Avoiding Gay Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Anybody know the dates for "Gay Days" next year for WDW? My family and I are traveling down and we want to avoid this as much as possible since we have a eight year old boy and a four year girl traveling with the group. We want to avoid the big summer rush so we are going the beginning of June to avoid those late June school releases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maria

Originally posted by tommyboy12099
Nope Im married but I love Disney gals. I dont need to add my picture but I kinda look like Brad Pitt:)

LOL I believe you! The good guys are playing "bench". :lol: :animwink: :animwink:

Upvote 0

Scooter

Oooops...I went last year...I thought someone said it was "PAY Day"

I spent the whole day looking for a guy with a Big bag of money!
:brick: :hammer:

Boy is MY face red.:p

Upvote 0

GaryT977

Originally posted by RPMdfw
Hey, Gary! Are you planning on hitting the Adventurer's Club on Thursday June 5th for the later shows? Apparently that's th night most of the people I've talked to are going. Sounds like fun to me, and I'll be there!:D

I heard that too, and I guess I'll have to check it out. I went went a group of friends last year and hung out at the AC for about an hour. It was kewl, but we ended up going back to 8-Trax 'cause none of us could stand to be in a bar without music for too long. ;)

Upvote 0

mickeykid79

Last Year's Memo to Disney Reosrt Guest

Here's a memo given out to Disney Resort guest last year during GAY DAY.(You made have to zoom int a little to read it)

Me, personally enjoy "gay day" and i feel the only people that were there causing the most trouble were either "str8s" or those christian coalition people.

www.geocities.com/coaster08/Untitled-1.gif
(may have to enter it manually)

Upvote 0

enfilm

I was there last year too, had a blast. Didn't see any inappropriate behavior. Everyone was very well behaved. Saw some TV cameras doing a story for the news. Some guys in red shirts got picked to be in the parade and it was fun to see them camp it up. The only inconvience was a cranky traveling companion, it's difficult to dance till 2 in the morning and be perky at the park the next day.

I've got to get going on booking a room for this year!!!

Ed

Upvote 0

terry55

The only problem with gay days will be the crowds. The parks are very crowded on the days they choose for that park. As far as problems, there are none, like one poster said they are there to see Mickey. i would not worry about going at this time but I would set my schedule to not be at the same park as they are scheduled to be there as it will be very crowded.

Upvote 0

thumper

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Where, O Where is the website and offcial weekend information for
Non-English Speaking Line Jumpers
Cheerleader Competitions
People who insist their crying child will be "just fine" in Alien Encounter?

I'd really prefer to avoid those groups if I could.............

Yellow Shoes - love your comment! :lol:

My husband and I were at WDW last year for our 1 yr anniversary during the week of the Gay Day celebrations. As other people have mentioned in this message string, it was quite uneventful. We didn't witness anyone displaying an overload of public affection. Then again, we weren't really focusing on "who was doing what"..just enjoying our anniversary and vacation!:)

One story though - we were leaving EPCOT heading back to the Wilderness Lodge on a Disney bus. A group of women who made it publicly clear on the bus that they were there for the GayDay celebration began singing the Mickey Mouse Club song. At first, the kids on the bus thought it was great and started singing along. Then it got a little too rowdy, and they began singing other tunes. It was a little annoying to say the least! The bus dropped off at the campground first and the women got off the bus. Before exiting, they said goodbye to everyone on the bus and explained that they had too much to drink. I thought one father on the bus was going to deck the woman and push her off! The bus driver closed the doors and there was silence. She came on the loudspeaker and said, "Aren't you glad you folks are staying at the Lodge?" I think everyone chuckled and made light of it. :)

Upvote 0

iluvwdw

Thumper, I was there last year for my 1 year anniversary, too! I was at the Magic Kingdom during the day and then we went to MGM to see Famtasmic that night. Well, I had no idea about GAYDAY and it was an experience! The park was EXTREMELY crowded that day...I have never seen it that crowded in all of the times I have ever been there! And everyone participating was wearing their own version of GAY DAY 2002 tee shirts...every color, every design...It seemed like the whole park was gay that day because everyone was in a GAY DAY tee shirt! It didn't bother me, it's just that the lines were so much longer that day and it was incredibly hot!!

Later we went to MGM. As we were leaving, a lot of GAY DAY participants were entering the park. I think there was a big party there, after the park closed!

Overall, it was a great time and did not bother us one bit!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

OK here is my .02 The original post wanted to know about going with children. We went last year during Gay Days. when I made our ressies I had no idea there was a Gay Days (OK I am out of the loop on alot of things!) anyway our airline/hotel deals were far too cheap for me to change.

we had 2 weeks at WDW 1 prior to and 1 during. We had 5 children ages 2-13 with us the youngest were girls the oldest 2 were preteen and teen boys (our nephews).

now with that being said, I probably would not go back during this time...why? CROWDS! nothing against anyones personal sexuality (nothing I really care to know actually) but the lines of people were more non-child and many people w/o children don't have the patience to be around children esp. when its 95 degrees outside and you are waiting an hour for a show/ride/parade etc. we didn't have any real problems, except with one guy and his super short shorts waiting for a parade but that sort of thing could happen anytime. Still its not the expected mom and pop crowd wdw shows in the commercials, so if thats what your going for, change your dates, otherwise be prepared for your kids to see kissing, hand holding, hugging, laughing, smiles, frowns, tempers, fits, attitudes, basically the same thing everyone does, just this time it would be more male/male and female/female.

one other thing..I didnt know about the whole red shirt thing...the boys wore their St.Louis Cardinal t-shirts (very red) and someone made a remark in passing..well, the boys became very sensitive about it so my husband (being Super Uncle) bought them different t-shirts to wear...something about boys that age being sensitive about their image????

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just a quick comment. I visited on gay day a couple of years ago with my kids, the lines for the "adult" rides were huge, we wated nearly 3 hours for splash, the kiddie ride lines however were non existant and the kids had a great time.

As for the general demenour of the park, I can only say that my kids were made more nervous by the demonstrating christian paramilitaries on the way into the world than by any activity that took place within its confines. ( Even though there was the odd displaced extra from Pricilla Queen of the Desert).:)

Upvote 0

Ian

Look i agree that there is nothign wrong with the gayday occasion at disney but i do think that it should be a disney rule to have to let their guests aware of this time of year. My friend and her family attended last year and all her and her cousin did was get hit on and checked out the entire week. Not eve knowing that this would be going on they were stuck in this surrounding all week and im sure it wasnt fair to anyone. Therefore i agree that this is completely fair to have every year but should be let known to all guests attending around that time of year.

Upvote 0

wdwcp98

I have worked in the MK on GayDay in the past and the only comment I have is that it's more crowded than usual for early June. The crowd that comes to visit has always been respectful and nice, at least to me.

As far as the post regarding the incident at PI:

"Last year was different... confrontational. I am married and straight and I still got messed with. I was groped(in the front) while at 8 trax by some guy and I got in a pushing match, then 2 hours later and completely sober, I saw a guy having ______ with another guy on the outer wall of the top floor of manequins, one was on a stool and the other guy sat on him-I SAW PENETRATION! on that note i went downstairs to exit and hit the streets to avoid the clubs and some guy rubbed himself against me-if you know what I mean. I jacked him and ended up getting thrown off the island and had to have a conversation with the police. The whole GD thing has gotten a little out of hand. I have nothing against gay people but the drag stuff can be a little much for the MK and the kids to see-way too much PDA."

Well, my comment to that is please don't associate that with GayDay. I've been going to PI year round since I started working at WDW 1998 and whenever you mix alcohol with adults, situations can happen. Gay or straight, I've seen people do some really innapropiate things at PI (including having seen what you wittnessed at Mannaquins on many other non GayDay occasions). My girlfriends and I have stopped counting the amount of times a drunk guy has tried to grab one of us because he thought he was "funny or cool."

Upvote 0

mwitkus

I have a different perspective than most when it comes to the Gay community because my father is gay. That said, I will say this:

1. You may wish to use this opportunity to teach your children tolerance of others. People are people and it shouldn't matter what their sexual orientation is, who they pray to, what language they speak, etc.

2. If you are concerned about the PDA's during Gay Day, think about how you would feel if those same PDA's happened between a straight couple. Would it still be an issue for you, or is only because it's something that you aren't familiar with?

3. A lot of gay and lesbian couples are parents. Chances are good that they may be bringing their children along with them and would be just as concerned as the straight parents that the atmosphere be child friendly. We are after all, talking about WDW.

I do feel that everyone has the right to protect themselves and their children from anything that makes them uncomfortable. However, I would hope that they would take a moment to look at the situation and consider a different perspective.

Whatever your decision, I hope that your trip to Disney is an enjoyable one.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Originally posted by mwitkus
I have a different perspective than most when it comes to the Gay community because my father is gay. That said, I will say this:

1. You may wish to use this opportunity to teach your children tolerance of others. People are people and it shouldn't matter what their sexual orientation is, who they pray to, what language they speak, etc.

2. If you are concerned about the PDA's during Gay Day, think about how you would feel if those same PDA's happened between a straight couple. Would it still be an issue for you, or is only because it's something that you aren't familiar with?

3. A lot of gay and lesbian couples are parents. Chances are good that they may be bringing their children along with them and would be just as concerned as the straight parents that the atmosphere be child friendly. We are after all, talking about WDW.

I do feel that everyone has the right to protect themselves and their children from anything that makes them uncomfortable. However, I would hope that they would take a moment to look at the situation and consider a different perspective.

Whatever your decision, I hope that your trip to Disney is an enjoyable one.

I want to thank you for a very well thought out and well presented post.

These should be things that we think of every day, not just at GayDays. Don't judge people for their differences, look for the similarities. We're all people, we're all enjoying Disney World. What other common ground do we share?

Upvote 0

WDWspider

These should be things that we think of every day, not just at GayDays. Don't judge people for their differences, look for the similarities. We're all people, we're all enjoying Disney World. What other common ground do we share?

If that is the case, then why designate "days"? Obviously that time of year has become an unofficial time to meet at Disney World, and the Red Shirt deal does cause a stand out. I agree we should all be on common ground, but the loosely coined "gay days" do not promote a welcome atmosphere for everyone because it is organized and planned for a specific sexuality. As far as Disney goes, they are trying not to segregate by not calling that time of year anything any different from any other time, but the sad fact is that those few days are different from standard days although I know gay people travel to Disney throughout the year. All I'm saying is do we find it necessary to have a time of each year just for one race, culture, or sexuality? I think we should just be a mixed lot going to Disney throughout the year.

Upvote 0

SheriRDH

I have no problems with being at Gay Days for Disney. I think it would be great for my kids (3 and 10) to see first hand that are all types of families and all types of love! My only concern is that I don't want them to see too much love of any sort no matter what the couples make-up. I get so many mixed reports about this- my "Christian Conservative" friends have tons of horror stories to tell me. I find all this hard to believe because some of the raunchiest stuff I have seen here in New Orleans is from the straight folks...so what can I expect? I have NO desire to change my vacation time because of a bunch of bigots, but is there any thing I need to talk to my kids about? :D

Upvote 0

mwitkus

Thanks for your thanks! It's obviously a subject that is close to my heart. I just hope it does some good.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by SheriRDH
I find all this hard to believe because some of the raunchiest stuff I have seen here in New Orleans is from the straight folks...so what can I expect?

LOL--Yeah--I'm sure those girls on Bourbon ST -- "Give me cheap beads and I'll show you my ____" were mostly hetero.

Originally posted by SheriRDH
I have NO desire to change my vacation time because of a bunch of bigots, but is there any thing I need to talk to my kids about? :D

Seriously, unless there is a couple in front of you in line for Splash Mt. doing the tongue-down-the-throat thing, they may not even notice.

You 10 year old may notice the people outside the gates with the "God Hates Gays" signs. I suspect that may be more upsetting and cause more questions.

You probably should think about what you will say if they ask questions. And remember the rule: Only answer the question they ask.

Upvote 0

Mr. Toad

I had completely forgotten about GayDay when my mom made our reservations for June. Oh well, our only concern is the crowds but we have decided to avoid MK on that Saturday.

Is it usually just that Saturday that is really crowded or will it be the whole week?

Upvote 0

wdwcp98

I just want to point out in response to spider-man's post regarding designated days at the MK --that there are always groups of people who congregate at WDW. Year round there are large groups who come to enjoy what the resort has to offer. One example that comes to mind is the Brazillian tour groups which visit us every summer. They are a large, usually loud group of people (wearing all one color tee shirt) that descend on the parks annually. I think its just that most other groups don't receive this much attention. There is always a mix of folks visiting WDW, even during GayDays. And in terms of the crowdedness of the parks, the MK is the most crowded because not only do people come down for the event, but many of Disney's cast members make an effort to go to the MK that day and participate in GayDays

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom