Backlot Tour "addition"

WDWYankee15

Unfortunately, with Planes 2 coming out next year, I think this will be with us until the Backlot Tour is no longer with us...

I view this as being akin to spray painting something in a museum.

UNLIMITED Time Magic! Wow can't this be a one week grin and bare it type moment?!? :in pain:

Last edited:

Sassagoula-Rvr

So, I'm assuming that the "smile" is a sticker of some sort. There is no way they actually painted on this thing. In a few weeks when this thing tanks, critics destroy it, and they want to pretend it never existed, they can just remove the stuff and it's all gone, right?
Please tell me I'm right about this.
Well...considering we had the wand...and still have the hat...these props are probably here to stay...kidding...maybe...I hope.

WDWYankee15

Coming to Backlot Spring 2014...BOATS: From the wet world of Cars!
cars_2_-_crabby_2.jpg

GrumpyFan

That's what Disney is though. They are there for the profit and to make money. If the plane addition bothers you that much, you can take your money elsewhere. There are still plenty of people that want to go to Disney each year. A few sour people won't hurt their attendance

That's completely understood, I expect them to make money and profit from their endeavors. However, that can only happen when they stick to their core values and the quality with which they were known for. This is NOT along those lines, this is very Six Flags-like in its presentation. Cheap and hastily put-together!
I still want to go to Disney. I still love Disney, their parks, their movies, etc. what I dislike is cheap knock-off imitations of entertainment and attractions that can easily be found elsewhere for much less, but yield far less value. I'm not sour at Disney, I just expect more from them than this. If you're okay with this, then good for you.

Sassagoula-Rvr

I think my previous post has gotten lost in the comments, but really, honestly, what is wrong with it? Walt wanted families to come together and enjoy his park. The kids would get a kick out of this! Yes, it may be corny, but HELLLOOOOO, it doesn't take much to make a little one smile! I mean, as a kid, I thought the mouse was REAL. Seeing a character IN THE FLESH makes a kid all warm and fuzzy inside. Isn't that what Walt wanted? They didn't tear the plane up. They didn't spray paint it. They didn't remove it. They simply added a cardboard cutout to the window to make it resemble a character that children are familiar with. Isn't it technically a "hidden Mickey" now? Gosh, you people are worse than the people that think PB&Js are racist!! If you are sick of the mouse, STOP GOING.

EDIT:: if you think THAT is bad, we have a freaking MONORAIL just sitting in the middle of no where!! Talk about disrespect to Disney. This thing has been sitting out in the open and getting sun faded. WHY ON EARTH DID TYRONE, GA FEEL IT NECESSARY TO BUY A MONORAIL??
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/24386

It wasn't forgotten...I just don't agree with it...this isn't a character...had they actually made one of the characters from the movie...that would have been great...It's akin to Disney buying an old grey mouse costume...then just slapping Mickey's outfit on it...and telling the kids to "Meet Mickey!!"

It's not the principle that Disney was founded on...and it's BAD SHOW...It boggles my mind how some people don't get that...

Disney can't control what Tyrone GA does...and they can't keep every car from every monorail....

bwang123

That's what Disney is though. They are there for the profit and to make money. If the plane addition bothers you that much, you can take your money elsewhere. There are still plenty of people that want to go to Disney each year. A few sour people won't hurt their attendance

There is no use in arguing with them. Their views of an addition that a lot of guests will probably think is cute represents a minority of people that actually visits the parks.

From out outside perspective, its humorous to read what a travesty and embarrassment a few stickers to a plane are to this group. Mostly what I gather from this message board is that they like going to Disney but they bash everything about it. I understand wanting the parks to be better and not on the cheap but acting like adding a minor detail to a plane is the end of the world is funny to me.

Last edited:

JimboJones123

Is Dane Cook really all that busy? Maybe they can just stick him out next to this to wave at all the passers-by.

Seriously though, this will be a great addition for the 12 people a day that still ride the backlot tour.

Still a solid people eater. That is why it has not been pulled yet.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I think my previous post has gotten lost in the comments, but really, honestly, what is wrong with it? Walt wanted families to come together and enjoy his park. The kids would get a kick out of this! Yes, it may be corny, but HELLLOOOOO, it doesn't take much to make a little one smile! I mean, as a kid, I thought the mouse was REAL. Seeing a character IN THE FLESH makes a kid all warm and fuzzy inside. Isn't that what Walt wanted? They didn't tear the plane up. They didn't spray paint it. They didn't remove it. They simply added a cardboard cutout to the window to make it resemble a character that children are familiar with. Isn't it technically a "hidden Mickey" now? Gosh, you people are worse than the people that think PB&Js are racist!! If you are sick of the mouse, STOP GOING.

EDIT:: if you think THAT is bad, we have a freaking MONORAIL just sitting in the middle of no where!! Talk about disrespect to Disney. This thing has been sitting out in the open and getting sun faded. WHY ON EARTH DID TYRONE, GA FEEL IT NECESSARY TO BUY A MONORAIL??
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/24386

Okie Dokie RunnerFool...I'll bite...

You're spot on in regard to Walt Disney wanting families to enjoy their time at his park. He made sure that unique opportunities for enjoyment existed by hiring the best and the brightest, whom he then constantly forced to new heights, outdoing themselves over and over again with the highest quality creations.

So then, what's wrong with this? Just a couple quick things...

As you mentioned, they slapped a cardboard cutout in the window and called it a day. Nobody ever confused a cardboard cutout with new creative heights. Ever. In the history of ever. So that's problem one - it simply isn't up to any kind of creative standard, let alone the Disney standard.

Second and final point, some things deserve a bit of respect. From everything I've read over the years, Walt didn't have any too many sacred cows, so under his watch that plane may have never been parked there in the first place. Of course he didn't make that decision, but the people who did brought it in with fanfare and respect at the time. As a fan of all things Disney, it's a neat thing don't you think? Imagine the stories that plane could tell. So problem two would be what many here on the board, including myself, obviously perceive as a slight to the respect previously shown. To boil it down, in my tiny uninformed opinion, if you're cool with this, you'd be cool with slapping "I'm with the band" shirts on the AA's at Hall of Presidents. I mean, kids might like it right? To quote another famous Disney speaker, "Same kind of thing, different name."

Anyhow, apologies that we ruffled your feathers. To each their own and so forth. Still love going to the parks. Doesn't mean you have to like everything they do.

Think I'll go have a delicious PB&J sammich...

Last edited:

Sassagoula-Rvr

There is no use in arguing with them. Their views of an addition that a lot of guests will probably think is cute represents a minority of people that actually visits the parks.

From out outside perspective, its humorous to read what a transitivity and embarrassment a few stickers to a plane are to this group. Mostly what I gather from this message board is that they like going to Disney but they bash everything about it. I understand wanting the parks to be better and not on the cheap but acting like adding a minor detail to a plane is the end of the world is funny to me.
I'm anything but a "basher" the people that complain about how much of a better place Universal is are the "bashers"...

One time, during a presentation of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln...there were technical issues that led to his movement being jerky and etc. Walt got up in front of the theater of people leading up to the worlds fair, and apologized...saying that the show is cancelled until the issues are resolved...Walt was never one to sacrifice show quality for short term profit...even if it meant suffering in the short term...And that anecdote is from the book "Disney U".

It upsets me when I see the company that was founded on the principle of quality and service above all else...falter from those standards...

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Okie Dokie RunnerFool...I'll bite...

You're spot in regard to Walt Disney wanting families to enjoy their time at his park. He made sure that unique opportunities for enjoyment existed by hiring the best and the brightest, whom he then constantly forced to new heights, outdoing themselves over and over again with the highest quality creations.

So then, what's wrong with this? Just a couple quick things...

As you mentioned, they slapped a cardboard cutout in the window and called it a day. Nobody ever confused a cardboard cutout with new creative heights. Ever. In the history of ever. So that's problem one - it simply isn't up to any kind of creative standard, let alone the Disney standard.

Second and final point, some things deserve a bit of respect. From everything I've read over the years, Walt didn't have any too many sacred cows, so under his watch that plane may have never been parked there in the first place. Of course he didn't make that decision, but the people who did brought it in with fanfare and respect at the time. As a fan of all things Disney, it's a neat thing don't you think? Imagine the stories that plane could tell. So problem two would be what many here on the board, including myself, obviously perceive as a slight to the respect previously shown. To boil it down, in my tiny uninformed opinion, if you're cool with this, you'd be cool with slapping "I'm with the band" shirts on the AA's at Hall of Presidents. I mean, kids might like it right? To quote another famous Disney speaker, "Same kind of thing, different name."

Anyhow, apologies that we ruffled your feathers. To each their own and so forth. Still love going to the parks. Doesn't mean you have to like everything they do.

Think I'll go have a delicious PB&J sammich...
Nicely put. I think they should put a "Miss me yet?" tshirt on GWB.........

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Still a solid people eater. That is why it has not been pulled yet.

Sad but true. Last week when we went on (DD9 still enjoys the catastrophe, even though the canned audio drives me nuts) it was completely full. Our tram and the one before it, both full. Much as I wish only 12 people a day were riding it, I would think the 5000-6000 range.

WDWYankee15

So, I'm assuming that the "smile" is a sticker of some sort. There is no way they actually painted on this thing. In a few weeks when this thing tanks, critics destroy it, and they want to pretend it never existed, they can just remove the stuff and it's all gone, right?
Please tell me I'm right about this.

I'm sure you are right, but WILL they actually take it off. Remember when DINOSAUR was "Countdown to Extinction"? A perfect name for the attraction, but then because you need synergy they changed the name to the generic "DINOSAUR." For a movie that was of little consequense and is not a memorable "Disney" movie there the ride sits with that bland name. A name that does little to invoke excitment, thrill, or a desire to ride. The name was perfect before and captured exactly what the experience was. Now does the name detract from the ride? Does it make anyone go on it less or enjoy it less? The answer there is no. However, in Walt's plane's case, seeing it is the only purpose, the only attraction. Therefore, changing it's appearance in and of itself is a fundamental change to the experience.

All this said, the point being is while it may come down quickly, I also may not come down any time soon... :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom