Bad mom? Want to go to Disney without DD

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
My DD had the best time at the World when we were there in September. But...DH and I have been thinking of a holiday just for ourselves, and...we want to go to Disney. There's so much to do just as grown ups but I feel guilty for even thinking about it. It would be just a long weekend, mainly EPCOT and Boardwalk...anyone else leave the kids at home every once in a while?

minnie2000

We never have, although we would like to. Youngest DD is turning 6 in a few weeks, and although she is not very clingy normally, she likes to be with us at night. She has only just started staying overnight at her grand parents, so we will encourage this, and hopefully soon be able to have the occasional weekend away.

If your kids are happy staying with grandparents or family, then two days away will not do them any harm! Just don't let on you went to Disney - that probably won't go down very well...

Uponastar

Go for it, Amy!
Don't feel guilty! You've given your daughter the pleasure of a trip to WDW and you will again in the future. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you and your hubby having some together time on your own. And what better place than WDW?

optjay

At last an adult topic I can totally talk about !
Six years ago when my son was born we took him down. Soon after we figured an adult only trip would be a great idea!! I now have a four year old daughter, who along withmy son have gone to disney most years of their lives so missing a trip now and then is not a problem.Adult only trips are a total blast, and knowing the next trip with the kids will come soon enough, you will enjoy it!!

LaughingGravy

I was lucky to be in Daytona for a business trip, 1 hour away, last month.
I scheduled an extra day for me. Just me. Family needed to stay home due to school, short notice of the trip, and also the cost of bringing everyone else.

My brother and his family happened to be there for their annual DVC trip.
I ended up spending about 1/2 the time with them.

Before meeting them, I was by myself for a few hours.
I really missed having my wife and kids there.

Then my brother and his wife and kids met me.
Once they were there, it was much easier doing things with or without them, just knowing I had family in the park.
You'll be fine.

The kids DO NOT know I spent a day at the MK.
I couldn't be down there, see all the stuff they'd like, and not get anything.

They know I went to Florida, and also know that Downtown Disney is a shopping area they visited, outside of the parks.
They also know I drove 'an hour away' from my hotel to go shopping for them.

So, the Walt Disney World stuff I brought home was well received, Space Mountain 3-D cups and Splash Mountain towels, stuff you can't get outside WDW other than Ebay.

Just be careful to not take any pictures of anything you didn't do with DD or see.
Years later..."and here's a picture of Mommy and Daddy at Blizzard Beach."

"Hey!!!!!!!"

Oh, one more thing...don't tell about the trip until DD is at least college age.
Better, wait to tell until she has kids of her own and can really understand, then pull out the pic of Blizzard Beach from when you were younger and let her figure it out.

PineapplePrincess

My DH & I went for a long weekend w/out our DD. We told her we were going to Vegas! It was Valentine's weekend, and we had a lot of fun. It was really a relief not to have to drag a camera around. I highly recommend it!

Dwarful

We have talked about doing just that very thing...my problem is the guilt I'd feel. I know we deserve time alone together..but Disney is a big trip for us. Perhaps if we lived closer then I could do it more easily...Chicago for a weekend, yes, Lake of the Ozarks for the weekend, yes, Disney for a weekend...I don't know. I think personally I'd want more time and I couldn't do a week at wdw w/o the kids. lol Although the one time my husband and I did try to get away for a weekend our youngest got sick and we had to head home that first night...go figure! lol. I say GO FOR IT! then let me know how great it was...so I can convince myself! ;)

lwalker8

I was once one of the kids left behind. I was actually 18 at the time, but i have brothers who are 15, 10, and 7, and none were too bothered by the parents going to Disney for some time alone. Just make sure the kids do tons of fun things at home while you're gone...movies, mini-golf, bowling, whatever they like to do for fun.

mandylo

We try to alternate. (one trip with kids, next trip without) If you have never been as a couple, I highly recommend doing so! While it's fun to go with the kids, going alone gives you the chance to BE a kid.

disneytati

Go for it!!!! Don't feel guilty... you need some time for yourself, so that you can be a non-stressed and better parent for your kid.

figmentmom

Absolutely - go, and have a guilt-free time! Disney has LOTS to offer adults, and some of it just can't really be appreciated with a little one in tow. You deserve it - now, go and have fun!:wave:

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
Go for it, Amy!
Don't feel guilty! You've given your daughter the pleasure of a trip to WDW and you will again in the future. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you and your hubby having some together time on your own. And what better place than WDW?

I know this is a bit of a bump, but I haven't been on in a while. Thank you Dot! I will take your words to heart...we really do want to go on our own, which is kind of funny since I talked Disney up big before the family trip and DH kept talking about the Bahamas...now he's the one who's really pushing for Disney as our solo vacation trip.

DisneyTati...I agree...when you're less stressed, you tend to be a better parent.

Thanks to all of you for your replys and good advice...I love this board.

disneytati

DisneyTati...I agree...when you're less stressed, you tend to be a better parent.

Thanks to all of you for your replys and good advice...I love this board.

That's exactly what I tell myself every year, when I go up there all by myself and leave my daughter here. But I just need to go up there, to refresh, you know. I hope she understands when she grows up. And yeah, I love this board too. There's always a comforting word.

Aurora_25

I say go for it. My DH and I have gone to Disney before just the two of us and had a great time- we have also taken our kids alot so they don't feel like they miss out. In fact, we are going in January and only taking our son and leaving our DD with my parents- we were going to leave our son too, but my daughter kept begging me to take him (he's 2) so that she could be with my mom and dad all by herself- she didn't want him getting in the way of all her fun (she's 7....:eek: )

Just go and have a great time!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom