Beach club or Poly?

durangojim

I know this is a purely subjective question, but as people who've stayed at the Beach Club multiple times and love it for the pool, location, and bright ambience, we're a little concerned although interested in staying at the Poly even though the rooms look darker and it isn't within walking distance to any park (although it has the monorail). Opinions from people who have stayed at both or just plain prefer the Poly?

MaxsDad

I've stayed at both and it is real close for the pick. Both are outstanding IMO. If I was booking today, especially for the F&G festival/summer/F&W festival months (March-Oct), I would go Beach Club.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

As far as theming and grounds, the Poly definitely gets the pick.
However, you truly can't beat the location of Beach Club (Boardwalk is usually our top pick out of all places to stay). We never miss visiting the Poly for some Tonga Toast for breakfast, so we always get to enjoy the ambiance one way or another.
In the end, the convenience of location of Boardwalk (or Beach Club) can't be beat as an everyday home base!

Good luck choosing and enjoy your trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Pros (and minimal cons, IMO) for both. I'd go Poly with smaller kids if you will be frequenting MK and want to go to the hotel for mid-day breaks. I'd go BC in the warmer months to use the spectacular pool, or with older kids (or no kids) where you may be frequenting HS, EPCOT or the Boardwalk area in the evenings.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I stayed at Yacht Club (hated it) not Beach Club. Stayed at the Poly several times.

Beach Club obviously wins for convenience to both Epcot and DHS, however, Poly isn't far behind where Epcot is concerned as you have the monorail. Magic Kingdom is no contest. It's a nightmare getting there from BC.

Food wise - Toss up. You've got a couple good restaurants at Yacht and Beach, plus Epcot, plus Boardwalk. But Poly has 2 great restaurants, plus all the restaurants of the Contemporary and Grand Floridian just a hop away. I'd give the edge though to the Poly as their counter service is much better than BC, plus it's open 24 hours.

Ambiance - Depends what you're looking for. Hands down for me, Poly wins. Palm trees, hammocks on the beach, Polynesian music.

Rooms - No contest, Poly's are better. The rooms in the 8 older longhouses are about 40 sq ft bigger than BC, and the rooms in the 3 newer longhouses are about 100 sq ft bigger.

Upvote 0

tikiman

Well I will start by saying you can’t go wrong with either and I have stayed at the Polynesian and the Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin more than once so I know the Epcot and Magic Kingdom area well.
I will start by saying the Polynesian is my favorite resort but I am not here to tell you what resort you should like better. I will just put out some facts to hopefully help you decide.
The Epcot resorts have so much to do around the lake so it is hard to beat the nightlife you can just walk right to. It is also a nice short walk to the World Showcase entrance which can be a plus. I like the Friendship boats to ride but when it comes to a transportation option they are extremely slow. Besides my complaint about traveling by boat the busses to those resorts can be frustrating especially at the Beach Club because it is the last stop after stopping at the Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin and Yacht Club so you get off last and you try and get on a bus that may be full by the time it gets to your resort. Other than going to Epcot quite a bit of time or a rental car will be needed to get to other parks. With that said the resort is great and offers easy access to the other Epcot area resorts and its food and shopping.

Now out of all the Magic Kingdom resorts I like the theme of the Polynesian the best and its transportation options can’t be beat. It will save you time going to and coming back from parks and the resort offers so many fun things including one of the best kid programs, a dinner show and a pool that is right against a beach looking at the castle. So why do I think it has the best transportation and why is that so important? Well the time you waist getting to things is time you could have been enjoying parks or relaxing. Now you know how people’s perception does not always match facts. Well one misconception about the Polynesian is that it is only convenient to the Magic Kingdom. Well I did some time studies and you can’t argue with facts so I wrote a page about them. Here is a link for the full version but I will write some of the findings down here too.
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/planning-quick/quick-getting-around

You see, Epcot is my favorite park but I actually prefer getting to it from the Polynesian rather than the Epcot Resorts. We often go in the summer where it is either hot or raining like Noah needs to build an arc soon. The walk from the Beach club is quick (timed at 5 minutes at a normal to slow adult pace). Now staying at the Yacht Club or Boardwalk is another 5 minutes or more. At the time I was staying at the Yacht Club so it was 10 minutes to the International Gateway entrance. Now keep in mind that usually you care about getting somewhere fast in the morning and in the morning Epcot is only open in Future World so the total time to get to the middle of the park was 17 minutes. Well leaving our room in the middle of the Polynesian and walking to the TTC to get on the monorail took 5 minutes. The ride is always the same timing (unless there is a hold up) of 8 minutes from TTC to Epcot on the monorail. To walk from the monorail to the same midpoint of the park took 4 minutes so both totals happen to come out to 17 minutes for me. Sounds like the Polynesian can be considered as convenient to Epcot as most of the Epcot resorts. Now throw this in as another factor. If it is hot out and you are pushing strollers would you rather spend 17 minutes pushing in the heat or spend half that time on an air conditioned monorail? Also in many cases we are running from rain storms. Would you rather be inside a monorail or running back to the Board Walk from Space Ship earth in a rain storm?

Well I see the Polynesian as a good location to easily get to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot and the busses to the other parks are not bad either. You also only share with either the Contemporary or Wilderness lodge depending on the time of the year and the Grand Floridian so you are second in line of 3 resorts. There is also an option of a direct boat to the Magic Kingdom.
To me all the resorts have great things about them so transportation is one of the big things that separates them for me and in my opinion no other resorts can beat the Polynesian. That being said I have stayed at most of the Disney resorts at one time or sometimes more than once.

The only other thing I see that is a major difference from the Polynesian and the BC is the room size. You have some of the largest standard rooms on property at the Polynesian.

Aloha

Steve

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Besides my complaint about traveling by boat the busses to those resorts can be frustrating especially at the Beach Club because it is the last stop after stopping at the Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin and Yacht Club so you get off last and you try and get on a bus that may be full by the time it gets to your resort. Other than going to Epcot quite a bit of time or a rental car will be needed to get to other parks.

This is why I won't stay at an Epcot Resort again. Too bad, as I'd love to stay at the Boardwalk, but the bus service to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and DTD was beyond abysmal - It was unacceptable.

Upvote 0

tikiman

This is why I won't stay at an Epcot Resort again. Too bad, as I'd love to stay at the Boardwalk, but the bus service to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and DTD was beyond abysmal - It was unacceptable.

Yeah I kind of felt that way too but I just figured it was the time of year I was there but now I have been there a few different times of the year and it was still bad. Then I just figured I had bad luck.

The boat back from Hollywood Studios took so long that we listened to the begining of Fantazmic when we first lined up and the boat took off, then when the next boat came to pick us up the fireworks were going off from the end of Fantazmic....true story.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

i haven't stayed at beach but have stayed at bwi and i agree with wvdisneyfamily-it's a negative for me related to transportation. i hate the boat (to slow) and hate not having a bus option when it's raining to/from dhs and epcot although loved being on the boardwalk itself. when we were there in early december 2009 our mk bus shared with something like 4 or 5 other deluxe resorts in that circle so our line to leave mk was the worst i've ever experienced. we've stayed moderate a few times and value once and they had their own bus. i didn't like having the convienent store at the entrance of the resort (bwi)...felt less immersive/less disney with "regular" foot traffic right there and less safe walking with just one other female at night back from dhs (walking along/under the underpass that area not the safest feeling). we spend more time at the mk than anywhere else anyway and it feels more like we're staying at the park when we stay at a monorail loop resort (we've done all 3). i stayed club level at the poly in the king kamehameha suite (had a group of 5 adults and 1 child) so i don't know what the standard rooms are like but the poly was great for us. the gf and poly are my 2 fav deluxe resorts.

Upvote 0

sbkline

We've never stayed at either, but plan to stay at the Beach Club next year. However, that is due to my wife's preferences. Since I am the one voting in this poll, I'm going to pick the Polynesian. :ROFLOL:

If it was purely up to me, we would stay at the Poly before the Beach Club, but my wife has already told me her preferences for next year: either the Beach Club or the Boardwalk if money is not an issue, or Port Orleans Riverside if money is an issue. And right now, it is looking more like the Beach Club.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
Split your stay. Stay at the Poly for the days you will be in the Magic Kingdom area and move to the Beach Club for Epcot/DHS.

If we were staying longer we would as we've done that multiple times in the past, but we're only there for 4 nights and want to stay put. My wife's biggest concern about the Poly is that she perceives it to be a dark resort and she really likes the bright atmosphere of the BC.

Upvote 0

wdwfan100

We truly enjoy being at both resorts. To me though, the Polynesian has a more relaxing atmosphere. I just seem to slow down when I am there. I vote for the Poly.

Upvote 0

JCtheparrothead

I have stayed at both and found the Poly to have a bit bigger rooms and great transportation options. I like the ambiance a little better at the Poly too.

On the other hand you can hang out on the Boardwalk at night and it is actually pretty cool once the sun goes down.

You get great views of the fireworks at both and both are close to parks.

My personal choice is the Poly.

Upvote 0

magiconmainstrt

Poly but have to admit.........CSR/BC......

Poly all the way!

Warm atmosphere, Ohana dinner, monorail is great if you want to have the choice of fast and easy transportation between MK, Epcot or Resorts.

One year we stayed at WL just to change it up and found ourselves driving
to Poly daily:mad: and "hanging" out there and taking the monorail.:D

I must admit though this year (Dec) we are splitting our stay 1 day at Coronado Springs (day arriving--never been here--looks fun although looking into room locations right now) then 5 days at Poly and 1 day at BC (the last day of our trip, which I have designated a boat to DHS for Osborne Lights, and MK in the morning (using monorail) then driving to BC for swimming and relaxing until Lights.:xmas:
Returning to BC we will walk the Boardwalk--figure last day and filled with activities--still able to experience a new resort. ;)

Upvote 0

Bonemachine

Do they really kick people out of Stormalong Bay if they're not staying at Beach/Yacht Club? That seems a little extreme. I'm not sure Walt would be down with that policy.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Huge Yacht Club family here! Our favorite of them all!!

We stayed at Poly for the first time last Oct, Lagoon View but lucked out and saw the Castle too. We were in Tahiti.

Our next trip is already booked--YACHT CLUB!!

It was a great experience to try something new and stay at Polynesian, but we prefer the Yacht Club so will be heading back there. Nothing terrible about Poly.

Some thoughts:
-The rooms were humungous, but very very dark feeling. Also pretty worn.
-The monorail would seem convenient, but we kept holding on the beam waiting for clearance from the monorail ahead of us. Missed walking to Epcot.
-The tropical theme is great--but the Poly doesn't carry that grand feeling like you can get at Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk.
-The waterslide was awesome, very fast--pool was way too small and shallow.
-Our view was INCREDIBLE!! Seven Seas, Castle, Space Mtn, Grand Flo, Contemp
-Food from Capn Cooks was great.
-Missed the BoardWalk vibe at night A LOT!

So I do say try Poly, and then head back to Beach Club for the next trip. You'll like it, it's just a totally different experience.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom