Beach Club or AKL?

NelsonRD

Nor should it be selected merely because you can see animals which you can already see on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

It's a great resort if you actually plan to spend many hours in your room watching giraffes. If you tend to spend the bulk of your time in the parks or at the pool, it makes sense to be closer to the parks.

To the OP, yes, Yacht and Beach Club combine to MK, but they are right next to each other. It's no different than Jambo and Kidani combining to all parks. Think of it this way--bus service may take up to an hour to MK from Beach Club, but you can walk to Epcot and DHS in under 20 min. Bus service may take up to an hour to EVERYWHERE EXCEPT DAK from AKL. I don't personally spend all that much time at DAK anyway, so that's not much of a perk, and you still have to take a bus there anyway.

Are you looking to spend the bulk of your time in a park or pool or are you looking to spend the bulk of your time sitting in your balcony? If the former, I would argue BC is the better choice; if the latter, AKL is nice.

Actually, that is exactly my point, you should stay merely because you can see animals. From your balcony, you can observe the animals, and be closer to them than you ever can on the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Waking up to a giraffe, where you can hear it eat, or hear a zebra walk, in the privacy and seclusion of your hotel room is what makes it worth it. I am a little shocked how your are downplaying the impressiveness of what they accomplished with the safari as just "watching giraffes". There is a Jurassic Park feeling there that doesn't get old - to me anyways.

Additionally, there is a lot more than giraffes there to see, and I am still not understanding how staying at Animal Kingdom reduces your park time, you can still make it to rope drop and stay to any park closing.

If the pool is important, maybe Great Wolf lodge is a better vacation destination. The idea that the pool is more of a consideration than the savanna is laughable to me.

correcaminos

Additionally, there is a lot more than giraffes there to see, and I am still not understanding how staying at Animal Kingdom reduces your park time, you can still make it to rope drop and stay to any park closing.
It reduced our park time, but not in a bad way at all. We just decided we loved it there so much we'd skip parks later in the day LOL. Seriously though your point is right. It's really no different than any other resort.

Grrrrr.......You're making me real nervous for my upcoming trip at AKL in a couple of weeks, but at a rate per night just over $200 (convention rate), I guess I will endure the buses, or just take cabs.
Don't be nervous. it is a lovely place to stay. There is Uber and Lyft as well if you are in a rush. Some people honestly love a resort so much that they cannot see the love for another. I'm honestly glad we have DVC because it allows us to stay all over and experience each place. I'm just working on getting my 9yo to be in every resort. AKL is a family favorite and I hope you enjoy your stay!

ToTBellHop

It reduced our park time, but not in a bad way at all. We just decided we loved it there so much we'd skip parks later in the day LOL. Seriously though your point is right. It's really no different than any other resort.

Don't be nervous. it is a lovely place to stay. There is Uber and Lyft as well if you are in a rush. Some people honestly love a resort so much that they cannot see the love for another. I'm honestly glad we have DVC because it allows us to stay all over and experience each place. I'm just working on getting my 9yo to be in every resort. AKL is a family favorite and I hope you enjoy your stay!
To be fair, we love: Beach Club, Yacht Club, BoardWalk, Bay Lake, Wilderness Lodge. The only deluxe I’ve stayed at that I won’t do again is AKL.

Giraffes closer than Kilimanjaro? I’ve had giraffes less than 5 feet from my safari vehicle. They don’t get that close to AKL balconies due to barriers.

Bpmorley

To be fair, we love: Beach Club, Yacht Club, BoardWalk, Bay Lake, Wilderness Lodge. The only deluxe I’ve stayed at that I won’t do again is AKL.

Giraffes closer than Kilimanjaro? I’ve had giraffes less than 5 feet from my safari vehicle. They don’t get that close to AKL balconies due to barriers.

We're not very big fans of AKL either. Maybe the first stay it was pretty cool with the animals, but it's not the same "thrill" anymore.

NelsonRD

But, does the safari vehicle stop, turn off the engine, and allow you to observe the animal behavior alone with your family, silently, and on your terms? No, its a tour. Last time I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, late at night, I watched a giraffe eat (and heard it chew), and then took 20 minutes to lay down. It was an amazing experience you will never match at a zoo. Is the water slide at the Beach Club that memorable?

ToTBellHop

But, does the safari vehicle stop, turn off the engine, and allow you to observe the animal behavior alone with your family, silently, and on your terms? No, its a tour. Last time I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, late at night, I watched a giraffe eat (and heard it chew), and then took 20 minutes to lay down. It was an amazing experience you will never match at a zoo. Is the water slide at the Beach Club that memorable?
I believe I already said that AKL is a great choice if you want to sit in your balcony for hours. If you prefer the parks and pools, it makes less sense. Some people travel differently from yourself. Some come to WDW for theme parks and great pools.

eliza61nyc

Actually, that is exactly my point, you should stay merely because you can see animals. From your balcony, you can observe the animals, and be closer to them than you ever can on the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Waking up to a giraffe, where you can hear it eat, or hear a zebra walk, in the privacy and seclusion of your hotel room is what makes it worth it. I am a little shocked how your are downplaying the impressiveness of what they accomplished with the safari as just "watching giraffes". There is a Jurassic Park feeling there that doesn't get old - to me anyways.

If the pool is important, maybe Great Wolf lodge is a better vacation destination. The idea that the pool is more of a consideration than the savanna is laughable to me.

LOL you know pool lovers could flip that and say "if seeing giraffes is so important maybe a zoo would be a better vacation destination.

Here's the thing that is laughable to me, in order to see the animals you have to stay in your room. personally I don't go to Disney to do that and no it's not like Jurassic park. Jurassic park showed people things they had never seen before. I've seen Giraffes, rhinos and ostriches before, I've seen them up closer than I can see them on my balcony.

My kids and I spent waaay more time at the pool than we did watching animals. Basically we woke up and looked out our balcony, "ohh and awed" for maybe 10 minutes, then went and got dressed for our day.

eliza61nyc

Yes

but you did mention a very key word "late at night". my kids are not up "late at night", lol and after hanging out at the parks all day, rarely was I. Now since we generally go during the hotter months, that was one of the disappointing things, most animals are boring during the day in the summer so unless you are watching early morning or late at night, you don't see much and yes at the Philadelphia zoo you can stand there and watch a giraffe eat for quite a while.

Just saying. I love animal kingdom lodge more for the theming than the animals. let me put it this way, would I pay extra for the savannah view?? no

Also as many pointed out, yes the first day or so, the novelty of animals was cool. day 5, 6 &7?? not so much

Last edited:

CLEtoWDW

I think we've decided Beach Club over AKL (I'm outvoted by party members), The only thing i dont like about the beach club is that it reminds me of The Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point, i hope it's not as dirty as that hotel.
Yes! Fellow Cedar Pointer here from NE Ohio!

Good choice! I just read how because of the construction on Buena Vista Dr the bus service to AKL will be diverted and trips to parks will take an extra 5-10 minutes.

We absolutely love the BC and you can't go wrong and that amazing resort.

ToTBellHop

I think we've decided Beach Club over AKL (I'm outvoted by party members), The only thing i dont like about the beach club is that it reminds me of The Hotel Breakers at Cedar Point, i hope it's not as dirty as that hotel.
It’s not dirty at all. The rooms were recently redone.
7D19D6F8-63B3-4557-9929-9485344E3C41.jpeg

correcaminos

I think you quoted the wrong person on this. I never mentioned giraffes....

Sorry you didn't like AKL. I am in the to each their own category. Beach Club for us is below Polynesian, OKW and AKL. We don't care for Boardwalk at all it seems and same with Bay Lake (no one wants to stay there again). Probably makes no sense, but I account it for personal taste. I just don't see the point in talking someone out of a location they would like to try simply because it wasn't your favorite. What you love may or may not be what they love.

Here's the thing that is laughable to me, in order to see the animals you have to stay in your room. personally I don't go to Disney to do that and no it's not like Jurassic park. Jurassic park showed people things they had never seen before. I've seen Giraffes, rhinos and ostriches before, I've seen them up closer than I can see them on my balcony.
Why is an opinion 'laughable'? I really don't get this mentality at all. We spend a lot of time in our room so animals are great. Part of why I don't care for Boardwalk or Beach Club as much is because the balconies are not as usable.

It's a great place and definitely NOT at all like Hotel Breakers. Not even close! (another CP fan here living in Ohio).

eliza61nyc

Sorry you didn't like AKL. I am in the to each their own category. Beach Club for us is below Polynesian, OKW and AKL. We don't care for Boardwalk at all it seems and same with Bay Lake (no one wants to stay there again). Probably makes no sense, but I account it for personal taste. I just don't see the point in talking someone out of a location they would like to try simply because it wasn't your favorite. What you love may or may not be what they love.

Why is an opinion 'laughable'? I really don't get this mentality at all. We spend a lot of time in our room so animals are great. Part of why I don't care for Boardwalk or Beach Club as much is because the balconies are not as usable.

It's a great place and definitely NOT at all like Hotel Breakers. Not even close! (another CP fan here living in Ohio).
I just said "laughable" because the poster who quoted me said that picking a resort based on the pool was "laughable" and if the pool was the main priority one should go to Great wolf lodge. I was using his language not mine.

The op did ask for opinions on why or why not a particular resort so of course she's going to get reasons why she should pick one over the other.

ToTBellHop

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine and admitted that AKL is beautiful and a good pick for some people. I specifically included people who spend a lot of time in their rooms and balconies (e.g. you).

The giraffe comment was for someone else in this thread. The first part was in response to you. Never have mastered the multi-quote.

correcaminos

The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine and admitted that AKL is beautiful and a good pick for some people. I specifically included people who spend a lot of time in their rooms and balconies (e.g. you).

The giraffe comment was for someone else in this thread. The first part was in response to you. Never have mastered the multi-quote.
Now I'm up to speed. Thanks! My one cat has been very needy at night since her sister died, and I wasn't entirely awake enough to catch that earlier who you were saying what to. I just read the giraffes and thought did I say that? LOL

I think I say this often, Disney has something for everyone and that's what I love about it. While we aren't fans of many of the ones you are, I like that we have choices and different places to try. In the end for us, no Disney stay has ever been bad, just ones we liked more :)

I just said "laughable" because the poster who quoted me said that picking a resort based on the pool was "laughable" and if the pool was the main priority one should go to Great wolf lodge. I was using his language not mine.

The op did ask for opinions on why or why not a particular resort so of course she's going to get reasons why she should pick one over the other.
Oh I missed that one before, sorry. I was slow to post my last one and it came in before I posted mine and missed it. I get it, I think neither is laughable as they are opinions. So sorry I missed that one.

I agree asking for opinions will get different answers. I think it was silly that the previous poster used the term laughable for that as well. It's not laughable, it's just a thought. Accept my apologies on quoting you for that!

eliza61nyc

Now I'm up to speed. Thanks! My one cat has been very needy at night since her sister died, and I wasn't entirely awake enough to catch that earlier who you were saying what to. I just read the giraffes and thought did I say that? LOL

I think I say this often, Disney has something for everyone and that's what I love about it. While we aren't fans of many of the ones you are, I like that we have choices and different places to try. In the end for us, no Disney stay has ever been bad, just ones we liked more :)

Oh I missed that one before, sorry. I was slow to post my last one and it came in before I posted mine and missed it. I get it, I think neither is laughable as they are opinions. So sorry I missed that one.

I agree asking for opinions will get different answers. I think it was silly that the previous poster used the term laughable for that as well. It's not laughable, it's just a thought. Accept my apologies on quoting you for that!

lol, remember the old children's game called "telephone" where someone at the head of the line would whisper something in a person's ear and they would repeat it to the next person, by the time it got to the end of the line it was totally different? that's what happens to threads, by the time we get to page 4, they have taken a totally different turn. No apologies necessary. :happy:

and totally agree, the wide variety of resorts is one of the things we love about the mouseworld. Polynesian is usually the big vote getter on the internet. I can never understand it, we enjoyed our stay there but it definitely would be the last resort I'd recommend. go figure.

correcaminos

lol, remember the old children's game called "telephone" where someone at the head of the line would whisper something in a person's ear and they would repeat it to the next person, by the time it got to the end of the line it was totally different? that's what happens to threads, by the time we get to page 4, they have taken a totally different turn. No apologies necessary. :happy:

and totally agree, the wide variety of resorts is one of the things we love about the mouseworld. Polynesian is usually the big vote getter on the internet. I can never understand it, we enjoyed our stay there but it definitely would be the last resort I'd recommend. go figure.
For us the surprising one is Grand Floridian. I just can't muster much love for it. My son wants to stay there just to say he did but he keeps asking for other places first lol.

Thank you for the understanding too. I do remember that game and how fun the answers were at the end :D. Kind of like the game, the drifting can be fun!

Incomudro

To the OP, my family have stayed at both hotels and love them both for different reasons.
AK wins for the hotel itself.
The hotel is newer, more extravagantly themed and detailed, going out on your balcony and seeing the animals is wonderful.
We even slept with the blinds open, looking out at the giraffes as they lied down for the night.

Beach Club wins for location.
The ability to walk to and from Epcot (or even Hollywood Studios) cannot be overstated.
You can wrap up your night in Epcot and stroll (or take the boat back) back to your room.
Or take the boat back from Hollywood Studios.
Then, you can hang around the grounds of Beach Club, go over to the Boardwalk...
Crescent Lake is lovely at night.

OP, in your case given you will be with a small child and grandparents - I would choose Beach Club.

Rlandrigan

Beach Club has better transportation options - walking always wins:) and by far the best pool in Disney - but AKL is the best resort by far. Sitting on your balcony at night, watching the animals, the amazing lobby - it's amazing. Either is great, but if you are not going to be in Epcot a lot, AKL is the winner.

twili_zora

I find it kind of funny that you're choosing between the same two resorts I stayed at during my April 2017 trip. (5 nights at BC, 2 at AKL). It really comes down to what you are planning to do during your vacation time. If you're spending more time at HS/EPCOT, then Beach Club is probably your best bet. Midnight movie showings on the grass, watching the lights from across the boardwalk at night, swimming at the best pool area on the entire WDW property. I loved my time there. However, if you're spending more time at AK, AKL is where you most likely wanna stay, because the park's experience is carried out through that hotel. We had a room on the second floor at the farthest end of the Jambo House (took us like 4 minutes to walk from our room to the lobby), and every day and night, we'd look out our window and be greeted with several wildlife species just a few feet from our balcony. Sanaa was good, from what I can remember. So like I said, it really comes down to what your overall park plans are. Hope this helped!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom