Be honest, how weird is it for a male to go on Solo trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneofThree

I am hoping that is true, but, to be honest that is not the way it came across to me at the time. You are as entitled to not go solo as the rest of us are to go solo. There should be no, I rather be doing something useful and rewarding like historical things then to just go and look at 5 foot tall mice. It might have been me, but, it wasn't all that clear to me. However, lets bury the hatchet and move on. This is something that really isn't worth arguing over.

Argue? Again -not sure what you're looking at but I actually enjoyed, appreciated, and "liked" your first post here, and wished the OP well and tried to help with a suggestion. At the same time, if someone asks for my thoughts or opinions, that's exactly what they're going get. While it's perfectly reasonably to expect a certain degree of respect, it's not reasonable to demand my opinion mirrors, or resembles anyone else's. I've got no "hatchet" to bury, but am glad we understand each other (I think).

Dutch Inn '76

Maybe he finds WDW relaxing and hates hiking. Maybe he doesn't like to hike solo! Not sure why it bothers you that he wants to go solo.

It doesn't "bother" me. HE asked if it was weird for him to go to WDW alone (because privately he knows that it is) and I confirmed that it is indeed weird.

rsm

Not gunna lie, it does sound weird. But not for any good reason. I say absolutely go for it. I would do the same.

danyoung56

I’ve even done family style dining in Germany, sharing a table with two other families, both of whom where keen to talk.

I was with you right up to this. I had only one lunch in the Biergarten, and it was a disaster. I was seated at a table with another family, who spent the whole meal staring at me like I was an ax murderer about to go on a rampage. Very uncomfortable.

You asked: I think it's weird; very weird. I have no comprehension of why anyone would want to go to WDW alone. That place just screams FAMILY & FRIENDS to me.

Spoken like someone who has never done the solo thing. I've done it for years, and it works great for me. Sure, I'd love to do it as a family. But since I don't have one, I take myself and have a terrific time.

With sexual assault claims being thrown around as often as people take out trash, I do tend to think about this topic when im in places full of young girls...

Yeah, this is definitely something to be aware of, but not something to guide your choices. A couple years ago I was waiting for a plane in the Orlando airport, seated next to a small family from Australia. The 2 young daughters (probably age 4 & 5) thought I was just the funniest thing, and I had a blast with them. But I'm sure mama, while enjoying not having to entertain for a few minutes, still kept a very close eye on this big bearded guy who was interacting with her daughters.

rodserling27

Not weird at all. Most of my trips are solo trips these days, and I’m a 31 year old male. No wife or kids, not yet anyway. It is liberating and unique and I do it often while I still can. You get to do everything only you want to do, you have better luck getting single FastPasses, you get in dining reservations more easily, and you can do it as fast or slow as you desire. Want to park hop 100 times? Do it! Want to drink a beer by the pool? Do it! Want to sleep in late? DO IT! Want to go visit each of the resorts? No one is stopping you. And sitting alone at a table isn’t as weird as you think, because everyone else is so focused on being miserable, errrr having a good time that they don’t notice. Also you will never see them again, so who cares!?

The only downside is you have no one to relive the memories with. But the pros far outweigh the cons in my opinion. Do it - you won’t regret it and you’ll have a blast!!

danyoung56

.....you get in dining reservations more easily.....

The one thing to keep in mind is that Disney dining rez software is somewhat prejudiced against the single diner. Some times you need to book for 2 people, and then just tell the folks at the restaurant that only one will be dining tonight. For all they know the wife is back at the hotel with a headache, so they never question this. I try to book as a single, and there have been times where this doesn't work, but the system will accept a rez for 2 people.

SalD

Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old man that loves Disney and I need a nice relaxing vacation. No worries, no kids, no work, just relaxation. I want to do a WDW solo trip for 7 days. Walking around the parks and going on rides solo doesn't actually bother me, but I'm a pretty introvert person and the dining part concerns me some. Sitting down at a table alone eating. It's a little awkward and strange is all.

I mean be honest, how weird is it?
I went one year with my son who was there on a business trip. I was alone a couple of days, one of which I went to Animal Kingdom. I felt a little weird at first but it turned out to be one of the best days I've ever had at WDW. I did exactly what I wanted to do, eat when and where I wanted to, etc. Many of the cast members at Animal Kingdom struck up great conversations with me, especially at the animal exhibits. It was just a wonderful day and would do it again if I ever had the chance.

GailY

Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old man that loves Disney and I need a nice relaxing vacation. No worries, no kids, no work, just relaxation. I want to do a WDW solo trip for 7 days. Walking around the parks and going on rides solo doesn't actually bother me, but I'm a pretty introvert person and the dining part concerns me some. Sitting down at a table alone eating. It's a little awkward and strange is all.

Be confident and comfortable with yourself and that will project to others. Try to be social but not 'weird'. Offer to take peoples pictures when you notice a group/family trying to do a selfie (and not succeeding) or you realize that group will be a pic - 1 instead of a true group shot. People are always afraid to ask for help so offer, I've always had people very happy that someone offers to help. Sit on a bench and offer others to sit on it when they are looking around for "someplace to sit" but don't feel they can sit with you. Strike up a conversation. I've met some lovely people. If you love Disney you'll have lots of info to share. Going solo (minus kids) is so refreshing. Your pace, your needs. Stop and see the "epcot" acts you'd never stop to see. Listen to Voices of Liberty multiple times, you'd be surprised how many people stick around inside the air conditioning, charge their phone, and sit back down on the floor for showtime. You don't know how many people I've talked to waiting for fireworks and saving a space for hours/solo as I wait for my family to join. It's Disney, expect the best of others, and you'll find it.

GailY

The one thing to keep in mind is that Disney dining rez software is somewhat prejudiced against the single diner. Some times you need to book for 2 people, and then just tell the folks at the restaurant that only one will be dining tonight. For all they know the wife is back at the hotel with a headache, so they never question this. I try to book as a single, and there have been times where this doesn't work, but the system will accept a rez for 2 people.
-Res for 2- good point. And when you get there you could ask any people 'milling around' if there is a single looking for a reservation. Put yourself out there.

JessicaB

Not weird at all. I'm 38 and if I could go without my son finding out I went without him I totally would. Though I'm also the type of person who enjoys going to the movies by herself.

Looking back on some of my solo trips I can say there is a point where solo becomes a bit "different". I've solo'd from about 5 days to as long as 14. The 5 to 7 day mark is what works best for me when solo. Any longer and I find myself wishing I had people with me. I do get the opportunity to talk with other guests and cast members when solo and have actually created some friendships over time in doing so. I still say go for it!

clarabellej

Hi all,

I actually have always enjoyed dining alone. Bring a good book. I just feel like it might feel a little lonely in the parks. I am by myself for a portion of our trips. I travel with my now teen aged daughter and if a friend of hers joins, I often sit out some of the rides they do. Nowadays I feel like everyone is on their iPhones in their down time & no one pays much attention. At least you can do the single rider line & get on the rides more quickly. I love Disney so much, I would do it! Enjoy!!

mousland

Hi all,

Hi all,

Not weird at all. I went by myself several years ago and had one of the best times of my life. At first it was a bit unsure of schedule, but within a day or 2 I eased into a schedule; wake up, have a quick breakfast then head to whichever park I wanted to visit that day. I found that having a purpose for the day helped. For me it was doing a photo exploration of the park. Slowing down and focusing less on rides/attractions and more on how the place was built, maintained. I spent time watching people and found it fun to see the folks that were happy, exhausted and those that shouldn't be there at all. I had lots of great unexpected moments like when I went to the China pavilion to get something from the quick service then took it to the front of the theater and found a seat outside to sit and eat. Just then a huge rain shower hit and I sat sheltered and just watched the rain and the folks scramble about. I was in WDW for 10 days, alone and it was really magical.

dovetail65

I really read and don't post, but I had to comment here.

Only most people that haven't been to Disney would think it's weird. I still talk to friends and family that laugh and say why would you go to Disney, that's for little kids. They don't have a clue.

My wife and I are lucky enough to be able to go anywhere if we wanted to, last year we went to Disney in 4 separate trips . I had a cruise set up in a suite in the newest largest cruise ship ever built to be dropped in the water next month. We looked at the cost and what it entailed long and hard and we decided to cancel and just go back to Disney.

I would go alone and have done days alone already and I am a 52 year old male, talking to people in line no one even questioned it. Heck, I would go alone right now and be glad to talk to you in line!

For me, once I cross that border in to Disney I am just so happy whether alone or with my wife or all the kids(we have 7). Although the best trip I ever had was the very last one with just me and the wife I would not hesitate to go to Disney for a couple weeks by myself. Go, be happy and have fun! And people are only strangers at a table in Disney for about 5 minutes, after that we are instant friends. In 20 trips over the years I only ever met cranky people a time or two at dinner show tables and I could tell right off it was the result of them not planning their trip, huge mistake!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom