Back from our first time at Disney World!

jilliansmom

Original Poster
Well, we were at Disney last week for the first time. I have to say I was a little disappointed. First, we definitely needed more than one day in the park. There were so many people!! OMG it was outrageous. We got there at opening 9am and stayed until 9pm. IN those 12 hours we were able to ride 5 rides. It took us 1.5 hours to get from the ferry to our cars. What a mess! The light parade was awesome as well as the fireworks. That was my favorite part IMO.

As much as we all tried to enjoy the day, I have to say it was way overcrowded. More than I expected anyway.

Seaworld was nice. As well as Universal Studios. Next time I will try to get more than one day at Disney.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
5 rides? One day? Oh dear!

Plan ahead, do research. Even with huge crowds, with planning and fast pass you should manage far more than 5 rides. I take it you just stayed in the MK? You need at least 2, maybe more, to see most of the park at a nice pace :wave:

jilliansmom

Original Poster
I totally thought that I had

alot "planned" out- especially due to reading this board etc....

When we got there I think we were all overwhelmed... IT was almost chaotic. I really felt bad that we missed out on alot.

All in all, it was a good experience.

We did use fast pass on 3 rides. The time just seemed to fly right by.

pacochran

We had friends that went last week and said the same thing, they found out that it was Florida School vacation week so probably why so crowded. They said never again they would double check when the vacation was next time.

DisneyPrincess5

alot "planned" out- especially due to reading this board etc....

When we got there I think we were all overwhelmed... IT was almost chaotic. I really felt bad that we missed out on alot.

All in all, it was a good experience.

We did use fast pass on 3 rides. The time just seemed to fly right by.

Aww oh boy...the more you go and the more you research and keep up with things, you'll become a pro!

coltow

Ouch, I'd probably cry if I only got 5 rides done in 12 hours. What ones did you do? I wonder why it was so crazy busy, spring break?

jilliansmom

Original Poster
The rides we went on:

I went with my daughter on some kiddie rollercoaster.. not sure of the name

Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Walked through Swiss Family Tree

That was it

Figment632

Im sorry I just find it hard to belive that you managed time well because I was there on New Years eve and day when they closed the park because it was filled to capacity.

We did.

Spance Mountain
Haunted Manshion
Buzz
MILF

Pirates
Jungle Cruise
TTA
COP
Peter Pan
Philharmagic
Snow White
Small World

I was able to do all of this in one day.

lebeau

Wow. That's not good.

I think we Disney regulars sometimes forget how overwhelming WDW can be for first timers. I was lucky. The first trip I planned was during the off season after 9/11. The place was deserted. So there really was no learning curve. I can't imagine trying to cram the Magic Kingdom into one day when it's busy.

Hopefully, you'll keep reading and give it another shot.

If you have the energy for it, read the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World from cover to cover before your next trip. It has everything you need to know (and then some)!

jilliansmom

Original Poster
Guess we didn't manage our time well

I guess taking into account the baby swap, feedings, diaper changing, walking, took time... Maybe next time without the baby.

FBullock

Hate you only got in 5 rides but did you do any shows, parade (other than Spectro), etc. Did you do a set down meal or quick services? for us, we do quick service because we want to spend more time in the park. If you do set down (table service), it can take 1 to 3 hours depending on the time you go.

1st time is overwhelming. I took my mom last year for her time last May (she's 79) and I had everthing planned out and all she had to do was get dressed and be there and she was over whelmed. However, she is still talking about and wishing she had gone sooner. You'll always remember your 1st trip and the things you did and saw.

girlface

Well, we were at Disney last week for the first time. I have to say I was a little disappointed. First, we definitely needed more than one day in the park. There were so many people!! OMG it was outrageous. We got there at opening 9am and stayed until 9pm. IN those 12 hours we were able to ride 5 rides. It took us 1.5 hours to get from the ferry to our cars. What a mess! The light parade was awesome as well as the fireworks. That was my favorite part IMO.

As much as we all tried to enjoy the day, I have to say it was way overcrowded. More than I expected anyway.

Seaworld was nice. As well as Universal Studios. Next time I will try to get more than one day at Disney.

Im not disrespecting you at all when i say this but i cant blieve you were disappointed. No offence but it sounds about spoilt. Then again when i went for the first time i was expecting to be disappointed and thought it wasnt that great but loved it when i was there. Its amazing i love. Then again you sound like you were just having a bad day,what with not getting much done and so on.:animwink:

lebeau

Ah. I see.

Taking a baby to MK changes things. It will definitely slow you down.

If you go with a baby, you're mostly taking in the atmosphere. You have to expect a much slower pace.

jilliansmom

Original Poster
I can admit I am "spoilt"

spoiled.. Have to take into account, each ride took us two times through as one of us had to sit with the baby. So that took alot of the time.

Just being at the "Happiest Place On Earth" you would think the visitors there with their children would be happy. I can't tell you how many times we were shoved, pushed, nudged, cut in front of, etc... from people rushing from here to there. The other visitors did have an influence on my overall attitude of the park.

Right when we got there to get on the ferry some lady comes barreling through with her kids and shoves her coffee all over my shirt. That pretty much started off my day. Especially after she is yelling Move people Move

So anyway, in my opinion, yes it is a nice place. Yes they spend a lot on shows, lights, etc.. It is a experience in itself.

Mstr Gra-c

When my wife and I went for our honeymoon we saw a number of parents with babies. We detrmined that the best time to start taking a child to Disney World would be about 5 or 6. At this age they are beginning to be more self sufficient, they are much more cognitive of whats going on and more importantly...they have a ton of energy and things that seem tiring and burdensome to adults due to...well...adulthood, are easy for kids, they fly through like hummingbirds.
Also, you went in the spring which generally is a busier time.

Did you go to any other parks?
Did you stay in one of the resorts?

jilliansmom

Original Poster
Besides DW

We went to the Wonderworks Museum.. which was pretty cool

Seaworld and Universal Studios. I wish we would have checked out Hollywood, but we had to leave.

girlface

spoiled.. Have to take into account, each ride took us two times through as one of us had to sit with the baby. So that took alot of the time.

Just being at the "Happiest Place On Earth" you would think the visitors there with their children would be happy. I can't tell you how many times we were shoved, pushed, nudged, cut in front of, etc... from people rushing from here to there. The other visitors did have an influence on my overall attitude of the park.

Right when we got there to get on the ferry some lady comes barreling through with her kids and shoves her coffee all over my shirt. That pretty much started off my day. Especially after she is yelling Move people Move

So anyway, in my opinion, yes it is a nice place. Yes they spend a lot on shows, lights, etc.. It is a experience in itself.

I wasnt being rude when i said you spoilt,i didnt mean it in a harsh way,i just meant some people would love to go and they cant. Its normal for people to get like that. I think its just that i think its amazing :) x

jilliansmom

Original Poster
Gotcha! I understand and apologize for my

response. I don't need to take my inner frustration out on those here, after all, you all have helped me out with advice and such.

So, Now I know, for next time I can prepare better..

girlface

response. I don't need to take my inner frustration out on those here, after all, you all have helped me out with advice and such.

So, Now I know, for next time I can prepare better..

One thing i do agree with is the pushing and shoveing and the rudeness of some people. That totally made me want to flip out. haha. Yes,thats one thing that can tick you of.:D Hopefully next time you will enjoy yourself :) (I can see what it ruined your day,i have veery little patience so i would be in a horrible mood)
We had a few incidents were people were pushing in and my mum went crazy at them haha. x

lebeau

It's a real shame how you were treated by other park guests. Unfortunately, tourists tend to leave their brains (and manners) at the gates in all the excitement of being at WDW.

There's lots of info out there about touring WDW with young children. It's definitely something you have to be prepared for. Hopefully you'll be better prepared and have a better experience next time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom