1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Beach Club or AKL?

Discussion in 'WDW Resort Hotels' started by LP1, Sep 19, 2017.

1. eliza61nyc

eliza61nyc Member

lol,
    well look at it this way, this is a great decision to have to make.
    Unfortunately you hit on the one big problem at disney, INCONSISTENCY. I really believe that is why Disney tells folks to allot an hour to every trip. pretty much after two years of hit or miss, we now always have a car with us.
    many folks use Uber when they really want to get some where a bit quicker. it's weird I find that in the morning, they are really efficient getting to MK. by the early evening, not so much

nancynancy428 likes this.
  2. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

I'll say it, if you were sold on it, then don't let someone else turn you away from the idea since we are all different in what we like.

I'll be honest, we were just at BC twice this year. We're kind of over the area right now. Ample Hills is nice, but you can walk to it from Epcot. We were considering BWV for next June but we're thinking of ditching the area and going for WL. Our bus service at BC was really bad. I mean people were waiting an hour to get to MK and the boats were kind of hit or miss and very crowded. For every wonderful thing we have about BC we can find negatives - and the fact is you will find this *everywhere* I'm not sure there is a perfect location (with the exception of Polynesian LOL).

I think your idea of going back to BC after DHS is open is a good one. Give AKL a try. Even if you don't love it as much as BC, I doubt you'll be sorry. We are complete Polynesian lovers and AKL is right there with it. Well Kidani is at least. You can have QS at Sanaa in the morning and the pool side QS is good too. You can also order from the bar to go items from Sanaa. So there are options there too. Don't forget you can very easily go to Mara as well if you are at Kidani. You have a ton of food options right there if that is important.

3. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

Grrrrr.......You're making me real nervous for my upcoming trip at AKL in a couple of weeks, but at a rate per night just over $200 (convention rate), I guess I will endure the buses, or just take cabs.

4. NelsonRD

NelsonRD Well-Known Member

Actually, that is exactly my point, you should stay merely because you can see animals. From your balcony, you can observe the animals, and be closer to them than you ever can on the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Waking up to a giraffe, where you can hear it eat, or hear a zebra walk, in the privacy and seclusion of your hotel room is what makes it worth it. I am a little shocked how your are downplaying the impressiveness of what they accomplished with the safari as just "watching giraffes". There is a Jurassic Park feeling there that doesn't get old - to me anyways.

Additionally, there is a lot more than giraffes there to see, and I am still not understanding how staying at Animal Kingdom reduces your park time, you can still make it to rope drop and stay to any park closing.

If the pool is important, maybe Great Wolf lodge is a better vacation destination. The idea that the pool is more of a consideration than the savanna is laughable to me.

nancynancy428 and helenabear like this.
  5. helenabear

It reduced our park time, but not in a bad way at all. We just decided we loved it there so much we'd skip parks later in the day LOL. Seriously though your point is right. It's really no different than any other resort.

Don't be nervous. it is a lovely place to stay. There is Uber and Lyft as well if you are in a rush. Some people honestly love a resort so much that they cannot see the love for another. I'm honestly glad we have DVC because it allows us to stay all over and experience each place. I'm just working on getting my 9yo to be in every resort. AKL is a family favorite and I hope you enjoy your stay!

6. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

To be fair, we love: Beach Club, Yacht Club, BoardWalk, Bay Lake, Wilderness Lodge. The only deluxe I’ve stayed at that I won’t do again is AKL.

Giraffes closer than Kilimanjaro? I’ve had giraffes less than 5 feet from my safari vehicle. They don’t get that close to AKL balconies due to barriers.

Dave Ber likes this.
  7. Bpmorley

Bpmorley New Member

We're not very big fans of AKL either. Maybe the first stay it was pretty cool with the animals, but it's not the same "thrill" anymore.

8. NelsonRD

NelsonRD Well-Known Member

But, does the safari vehicle stop, turn off the engine, and allow you to observe the animal behavior alone with your family, silently, and on your terms? No, its a tour. Last time I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, late at night, I watched a giraffe eat (and heard it chew), and then took 20 minutes to lay down. It was an amazing experience you will never match at a zoo. Is the water slide at the Beach Club that memorable?

9. MansionButler84

I believe I already said that AKL is a great choice if you want to sit in your balcony for hours. If you prefer the parks and pools, it makes less sense. Some people travel differently from yourself. Some come to WDW for theme parks and great pools.

eliza61nyc likes this.
  10. eliza61nyc

eliza61nyc Member

LOL you know pool lovers could flip that and say "if seeing giraffes is so important maybe a zoo would be a better vacation destination.

Here's the thing that is laughable to me, in order to see the animals you have to stay in your room. personally I don't go to Disney to do that and no it's not like Jurassic park. Jurassic park showed people things they had never seen before. I've seen Giraffes, rhinos and ostriches before, I've seen them up closer than I can see them on my balcony.

My kids and I spent waaay more time at the pool than we did watching animals. Basically we woke up and looked out our balcony, "ohh and awed" for maybe 10 minutes, then went and got dressed for our day.

11. eliza61nyc

eliza61nyc Member

Yes

but you did mention a very key word "late at night". my kids are not up "late at night", lol and after hanging out at the parks all day, rarely was I. Now since we generally go during the hotter months, that was one of the disappointing things, most animals are boring during the day in the summer so unless you are watching early morning or late at night, you don't see much and yes at the Philadelphia zoo you can stand there and watch a giraffe eat for quite a while.

Just saying. I love animal kingdom lodge more for the theming than the animals. let me put it this way, would I pay extra for the savannah view?? no

Also as many pointed out, yes the first day or so, the novelty of animals was cool. day 5, 6 &7?? not so much

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  12. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

I think we've decided Beach Club over AKL (I'm outvoted by party members), The only thing i dont like about the beach club is that it reminds me of The Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point, i hope it's not as dirty as that hotel.

13. CLEtoWDW

CLEtoWDW New Member

Yes! Fellow Cedar Pointer here from NE Ohio!

Good choice! I just read how because of the construction on Buena Vista Dr the bus service to AKL will be diverted and trips to parks will take an extra 5-10 minutes.

We absolutely love the BC and you can't go wrong and that amazing resort.

14. MansionButler84

It’s not dirty at all. The rooms were recently redone.
    7D19D6F8-63B3-4557-9929-9485344E3C41.jpeg

eliza61nyc likes this.
  15. helenabear

I think you quoted the wrong person on this. I never mentioned giraffes....

Sorry you didn't like AKL. I am in the to each their own category. Beach Club for us is below Polynesian, OKW and AKL. We don't care for Boardwalk at all it seems and same with Bay Lake (no one wants to stay there again). Probably makes no sense, but I account it for personal taste. I just don't see the point in talking someone out of a location they would like to try simply because it wasn't your favorite. What you love may or may not be what they love.

Why is an opinion 'laughable'? I really don't get this mentality at all. We spend a lot of time in our room so animals are great. Part of why I don't care for Boardwalk or Beach Club as much is because the balconies are not as usable.

It's a great place and definitely NOT at all like Hotel Breakers. Not even close! (another CP fan here living in Ohio).

16. eliza61nyc

eliza61nyc Member

I just said "laughable" because the poster who quoted me said that picking a resort based on the pool was "laughable" and if the pool was the main priority one should go to Great wolf lodge. I was using his language not mine.

The op did ask for opinions on why or why not a particular resort so of course she's going to get reasons why she should pick one over the other.

17. MansionButler84

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine and admitted that AKL is beautiful and a good pick for some people. I specifically included people who spend a lot of time in their rooms and balconies (e.g. you).

The giraffe comment was for someone else in this thread. The first part was in response to you. Never have mastered the multi-quote.

helenabear likes this.
  18. helenabear

Now I'm up to speed. Thanks! My one cat has been very needy at night since her sister died, and I wasn't entirely awake enough to catch that earlier who you were saying what to. I just read the giraffes and thought did I say that? LOL

I think I say this often, Disney has something for everyone and that's what I love about it. While we aren't fans of many of the ones you are, I like that we have choices and different places to try. In the end for us, no Disney stay has ever been bad, just ones we liked more :)

Oh I missed that one before, sorry. I was slow to post my last one and it came in before I posted mine and missed it. I get it, I think neither is laughable as they are opinions. So sorry I missed that one.

I agree asking for opinions will get different answers. I think it was silly that the previous poster used the term laughable for that as well. It's not laughable, it's just a thought. Accept my apologies on quoting you for that!

eliza61nyc likes this.
  19. eliza61nyc

eliza61nyc Member

lol, remember the old children's game called "telephone" where someone at the head of the line would whisper something in a person's ear and they would repeat it to the next person, by the time it got to the end of the line it was totally different? that's what happens to threads, by the time we get to page 4, they have taken a totally different turn. No apologies necessary. :happy:

and totally agree, the wide variety of resorts is one of the things we love about the mouseworld. Polynesian is usually the big vote getter on the internet. I can never understand it, we enjoyed our stay there but it definitely would be the last resort I'd recommend. go figure.

helenabear likes this.
  20. helenabear

For us the surprising one is Grand Floridian. I just can't muster much love for it. My son wants to stay there just to say he did but he keeps asking for other places first lol.

Thank you for the understanding too. I do remember that game and how fun the answers were at the end :D. Kind of like the game, the drifting can be fun!