Backstage open for July 4th.

mhcueball2

Original Poster
I was walking around tomorrowland and noticed the backstage door in galaxy palace theater was open and tons of people walking through. Then I noticed the CMs redirecting people through the backstage door between the plaza restaurant and the noodle station. Afterwards, I was directed by a CM to that if I wanted to go from Main Street to Adventureland, I would have to go through backstage tomorrowland...go around the entire park...and go to Adventureland. I was with out-of-town family, or I would have totally gone that route. I did go backstage a little in tomorrowland (but I saw that part already on the backstage tour last year).

Is this normal...I really couldn't believe they were letting people in backstage??

So here are some bad pics from my cell.

07-04-08_1950.jpg

07-04-08_1949.jpg

07-04-08_1948.jpg

Next to the plaza restaurant.
07-04-08_2010.jpg

N234MM

We left MK through backstage on the 4th. I wish I had my camara with me because we where back there for a good 15 minutes just standing there waiting to get out. I'll bring it next year!

Skyway

I keep waiting for some schmuck on these boards to start whining "That ruins the magic!!!! Waaahhhh!"

Ain't nothing magical about 50,000+ hot, sweaty, ripe, smelly bodies cramming down Main Street as others are staking out spots for the parade--just so everyone can feel like they're walking through a turn-of-the-century town. By that point in the night, the magic is over. Get in your car and go home.

I gotta say, opening up those backstage areas really makes life pleasant during the Mass Exodus.

raven

I keep waiting for some schmuck on these boards to start whining "That ruins the magic!!!! Waaahhhh!"

Ain't nothing magical about 50,000+ hot, sweaty, ripe, smelly bodies cramming down Main Street as others are staking out spots for the parade--just so everyone can feel like they're walking through a turn-of-the-century town. By that point in the night, the magic is over. Get in your car and go home.

I gotta say, opening up those backstage areas really makes life pleasant during the Mass Exodus.

Whoa! The OP wasn't whining, just questioning because they've never seen that before.

But yes, it's typical for them to do that during busy times of the year. They actually do this all the time for Fantasmic. But since that's an every night occurence they've spruced it up a little more. But I remember when it wasn't.

In any case I think they could have at least put the planters in place as well as some drops to block the ugly views.

mhcueball2

Original Poster
Didn't say it really ruined the magic, just really wondering if that is a common occurrance for those type of events. But I got my question answered anyway...thank you. I'll have to take advantage of it next time.

wdwjmp239

Didn't say it really ruined the magic, just really wondering if that is a common occurrance for those type of events. But I got my question answered anyway...thank you. I'll have to take advantage of it next time.

The last time my wife and I went backstage was during New Years Eve in 2004. However, when I went to go take pictures of backstage, I was told to put the camera away and not to take pictures back there. Next time, I'll bring my iPhone. ;)

TrojanUSC

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is called a "Blow Out", where guests are asked to exit the park or a certain area of the park via a backstage area.

This is either used in situations where the park is extremely crowded and/or there is an emergency situation that requires guests out of an area as quickly as possible (bomb threat, etc).

kc1296426

Sometimes during Block Party Bash they open the gates between Sunset Blvd, and Hollywood Blvd which leads guests backstage. I actually took an assortment of photos, the cast member was really nice about it.

JuanD_20k

This is pretty standard for the 4th and New Years. I remember I was there two years ago (on the 4th) and it was impossible to move around except for through backstage. That being said you would think they would have a little more set up and a little better at hiding things just to keep things out of sight. :) Also I must say, every time that backstage has been opened the CM's are always very courteous to the guests.

It happens all the time, especially in the summer or during holidays.

It really cracks me up all the people who are willing to go out of their way for a few pics of the managers parking lot, some shrubbery, and a couple of CM's wearing a vest and tie. Congrats, you got a discoverd a huge secret, lol.

Gorjus

Afterwards, I was directed by a CM to that if I wanted to go from Main Street to Adventureland, I would have to go through backstage tomorrowland...go around the entire park...and go to Adventureland. I was with out-of-town family, or I would have totally gone that route.

They were pulling your leg. All the other items mentioned are very true. There are ways to get the guests out of the park without using Main St. However, the above mentioned pathway doesn't happen. As a cast member there is no way to do that...short of walking more than a mile on the road that cars take. And you wouldn't do that because you would just enter the tunnel and go under Main St and exit by either First Aid or Jungle Cruise or Pirates. It would be quicker to fight the crowds or wait for the parade to be over than walk around the whole park.

But yes, by all means get your cameras out and see cast members smoking, talking on their cell phones, and having a quick bite to eat.

Which reminds me...funny story. While hanging out in UK on a break, I was in the area where UK CM's can take their outside breaks. Alice was hanging out with them...not completely pulled together but mostly clothed. A tour group was entering the backstage area to get on their bus and kept walking by the area where we hung out. Even on her break, Alice had to sort of stay in character and smile and wave and as cameras were pointed towards her, we all said, in unison..."no no, no photos backstage." A few people would say..."oh look, thats ............." and we again would all say in unison: "ALICE!"

Also, if you want to see backstage for free, go to the Judge's tent on a really rainy day. You will be directed backstage to feed you back into the County Bounty store rather than go outside. Of course you might accidently run into Aurora who hadn't heard that guests were backstage and felt the need for a snack from the vending machines. So out she comes in her bloomers and sports bra and lab coat...oops.

cdunbar

Actually I was looking at your tomorrowland backstage photo and thought to myself I've been that way before and then it dawned on me! When we went to grad night back in 2005, our buses were told to park backstage behind the tomorrowland theater and thats the way we were brought in and the way we exited. My niece asked me about grad night this weekend because she gets to go 2 yrs from now, and when I told her I went in '05, she goes "Aunt Christa you're old!" I was like gee thanks I'm only 22!:brick:

lilredfoxie

Slightly unrelated, but last time I was at WDW (2006) I got to go through one of the "backstage" areas of the contemporary resort. I decided to take the stairs on the outside of the tower to try to get back to concourse level, little did I realize they lock those doors from the outside, and you can't get back in. I ended up walking down to the bottom, saw a few cast members hanging out on break, told them that I got locked out of the stairs, and they walked me through the "backstage" area of the hotel, and ended up, I forget if it was back out on the concourse or somewhere in the lobby. :king:

also, last time I was there, I got to see the former upstairs ImageWorks as I was on the Kim Possible thing they had going on there. :king:

DicksonGR

They were letting us down that way after the fireworks on the 3rd. I was taking a few sneaky shots with the camcorder and got yelled at by a cast member! The camera got put back in the bag very quickly. lol:lookaroun

Figment82

A similar type deal happens at Epcot on New Years Eve. They open up the pathway behind WS and Test Track to allow the guests that are leaving after the 9:30 IllumiNations (or just trying to get to Future World) to allow guests going back to World Showcase the ability to move easier. It stinks that the magic is lost temporarily, but honestly, it helps a great deal in crowd control.

surfsupdon

Tha's true. If you don't want to walk backstage, take the normal route. Each time I've seen the backstage pass, there was always an option to continue on main street or veer off. I always veered off. I like to keep moving.

scottb411

Run the Disney Marathon

Run the Disney Marathon (26.2 miles) and you get to see all kinds of backstage areas. They run you through the areas where they keep the floats at the Magic Kingdom and behind Expedition Everest. You also see where they grow all there plants. Get training ;-)

Pseybert

Sometimes during Block Party Bash they open the gates between Sunset Blvd, and Hollywood Blvd which leads guests backstage. I actually took an assortment of photos, the cast member was really nice about it.

This is barely even considered a backstage area. It serves as an exit for Fantasmic every night. If you look around, there is even some theming!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom