Bad advice boils my blood!

DisJosh

edwardtc said:
I've never purchased one myself, so I don't know what the posted rules are when you get a mug - but if they say something like, "Good for this vacation only." then you're stealing when you bring it back the next time - whether you believe you deserve it for paying a lot to stay in their resorts or not. You don't buy a medium drink at McDonald's, leave, then come back the next day and expect a free refill (well, maybe YOU do, but I don't).

I'm not 100% sure of what's kosher or not with the mugs. From what I can remember it is specified that you can not use them in the parks or at other resorts. I'm not sure what is said about returning for another trip and re-using your cup.

I see it this way...

If I went on a trip to WDW in January 2005 and still have my Pop Century cups sitting in a drawer when my September 2005 trip rolls around, you can bet I'm going to bring them and use them...at Pop Century. I would not show up with a cup from my stay at Caribbean beach in 1994. I've seen people do things like this. To some my way is stealing, to others, it's saving money.

If asked to stop by a CM I would. But again I'm not even sure where the resorts stand as far as rules on the mug re-usage. They don't seem to enforce anything of the sort.

Woody13

DisJosh said:
But again I'm not even sure where the resorts stand as far as rules on the mug re-usage. They don't seem to enforce anything of the sort.
My understanding of the WDW Resorts mug refill policy is that once you buy a mug at a resort you may refill it forever at that resort. However, I also heard that on subsequent trips, you are only allowed to refill your mug with Beverly.

markc

TAC said:
Maybe it was a CM that didn't fully speak English and didn't fully understand the question ? .

The CM shouldn't BE a CM if they don't full speak English or understand questions made in English. That's poor customer service and a worthless CM if they are working in the capacity of a job that requires a high level of customer service.

DisJosh

Woody13 said:
My understanding of the WDW Resorts mug refill policy is that once you buy a mug at a resort you may refill it forever at that resort. However, I also heard that on subsequent trips, you are only allowed to refill your mug with Beverly.

:lol: There's always a catch! ;)

JPVonDrake

DisJosh said:
I'm not 100% sure of what's kosher or not with the mugs. From what I can remember it is specified that you can not use them in the parks or at other resorts. I'm not sure what is said about returning for another trip and re-using your cup.

Signage at the Mug display at each Resort states " refillable for the length of your stay"

DisJosh said:
To some my way is stealing, to others, it's saving money.

True, you can save a lot of money by stealing.

DisJosh said:
If asked to stop by a CM I would.

As a cast member, may I politely ask you to "Please stop returning with a mug purchased on a previous stay, and simply purchase a new mug each visit? Unlimited soda during your current stay for only $11.99 is still a great deal."

Sorry, but when a program based on the "honor system" is being abused, the most practical way to prevent future abuse is to eliminate the program entirely.

lentesta

Premium Member
I think Mike's being misquoted a little bit. Here's his exact line:
On dining – Despite the sizable crowds at the parks, there are apparently no difficulties with walk-ins lately at table service restaurants. Everybody must be too busy standing in line for attractions.

It seems to be a comment on current conditions, not advice on whether to make ADRs for future trips.

As for which restaurants Mike's been to, he's still in WDW, and I spoke to him last night. If I remember our conversation correctly, he mentioned being able to dine at Le Cellier, Yachtsman Steakhouse, and 50's Prime Time during lunch and dinner, without ADRs. (I think he's been to Le Cel more than once this trip.) Next time we talk, I'll see if I can get more details.

Len

lebeau

As far as the advice in Mouseplanet, I took it to be advice to those already "in-the-know" about how dining at WDW works. Which is probably a pretty safe assumption being that the column appeared on a disney-fan website. Also, remember that Mike didn't write the column himself. His advice was being passed along through a 3rd party. Something may have been lost in the translation. I just took it to mean that as busy as the crowds were right now, the restarants are less busy (again - right now) and PS isn't essential for a lot of them.

As far as CMs giving bad info, well, people just expect every CM to know everything about WDW which is obviously impossible. If I asked a guy in a restaurant for info about fireworks (particularily someone in Jiko where there's a good chance their English is not that good) I would not expect any kind of accurate answer. I might still ask, but if the answer didn't sound right I'd take it with a huge grain of salt.

wannab@dis

JPVonDrake said:
Signage at the Mug display at each Resort states " refillable for the length of your stay"

True, you can save a lot of money by stealing.

As a cast member, may I politely ask you to "Please stop returning with a mug purchased on a previous stay, and simply purchase a new mug each visit? Unlimited soda during your current stay for only $11.99 is still a great deal."

Sorry, but when a program based on the "honor system" is being abused, the most practical way to prevent future abuse is to eliminate the program entirely.

Ahh... everything you say is true NOW. The mugs are printed with "good for this stay only" or something to that affect. When the mugs were added several years back, there was no rule and it was encouraged by the CMs to bring your mugs back at the same resort and reuse them. We even checked and they told us that we could use an All Star Movies mug at All Star Music.

Will I reuse mugs that have the rule printed on them? Nope, I won't. Will I take my older mugs without the rule? Sure will since they were sold as usable for future visits to the SAME resort.

wannab@dis

cynicall said:
It is not mouseplanet's fault at all. You chose to follow his advise.

Actually, it is. They should be held responsible for their bad advice. If the advice is good under certain conditions, then list those conditions so people are not caught off guard.

Shrike

wannab@dis said:
Actually, it is. They should be held responsible for their bad advice. If the advice is good under certain conditions, then list those conditions so people are not caught off guard.

Charles Manson said the same thing about the Beatles' White Album.:lookaroun

Originally posted by JPVonDrake
Unlimited soda during your current stay for only $11.99 is still a great deal.
Exactly. This is why we don't mind getting new mugs each trip. Between coffe and soda, we figure the mugs pay for themselves by the 2nd day. We have them from our trip in '94 to our last trip in 04.

cynicall

wannab@dis said:
No. It is not. People can say anything on their own personal web sites. Whether it's advice or not.

disneylands

Account Suspended
Cecil said:
Yes i hate when people tell me stuff and its wronge and all this stuff goes wronge and waste time!

I agree with you. However if people really want good advice, I would advise to consult with professionals like: Bernbaums books, or Passporter: Walt Disney world Resort. I usually buy both books and compare the two. Those will give you proven facts and advice for any weather conditions ect.

that way you usually wont get "hurt"!

Main Street USA

HntdMansionFan said:
Exactly. This is why we don't mind getting new mugs each trip. Between coffe and soda, we figure the mugs pay for themselves by the 2nd day. We have them from our trip in '94 to our last trip in 04.
Hell, I buy the mugs everytime for a souvenir, if nothing else!

lentesta

Premium Member
Charles Manson said the same thing about the Beatles' White Album.

Reminds me of Dennis Miller's bit when the CD came out, where he pretended to be Charles Manson. Something like "The clarity of these recordings is amazing. I guess they wern't really talking to me after all." Too funny.

Len

lebeau

lentesta said:
Reminds me of Dennis Miller's bit when the CD came out, where he pretended to be Charles Manson. Something like "The clarity of these recordings is amazing. I guess they wern't really talking to me after all." Too funny.

Len

That's the best laugh I've had all day. Thanks - I needed that :)

DanStat

Why does this come up every six months? Ethics are not a socially agreed upon set of laws. Ethics are self-defined guides for personal action.

If you want to use your mug at the same resort year after year, do it. If they say something, stop. If you buy a new mug each year, great. Your doing what you feel is right. If there is a sign saying that you shouldn't use your mug, don't do it.

Bad advice is just that. Advice. Use it with discretion, and take it with a grain of salt. Unless you hear it directly from WDW, chances are, it could flop. Big time.

awallaceunc

TAC said:
How do you know it wasn't a CM that was new and had never experienced July 4th at WDW before? Maybe it was a CM that didn't fully speak English and didn't fully understand the question ? You're not even sure of what was asked.

Granted, it may not have been the first time that question was asked of that CM that day, but then again, it's entirely possible it was.

*It may have been a new CM, but that's no excuse for giving out wrong information... "I'm pretty new and I'm honestly not sure, let me get someone to answer that for you" would have been fine.
*The CM was speaking English just fine, and seemed to understand the question
*I don't remember the exact questioning now, more than a year later, but I heard it clearly then... it wasn't like I was eavesdropping over the wall, this was loud enough for the whole restaurant to hear

I realize that CMs may sometimes give wrong information to amuse themselves, which I think is sad. It's not a guest's fault that said CM has grown weary. I would never have done this when I was a (non-theme park) CM.

-Aaron

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom