News 'Awesome Planet' coming to The Land pavilion

Ripken10

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Well I kind of thought the same thing when you said it. Not saying I agree or disagree with the conclusion. But you used an anecdotal story to make a point. Kind of like me saying my son's favorite "toy" at Christmas was a cardboard box a toy came in, and not any of the toys themselves, therefore, cardboard boxes can be amazing experiences for kids.

Well, actually, cardboard boxes can be...

Missing20K

But you used an anecdotal story to make a point.
Which is not inherently wrong. We are all walking anecdotes about how we experience life, let alone how we experience theme parks.

Anecdotal evidence is limited, yes, subject to biases, yes, but it is still valid data. It's just gotten a bad rap in the era of quantitative Big Data.

Don't Forget the Plural of Anecdote is Data

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well I kind of thought the same thing when you said it. Not saying I agree or disagree with the conclusion. But you used an anecdotal story to make a point. Kind of like me saying my son's favorite "toy" at Christmas was a cardboard box a toy came in, and not any of the toys themselves, therefore, cardboard boxes can be amazing experiences for kids.

Well, actually, cardboard boxes can be...
The assertion earlier in the thread was that kids don't like Epcot or learning. I was responding with a data point. Now it's very possible that my experience is the minority one. But it is a data point,.one which has more validity than the assertions that 'kids don't like Epcot' or 'people want IP' with zero supporting evidence. These are assertions without any data at all, whereas mine was 'kids do like Epcot; here are two examples'.

Anecdotal evidence is not determinitive but it's not invalid either. It can refute an assertion (kids don't like Epcot) because it illustrates a counter point to the assertion. If the statement was ' most kids don't like Epcot' then the anecdotal evidence would have less value, but would still be a data point, and one more data point than the person who made the assertion without any data points.

And many data sets are nothing more than compilations of many, many pieces of anecdotal evidence.

Next Big Thing

Exciting to see something new coming to almost every original future world pavilion! Seas and Imagination, looking at you...

I'm curious about how they'll set this apart from something you could just do at home. Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Life, etc are all readily available on Netflix.
Easy. I'd have to care enough to spend the time to watch those in my free time. While in a theme park, I want to see and experience things, so i'd be totally down to watch something like this. I assume i'm not the only one in the world who doesn't binge watch short films or documentaries about the Earth just for the fun of it.

PorterRedkey

Yes it is still such a relevant attraction! I rode with with two 7 years old this past week and they were entranced the entire time. It just disproves what many on here claim, that kids don't want to learn while on vacation.
Sometimes I wonder if it was the kids who “didn’t like” EPCOT (even though the park had more visitors back then).
Kids can find amusement and wonder in the littlest of things. EPCOT Center was full of amazing environments to take in like the Land, Imagination, SSE’s 180 top, and giant dinosaurs, just to name a few. Kids I knew thought EPCOT was amazing.
I think in some situations it was the less curious adults who “didn’t like” the park.

MrPromey

Yes it is still such a relevant attraction! I rode with with two 7 years old this past week and they were entranced the entire time. It just disproves what many on here claim, that kids don't want to learn while on vacation.

I think part of the charm of this one is what feels like the "realness" of it. Of course, if you take the behind the seeds tour, they'll admit that the "research" isn't what it's made to be on the ride, about how the fish are basically just pets, and that some of the food they use comes from the greenhouses (well obviously, there isn't enough in there to feed one lunch crowd for a day in that pavilion) but it starts off like a bunch of other classic future world attractions and then you go out there and it's real stuff with real plants and real things going on. Literally every visit is a bit different as a result.

No projections, (almost) no video screens* - it's all physical and on a level kids can appreciate.

How many children have seen a banana tree in person? For that matter, how many have ever seen a tomato "tree"?

I can think of only two, maybe three things that could really modernize this besides a general "spit-and-polish" - updating the rotating films in the one area that show the innovative things people in different parts of the world are trying so that it reflects things that today, are actually innovative, do something with the shrimp and whatever-else-is-supposed-to-be-there area which is always mostly empty, and maybe do an update to the end which is just static backlit photos on a rotating light sequence... and I'd say that last one staying as-is wouldn't even be that bad.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Sometimes I wonder if it was the kids who “didn’t like” EPCOT (even though the park had more visitors back then).
Kids can find amusement and wonder in the littlest of things. EPCOT Center was full of amazing environments to take in like the Land, Imagination, SSE’s 180 top, and giant dinosaurs, just to name a few. Kids I knew thought EPCOT was amazing.
I think in some situations it was the less curious adults who “didn’t like” the park.

Beyond cool looking buildings, I think there was historically, a little less to keep kids' interest in World Showcase, though. Some cool live street entertainment if you were there when it was going on but otherwise, for my childhood, it always felt like a reason for the grownups I was with to go shopping, most of the time.

Missing20K

Beyond cool looking buildings, I think there was historically, a little less to keep kids' interest in World Showcase, though. Some cool live street entertainment if you were there when it was going on but otherwise, for my childhood, it always felt like a reason for the grownups I was with to go shopping, most of the time.
Just as a note that we all experience the parks differently, the "cool looking buildings" are what I adored about WS and that, as well as Main Street, in combo with the blessed opportunity to travel overseas as a child, inspired me to become an architect.

Neither your experience, nor mine, are any more or less valid than the other. They are just different.

I hope DIS does not lose sight of the fact that different things appeal to different people, and they must build a variety of attractions both IP/non-IP and thrill/family. It's why I sincerely applaud this new development and it gives me a modicum of hope for the future.

MrPromey

My 6-year olds were ALL IN for SSE this last trip. They thought it was so cool to SEE history. Meanwhile, this marked the trip where they no longer asked to ride Frozen Ever After...

I think as adults, it's easy for us to ride through and see outdated animatronics and a romanticised version of history. For kids, especially today, now that Disney uses a lot fewer articulated animatronics, the magic is still very much there. Add to that the sheer wonder of knowing that whole thing is contained in that giant ball they just walked under and you've got Pure Disney Magic®.

MrPromey

Just as a note that we all experience the parks differently, the "cool looking buildings" are what I adored about WS and that, as well as Main Street, in combo with the blessed opportunity to travel overseas as a child, inspired me to become an architect.

Neither your experience, nor mine, are any more or less valid than the other. They are just different.

I hope DIS does not lose sight of the fact that different things appeal to different people, and they must build a variety of attractions both IP/non-IP and thrill/family. It's why I sincerely applaud this new development and it gives me a modicum of hope for the future.

To be clear, I'm not discounting your personal experience at all (and I don't think anyone else is, either). In fact, all I'm doing is expressing my own personal data point.

We're cool.

My memory of World Showcase as a child was spending most of the time in shops (love Norway for the Trolls for this reason) and being forced to eat souerkraut. It had cool looking buildings but Future World did too and those cool looking buildings actually had stuff for me to do inside them.

I've always loved American Adventure because it hits a similar note that SSE does but really have no fond childhood memories of Morocco, UK, Germany, Italy, and somwhere-in-Africa-that-isn't-an-unstable-country-land for instance. What I remember most about the circle-vision in Canada was not being allowed to sit.

I feel this area was built with a mind more to an adult audience, originally, and that most of the family-friendly features came in the form of the live entertainment you could catch in France, or say the magician/wax guy in Japan, China, etc. More than half of those pavilions today still only feature sit-down restaurants and alcohol and shopping as their "attraction".

I'm glad that it sparked a sense of wonder for you that carried over into adult life and helped shape your own personal future. I always thought the settings in places like Morroco and Germany and Italy were cool (and not to dig too much on Canada's movie but Canada, too), I'd have just liked them more if there had been something in them for me to do the way it appeared there was for adults.

There were no "special" drinks for me and kid-cot didn't come along until later - not that I think kindergarten craft projects are suitable substitutes for attractions intended to hold the interest of children along side adults.

That said, I still think it's the wrong place for Frozen but I can accept what's happening in Paris and a carosel in the UK would be a welcome sight to me, too. If Germany and Japan had gotten what they were originally supposed to, I'd have probably had a much better opinion of this area as a six year old back in the day with my Four Seasons Pass, too. :)

Last edited:

Missing20K

To be clear, I'm not discounting your personal experience at all (and I don't think anyone else is, either). In fact, all I'm doing is expressing my own personal "data" point.

We're cool.

My memory of World Showcase as a child was spending most of the time in shops (love Norway for the Trolls for this reason) and being forced to eat souerkraut. It had cool looking buildings but Future World did too and those cool looking buildings actually had stuff for me to do inside them.

I've always loved American Adventure because it hits a similar note that SSE does but really have no fond childhood memories of Morocco, UK, Germany, Italy, and somwhere-in-Africa-that-isn't-an-unstable-country-land for instance. What I remember most about the circle-vision in Canada was not being allowed to sit.

I feel this area was built with a mind more to an adult audience, originally, and that most of the family-friendly features came in the form of the live entertainment you could catch in France, or say the magician/wax guy in Japan, China, etc. More than half of those pavilions today still only feature sit-down restaurants and alcohol and shopping as their "attraction".

I'm glad that it sparked a sense of wonder for you that carried over into adult life and helped shape your own personal future. I always thought the settings in places like Morroco and Germany and Italy were cool (and not to dig too much on Canada's movie but Canada, too), I'd have just liked them more if there had been something in them for me to do the way it appeared there was for adults.

There were no "special" drinks for me and kid-cot didn't come along until later - not that I think kindergarten craft projects are suitable substitutes for attractions intended to hold the interest of children along side adults.

That said, I still think it's the wrong place for Frozen but I can accept what's happening in Paris and a carosel in the UK would be a welcome sight to me, too. If Germany and Japan had gotten what they were originally supposed to, I'd have probably had a much better opinion of this area as a six year old back in the day with my Four Seasons Pass, too. :)
Oh absolutely, I apologize if my post came off as dismissive of your experience. Not the intent at all. Just wanted to bring a counterpoint and also address the idea that both experiences are equally valid. And that Disney should attempt to cater to as many different experiences as is reasonable.

And I certainly won't argue that there were times I was bored and ready for mom to leave the shops. Perhaps that boredom of sitting in the various courtyards waiting gave me the opportunity to slow down and really "see" the buildings, and the details, and gain a better appreciation than I would have, had we just scurried through each pavilion.

I guess I should call mom and thank her for doing all that shopping when on vacations! :D

But I do see your point and agree with some aspects.

MrPromey

Oh absolutely, I apologize if my post came off as dismissive of your experience. Not the intent at all. Just wanted to bring a counterpoint and also address the idea that both experiences are equally valid. And that Disney should attempt to cater to as many different experiences as is reasonable.

And I certainly won't argue that there were times I was bored and ready for mom to leave the shops. Perhaps that boredom of sitting in the various courtyards waiting gave me the opportunity to slow down and really "see" the buildings, and the details, and gain a better appreciation than I would have, had we just scurried through each pavilion.

I guess I should call mom and thank her for doing all that shopping when on vacations! :D

But I do see your point and agree with some aspects.

Not dismissive at all - just a little defensive when reading through the whole conversation. I was in fact, just trying to make clear that I wasn't trying to pile on you for your point of view. :)

DreamfinderGuy

Poster is up in the old Lion King frame.
B05F91DE-EF12-438E-961E-C44D180D6342.jpeg
A25946D3-346B-4A8B-AAC0-24BA6ACC80CE.jpeg

Wall Carpet is still alive too
4B3F54F3-B70E-4A45-BBB4-B6AB2C44CB62.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom