Backlot scheduled to close again

hunjadi

Help me out here, did there used to be a large airplane on the tour? I'm not talking about Walt's plane or anything in the bone yard. I seem to remember a plane inside across from the wood working shop. Am I imagining things or did this in fact exist at one point?

And to add in my two cents, if you haven't taken the "origional" Backstage tour you have no idea what you missed. There would be active sets, people in production rooms, a whole bunch more than what you see today. This was all part of the walking tour. I remember seeing show sets from the Disney Channel along with real production. My first time was 1991, but it was still there in 1997 and I think it may have been there in 2000 as well. Imagine my surprise six years later (May 2006) when I took the backstage tour only to see 75% of it missing.

sleepybear

Help me out here, did there used to be a large airplane on the tour? I'm not talking about Walt's plane or anything in the bone yard. I seem to remember a plane inside across from the wood working shop. Am I imagining things or did this in fact exist at one point?

And to add in my two cents, if you haven't taken the "origional" Backstage tour you have no idea what you missed. There would be active sets, people in production rooms, a whole bunch more than what you see today. This was all part of the walking tour. I remember seeing show sets from the Disney Channel along with real production. My first time was 1991, but it was still there in 1997 and I think it may have been there in 2000 as well. Imagine my surprise six years later (May 2006) when I took the backstage tour only to see 75% of it missing.

I think there was the plane interior used for that Wesley Snipes movie, "Passenger 57." I remember the inside of a plane there somewhere.

And I can relate to your surprise about the tour after not going on it for a few years. I was on it in 1994 then didn't ride again until 2004. I was astonished it had become that crappy.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Usually I'm the type of person that does not like to see things closed down for good, only made better or relocated. Heck, I'm even one of the twelve people in the world that absolutely has to experience Sounds Dangerous! each time I go to WDW. :lol: The Backlot Tour is the ONLY thing I'm in favor of shutting down and making room for something - anything - that will make the space better used.

Just please don't make anything Stitch or another meet 'n greet. :hammer:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was part of a Delta fuselage taken in wayyyy back in 88 or 89 - could it be that? (no relation to Dreamflight!)

Edit; it was an old Delta L10-11. The 65ft fuselage section was stored at the studios for Delta, and often used on Soundstage One for training and demonstration video shoots, as well as being hired out for commercials, or anyone who needed an interior of a plane.

Epcot82Guy

I am really glad you posted this. I, for years, thought I was insane thinking the tram used to load where th Animation Tour started. I forgot about the switch. I feel such redemption! Thanks! :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am really glad you posted this. I, for years, thought I was insane thinking the tram used to load where th Animation Tour started. I forgot about the switch. I feel such redemption! Thanks! :lol:
You`re welcome! You wouldn`t think it looking at it today would you?

Attachments

• Original Tram entrance.jpg
    Original Tram entrance.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 60

hrcollectibles

I like the back lot tour. But it does seem to lack something. I remember riding it way back in the early 90's and It was fun :) I rememebr in the mid 90's seeing the tank they used in Thungder in Paradise :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom