Back from 6 days at AKL - the end of August is no longer a secret

tarin24u

Just got back from 6 days in a 2bdrm villa - AKL Kidani is stunning!! Just beautiful, lovely atmosphere... but really big. We were in the second to last bead on the left, fifth floor - really long walk to the lobby. On Tuesday we realized the Pumba elevator closest to us led right down to the pool :p I would think AKL could be rough with little ones because it's so large but we loved it! We saw so many animals every day - zebras slept outside our window and the giraffes were everywhere. We had a Sunset Savannah view and the villa was huge. 3 bathrooms, all the amenities anyone could need, and surprisingly bright. I expected the rooms to be darker based on what I had read but I didn't find them dark at all. My DH and two teen DDs loved it.

Weather - it did rain during EMH nights on the 19th, 20th, and 21st but it was OK. The 21st at EPCOT EMH it rained a lot but Illuminations was beautiful and we still had fun.

Boma and Tokyo Dining - lovely. Really good food.

Crowds - WOW! MK was so jammed on the 23rd for the Electric Parade and Wishes. I have never experienced those kinds of crowds in August. There were two showing of Fantasmic on the 20th - jammed. The 8:30 was closed and the 10:00 had lines past Starring Rolls by 9:00 so we went on Toy Story Mania instead. I was really sad not to see Fantasmic this trip but there's always next time :)

So the secret is out - the end of August is not a level 5 on the crowd meter anymore!!! This is our 4th time in August and we were all really shocked. I can only imagine what this week is with free dining!! Several people did mention two big conventions in town last week and people at AKL were talking about Disney hotels being full so.... glad to see the park were busy because it means people are working!!

Nero the dog

I'm at OKW now. Resort is at capacity according to concierge.
Monday at the parks was great after the rain stopped. At Magic Kingdom every ride was walk on.
However, Tuesday was packed.
The thing I have noticed is how few Americans are here, I'm from the UK, but I have never seen so many French and Germans here before. I was even in a queue behind a group of young Russian's.
Maybe the free dining has moved a lot of the overseas visitors into this time of year.
Speaking to some of the waiters off site they are all complaining about how quiet it is.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Just got back from 6 days in a 2bdrm villa - AKL Kidani is stunning!! Just beautiful, lovely atmosphere... but really big. We were in the second to last bead on the left, fifth floor - really long walk to the lobby. On Tuesday we realized the Pumba elevator closest to us led right down to the pool :p I would think AKL could be rough with little ones because it's so large but we loved it! We saw so many animals every day - zebras slept outside our window and the giraffes were everywhere. We had a Sunset Savannah view and the villa was huge. 3 bathrooms, all the amenities anyone could need, and surprisingly bright. I expected the rooms to be darker based on what I had read but I didn't find them dark at all. My DH and two teen DDs loved it.

Weather - it did rain during EMH nights on the 19th, 20th, and 21st but it was OK. The 21st at EPCOT EMH it rained a lot but Illuminations was beautiful and we still had fun.

Crowds - WOW! MK was so jammed on the 23rd for the Electric Parade and Wishes. I have never experienced those kinds of crowds in August. There were two showing of Fantasmic on the 20th - jammed. The 8:30 was closed and the 10:00 had lines past Starring Rolls by 9:00 so we went on Toy Story Mania instead. I was really sad not to see Fantasmic this trip but there's always next time :)

So the secret is out - the end of August is not a level 5 on the crowd meter anymore!!! This is our 4th time in August and we were all really shocked. I can only imagine what this week is with free dining!! Several people did mention two big conventions in town last week and people at AKL were talking about Disney hotels being full so.... glad to see the park were busy because it means people are working!!
We were there at the same time :) Just different resorts :) We donned our ponchos and dealt with the weather, we were in that cancelled night of fantasmic...and skipped the 10 show because of the lines we saw on the way out too...i rode star tours instead.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

I'm at OKW now. Resort is at capacity according to concierge.
Monday at the parks was great after the rain stopped. At Magic Kingdom every ride was walk on.
However, Tuesday was packed.
The thing I have noticed is how few Americans are here, I'm from the UK, but I have never seen so many French and Germans here before. I was even in a queue behind a group of young Russian's.
Maybe the free dining has moved a lot of the overseas visitors into this time of year.
Speaking to some of the waiters off site they are all complaining about how quiet it is.
I found the same thing when i was there...was always looking for a conversation with someone about how much fun we were having, or on the bus on the way to the park, and every time wed discover they spoke french or another language.

Upvote 0

ceverette

!

Glad to hear about your views of the savannah! How was the bus ride to MK from AKL? We will be there this weekend.

Upvote 0

tarin24u

Original Poster
Bus ride never bothered me. Bus came to Kidani then went to Jambo and MK. 10 minutes tops. We always rent a car because we do Universal as well and we did drive to the other parks -the AAA Diamond parking pass rocks! AKL is lovely. We walked around Jambo and it was just as beautiful. Much bigger lobby and more food choices but I fell in love with the Kidani pool and our room.

My husband and I both commented on the diversity of the visitors - lots of international guests. Everyone was really nice, respectful, and seemed to be enjoying themselves. The cast members were really cool and very friendly. Mary at AK told us that once Avatarland opens up AK will have a late night, too. Something is happening at Universal, too. They are building something in the middle past the old Jaws ride.

Upvote 0

ceverette

Thanks for the info. The biggest concern we have is AKL being so far from everything else besides AK. How was the pool? Thanks for all of the info by the way.

Upvote 0

tarin24u

Original Poster
Pool is beautiful! Refill for mugs at the bar and food was good, movies at 9pm every nite, lots of pool games for kids. The staff was great and there were things to do for kids all day. The tables filled up around the pool but we always found lounge chairs. We did the pool every day from about 1:30 to 4pm. We did go Wens evening around 9pm when we returned from Universal and there were lots of kids and the movie was Honey I Shrunk (I think). I think the lifeguards were there until 10pm. The Rafiki and Pumba elevators will take you to the pool.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Thanks for the info. The biggest concern we have is AKL being so far from everything else besides AK. How was the pool? Thanks for all of the info by the way.

I loved how the AKL felt removed from the rest of WDW. I never thought of it as "far away" in distance or travel time, it just feels that way because of the seclusion. It's like having this secret vacation within your vacation. I loved that aspect of staying at the AKL. Have fun with it!

Upvote 0

ceverette

I loved how the AKL felt removed from the rest of WDW. I never thought of it as "far away" in distance or travel time, it just feels that way because of the seclusion. It's like having this secret vacation within your vacation. I loved that aspect of staying at the AKL. Have fun with it!

Thanks! We actually planned a separate day just for the hotel which is very rare for us on vacation. Our goal is to try and stay at every resort on property and we're about half way through. We put this one off since we have a 5yr old and who loves MK but also likes AK.

Any tips on certain things you did at AKL?

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I popped in to Studios on Tuesday night after the rain stopped and it was dead. Everything but Toy Story was a walk on, and that only had a 40 minute wait (and in reality, it was more like 30). The second Fantasmic only used three sections of seats.

I had a feeling it would be like that, which was why I drove over after the rain. I'm glad I did!

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

My DBF went for the first "official" time last week with me. He was like this is a level 5?! I'm like no..somethings off. That was definately not a 5! LOL we just rolled with it though! :D

Upvote 0

tarin24u

Original Poster
Thanks! We actually planned a separate day just for the
hotel which is very rare for us on vacation. Our goal is to try and stay at every resort on property and we're about half way through. We put this one off since we have a 5yr old and who loves MK but also likes AK.

Any tips on certain things you did at AKL?

In your room you will get a list of the animals you might see. We checked the list a lot and saw almost everything. Look for the hidden mickeys - we found quite a few :) Eat breakfast at Boma. It's very good and reasonable. Visit the Jambo pool if you are spending a day at the resort. You can take any park bus from Kidani to Jambo. There are activities listed in the lobby every day, too. You will have a great time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom