Bad timing this year?

Doug1985

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member here, but not new to the site. I've been coming here for awhile for anything WDW and always satisfied with information that I find here. Let me start off by saying I'm 27 years old and my first trip to Disney was unfortunately 2011. It took a lot of convincing, but I was finally talked into going. I went once and was hooked, we went back again last year and this year is no different... kinda. (bear with me, this is a long post)

This year me and my girlfriend are in a bit of a pickle for our (possible) trip to WDW. The situation we are in is this: My girlfriend is a teacher, so realistically the only time we can go is during spring break (both times we went was during spring break-last week of march) or summer. We COULD go in late may or summer, but I'd really rather stay away from Florida in the summer because of the heat.

Anyway, My concern about going in March this year... besides the ridiculous flight prices, is obviously the crowds. This year spring break also happens to be the same week as Easter. Our trip dates would be 3/24- 3/31, we would be leaving on Easter Sunday. I'm a bit worried about it being overcrowded or not even being able to get into the parks because of them closing for capacity.

As an alternative, we are considering going late may, either the last week of may or the week before. This would be excellent because we would be saving $700 on flight hotel and car... huge difference. My problem with this is, 1-is it too hot by then to enjoy the parks and being outside for 12+ hours? 2-Is the weather really an issue (as far as rain) as much as I keep reading about? 3-This is kinda personal preference, but I really love Epcot spring and garden festival, will I really being missing out on the beautiful landscape by going in may, or is it just as beautiful?

Sorry I bombarded you guys with questions, we are just really undecided about what to do or when to go this year. People keep telling us to go somewhere else besides WDW for once, but its hard to turn your head on a guaranteed great vacation. Anyway, sorry for rambling and the long post... hoping for some clarity- Doug

Mrsdonaldduck

We have gone the beginning of may or the end of
August for the past 5 years both time of year are great. I don't think it is crowded either time. May was hot but not as humid as August. And the times we went in may we did not have rain ( of course very different from the daily summer storms). Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I'm glad there are plenty of folks who can handle and even enjoy the more crowded times at WDW. We are not among them. Our first 3 trips were Nov and late Oct, and I honestly don't think we'd be the fans we are today had our first trip been during the summer months. Now that the kids are getting older we have to keep them in school it seems...Last year we tried late August and while the crowds were light, the heat and humidity were awful. This year we're going to brave the first week in June, which will likely be the most crowded of our trips so far. I think the crowds get easier to handle the more times you go.

Personally, I would go with May over spring break. Crowds just aren't my thing, but everyones different! With enough planning you can always have fun at WDW!

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

I'm a teacher so i'm very limited to when I can travel, too. We go in the summer because I am off and my children are off from school, too. Crowds? Yes. Heat? Yes. But you make it work. You can't limit your vacations because your GF is a teacher. There are teachers in every state in the same boat. My friends went last week and said it was just as busy as if they were to go in the summer. When we go in the summer, there are lots of crowds but it is ok. If we were to go to any other amusement park the outlook would remain the same. Soooo, I guess what I am saying is to just go when you can and not worry about things that are beyond your control.

Upvote 0

diznyboyz

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member here, but not new to the site. I've been coming here for awhile for anything WDW and always satisfied with information that I find here. Let me start off by saying I'm 27 years old and my first trip to Disney was unfortunately 2011. It took a lot of convincing, but I was finally talked into going. I went once and was hooked, we went back again last year and this year is no different... kinda. (bear with me, this is a long post)

This year me and my girlfriend are in a bit of a pickle for our (possible) trip to WDW. The situation we are in is this: My girlfriend is a teacher, so realistically the only time we can go is during spring break (both times we went was during spring break-last week of march) or summer. We COULD go in late may or summer, but I'd really rather stay away from Florida in the summer because of the heat.

Anyway, My concern about going in March this year... besides the ridiculous flight prices, is obviously the crowds. This year spring break also happens to be the same week as Easter. Our trip dates would be 3/24- 3/31, we would be leaving on Easter Sunday. I'm a bit worried about it being overcrowded or not even being able to get into the parks because of them closing for capacity.

As an alternative, we are considering going late may, either the last week of may or the week before. This would be excellent because we would be saving $700 on flight hotel and car... huge difference. My problem with this is, 1-is it too hot by then to enjoy the parks and being outside for 12+ hours? 2-Is the weather really an issue (as far as rain) as much as I keep reading about? 3-This is kinda personal preference, but I really love Epcot spring and garden festival, will I really being missing out on the beautiful landscape by going in may, or is it just as beautiful?

Sorry I bombarded you guys with questions, we are just really undecided about what to do or when to go this year. People keep telling us to go somewhere else besides WDW for once, but its hard to turn your head on a guaranteed great vacation. Anyway, sorry for rambling and the long post... hoping for some clarity- Doug

My family has gone to Disney the last week of May into first week of June for the past four years. I have to tell you that we are from Louisiana and do not feel that the weather at Disney that week is too humid, warm or wet (LOL). The rain came as a storm maybe once or twice each day if at all. We just bring ponchos and keep going because after all...we are at disney world! We are at the parks from rope drop in morning til fireworks at night. In addition, last year I was able to still take pictures of beautiful landscape and figures left from the Flower and Garden at Epcot. The Flower and Garden at Epcot ends just the week before we get there so everything is still there. Whatever you may decide, go and have a ball.....After all, you will be at Disney World!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hello everyone,

Hi there,

I have been in April, great temp and Flower and Garden is amazing. That being said, this year with the times over lapping of spring break and Easter, I would avoid it.

We went first week of June. It was one of the nicest times we have been! It was hot but not humid. We hardly got any rain. And we didn't have large crowds either. So I would recommend you travel late May. That is a much better time for you to go! It was one of our most favorite times we have been there!!!

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Doug1985,
First things first: Welcome!

My DH and I have been to WDW in May, and the weather was very nice, not too hot at all. Actually, we have been in early June--arriving on June 7 for 9 days, and found that the heat was not bad at all on that occasion either. We also literally walked on to many of the attractions (we suppose many families had not started their summer vacations then.)

If I had to choose between Easter break (peak season at WDW!) and May, there would be no question that I would choose May.

Upvote 0

Doug1985

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for you timely responses. They were all very helpful. It seems as though everyone has their own favorite time to go, but for the most part, you convinced us to go in may. We thought about it, and even though it will be a bit hotter, as it was said, the humidity will not have set in yet. Plus, my favorite park during the day is Epcot, going around world showcase means a lot of indoor time, so its all good. Also the crowds were a concern. We have gone the past 2 years during spring break, and while it was crowded, its the only way I've ever seen Disney since I have never been there before so seeing it a little less crowded will be nice. Either way it will work out good I think. We are saving just about $600 on the hotel, flight and car rental. We are going to book the hotel and car this weekend and we will be going to Atlantic City International airport either this weekend or the next to buy our plane tickets. So excited now!

Upvote 0

SAV

If the kids weren't in school, I would choose May for every trip. We went there with the DD when she was a tot(before Kindergarten) and it was wonderful. Weather was great and crowds were low.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom