garden Quality at best not worth what I paid. It also pales in comparison to its inspiration the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. Where a standard room is about $350 and the rooms are far nicer and better kept.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Sorry dude I've also stayed in all the so called Deluxe hotels, Not one of the is on a par with a real deluxe hotel. They are on par with with Hilton and Marriott 'value' brands like Hilton Garden and Courtyard. Yes they do have better lobbies.

But the rooms, services and amenities are SORELY lacking, Even most Hilton Garden Inn's have a full room service menu till 10PM and sandwiches after that.

What can you get in your room at a 'deluxe' in WDW cold tasteless pizza Sorry that's a Days Inn level of service for 4 star price.

LeRaposa

It's about time they fixed up this place. I feel spoiled after staying at Portofino Bay's concierge because the lounge there is terrific. Lots of food and plenty of places to sit in the morning. Beach Club (as well as Yacht Club) on the other hand has this tiny little lounge and from what I recall poor selection in food (in the morning that is). The Marketplace also needs fixing up as it has no seats. Building an actual area to sit would be nice.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Been there done that - not happy with the quality like I said Hilton Garden Quality at best not worth what I paid. It also pales in comparison to its inspiration the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. Where a standard room is about $350 and the rooms are far nicer and better kept.

Except the hotel del Coronado is not on the monorail. For hotels like Poly and GF you are also paying for conveniences and locations. So comparing it to a hotel in San Diego is not really fair.

And in regards to HGI, there are a lot them that are far from what you are trying to make them out to be. Luckily over the last 5 years they have improved a lot overall.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Except the hotel del Coronado is not on the monorail. For hotels like Poly and GF you are also paying for conveniences and locations. So comparing it to a hotel in San Diego is not really fair.

And in regards to HGI, there are a lot them that are far from what you are trying to make them out to be. Luckily over the last 5 years they have improved a lot overall.
Exactly!!
Sorry dude I've also stayed in all the so called Deluxe hotels, Not one of the is on a par with a real deluxe hotel. They are on par with with Hilton and Marriott 'value' brands like Hilton Garden and Courtyard. Yes they do have better lobbies.

But the rooms, services and amenities are SORELY lacking, Even most Hilton Garden Inn's have a full room service menu till 10PM and sandwiches after that.

What can you get in your room at a 'deluxe' in WDW cold tasteless pizza Sorry that's a Days Inn level of service for 4 star price.
I am not a dude. And I am too much of a lady to get into an argument with you. You have your opinion and I have mine.

wdwfan22

wdwfan22

You show me a Hampton inn that looks like the pic of the Floridian and i'll be surprised. The old Floridian rooms were worn and outdated the new rooms are refreshed and just what the resort needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom