Avoiding Gay Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Anybody know the dates for "Gay Days" next year for WDW? My family and I are traveling down and we want to avoid this as much as possible since we have a eight year old boy and a four year girl traveling with the group. We want to avoid the big summer rush so we are going the beginning of June to avoid those late June school releases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bailey5697

Originally posted by RPMdfw

. We're not evil people, we just want to see Mickey, too.

:lol: I agree with what someone else said, I wish there were specific days for "Pushy Stroller/Wheelchair People" or "I'm going to sit in front of your four year old, just 5 minutes before the parade starts - PEOPLE" or how about one person standing in front of you on a line, then suddenly 15 people join him just before you are to get on?
They could be called "Rude Days."
These are the days I want to know about and avoid! LOL :lol:

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

Originally posted by GaryT977
I've been to GayDay every year for the last seven years, and I was only embarrassed by our behavior one time. This was three or four years ago, and it seemed like a vocal group of idiots (not a large group, but a very LOUD group) were just out of control.

Basically, they just pretended they were the only ones in the park, and behaved that way. Obnoxious, rude and vulgar just begin to cover it. I told myself that was the last time I was going to go to GayDay and be embarrassed like that.

Fortunately, what came out of that was a major emphasis on behavior, and how people come into a situation like that with pre-concieved ideas about gay people, and acting like a bunch of out-of-control jacka.s.s.es only reinforces those ideas.

I've been every year since, and have thoroughly enjoyed myself. The lesson seems to have been learned. If you decide to go, just keep in mind that Saturday, June 7th, is THE big day, and the Magic Kingdom is usually full to capacity. The rest of the'official' days are more of a suggestion than anything else, and the crowds aren't noticeably bigger.

Hope this helps!

Yet another well written and informative post in this thread about a touchy subject!

BTW, nice to see you posting again Gary. Been to the Comedy Warehouse lately?;)

Upvote 0

homer424

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Where, O Where is the website and offcial weekend information for
Non-English Speaking Line Jumpers
Cheerleader Competitions
People who insist their crying child will be "just fine" in Alien Encounter?

I'd really prefer to avoid those groups if I could.............

I would love to find this too, I always seem to be down there at the same time they are...LOL

ps-I went to "Gay Day" with my mom one year and honestly you would never know it. Everyone gave you some really good advice though!

Upvote 0

Fireman7

I think the only problem with Gay Days is that it is SUPER CROWDED on the day that it is held at the Magic Kingdom. Other than that there is nothing to worry about.

Funny story about Gay Day two years ago. I had never heard of this event and my girlfriend's and I first visit to WDW together occured during the Gay Day weekend. Well we were walking to the turnstiles, pre 9/11 so there weren't any security checks, and I was noticing A LOT of people wearing red shirts. Well I finally was able to read the back of one of the shirts and it was a Gay Day shirt that were made up for all those that participated. The funny thing about it was that I had the exact same color red polo shirt on. :D And I guess if you didn't buy one of the "Gay Day" shirts then you should just wear a similar color red. I was a little uncomfortable at first and clung on to my girlfriend pretty tight but after a while it was just like another day.

The majority of the people there were very nice. We started to talk to a few couples and they were not there to promote gay rights or anything, some of them may I don't know, but they just wanted to enjoy a day in WDW where they didn't feel judged and felt free to enjoy their visit. There were a handful of guys that were a little over the top and acted a bit obnoxious with a lot, I mean A LOT, of PDA's. But the rest were just happy to be there, just like every other person that walks through those gates. So don't worry about it and enjoy your visit. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

TravisMT81

here is that discussion on gayday.com

Hi, My husband and I are going to Disney World, The happiest place on earth, during Gayday 2003. We have three young girls. At Gayday are people openly sexually affectionate in public, or are they modest? We are straight, and have no problem sharing the park with homosexuals. We do however wish to avoid gay or straight make out sessions, and public fondling. We believe outward affection should be limited to hand holding and a quick quick kiss. Are we going to be disappointed? The only reason I ask is....Once we went to the tip of Cape Cod (can't remember the name of the town). We read it was a " Popular hang out for Gays." No big deal, we thought.....Yikes! We saw some scary stuff. Men in thongs groping one another, and people having heavy petting sessions in public. We would have been just as grossed out if they would have been straight people! Please tell me Gayday is a family friendly day. Please , tell me we won't regret our choice to visit during Gayday....My husband said, " Honey, what difference does it make if gay people are in the park or straight people ?." I hope he is right....??? I want to believe he is. Thanks, Tiny
dswallow
Administrator

US
330 Posts Posted - 18 February 2003 : 07:43:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tiny, Gay Day is family friendly. That said, there's always someone somewhere doing something inappropriate for where they are, but definately nothing so extreme in the Disney parks that you're going to have a problem.

I think the way you described "the tip of Cape Cod" I'd have read it more like "make-out point". Gay or straight, there's places like that! :)

--Doug.

tiny
Starting Member

US
4 Posts Posted - 19 February 2003 : 01:25:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks...we are going to go! I read a few other discussions, and was appalled with how rude some of my fellow Christian brothers were! I'm sorry some have shown you such hate! That is not what Jesus is about. God is love, and in Him there is no hate at all! Disneyworld here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cudlecub

US
79 Posts Posted - 21 February 2003 : 13:45:09
I hope and doubt you'll be dissappointed with your Disney vacation. I do not agree with public affection, but in the park with the teeny boopers all over their young stallions, I will on occasion give my lover a peck on the lips to see if that will cool the breeders off.

Les

Elphaba99
Advanced Member

US
220 Posts Posted - 22 February 2003 : 04:38:33
Tiny,
Be sure to book a character meal on the big day at Magic Kingdom.

Reason being, there are fewer children in attendance, for the reasons we all know, and the breakfast I enjoyed at the Crystal Palace had very few attendees.

Some people I knew were even trying to book a breakfast with our group..all the way up until GayDay Saturday, to no avail. They were told it was totally booked up all morning.

Reality... Drinking adults aren't always so keen to participate in 7AM breakfasts. So yes, technically they were booked. But really, I would say 50% or more were no shows.

The 6 or 7 children in the entire restaurant got 120% quality time with Pooh and Friends.

So I gues I'm trying to tell you that your kids may actually benefit from having a mostly adult 'convention' around them. It frees up alot of children's activities that won't be overbooked or crowded.

Just a hint.

tonygowell@yahoo.com
4 year GayDay veteran
ADC TN-003 MC5 US2002023699

woodwindmusic
Average Member

US
34 Posts Posted - 22 February 2003 : 23:17:43
I really doubt that the behavior of the vast majority of people would present any problems for you. Just as I doubt the behavior of the vast majority of people would present any problems for you on any other day.

However, that being said, I have an alternative for you. I am assuming that you will be staying over several days and not just be visiting June 7. If this is the case, you could visit a park other than the Magic Kingdom on June 7, like Animal Kingdom or Epcot and visit the Magic Kingdom on another day. Besides peace of mind, you'd probably also avoid long lines, considering the crowd that's anticipated to be in the Magic Kingdom on June 7.

Personally, I think it would be great for your daughters to attend the Magic Kingdom on June 7. Being witness to affection is great. Hand holding, an arm across a shoulder, hugging, and a kiss between anyone is welcome in my book. If more people were doing that instead of participating in hate, violence, and aggression, everyone's life would be a bit easier. Ok, I've gotten off my soapbox now.

Hope you have a blast during your vacation. If you see me, say hello. I always have a smile and a wave for everyone

Douglas

tiny
Starting Member

US
4 Posts Posted - 23 February 2003 : 15:35:30
I appreciate all the advise we've received. We can't wait to see the Mouse! xoxo Tiny
bzzzzz

US
9 Posts Posted - 01 March 2003 : 19:20:23
Hi Tiny, I just want to say I am so glad you wrote and are coming to Disney during Gay Days...It is refreshing to hear from open minded people. I am a Gay Mom,,(a "breeder" if you will--don't like that term..and I apologize for it's use on this site--even in jest I find it in offense). I am bringing my grandson this June..over and over he says.."mee maw, mee mee and Jesse are going to Disneyworld..we're gonna have some fun....see you there...debra

dmv

weaver
Starting Member

US
1 Posts Posted - 27 March 2003 : 15:02:57
I have been to to gayday the past three years and I have seen nothing inappropriate. There were some people holding hands, but no more in the gay population than in the straight population. I don't think I say anyone gay, or straight, kissing. Remember: being gay is no more (or less) about ______ and public displays of affection than being straight is. I think the wholesome atmosphere of the Magic Kingdom brings out the best in everyone.
mikebk

US
53 Posts Posted - 27 March 2003 : 16:01:10
Several members of my family met us in Orlando for Gay Day last year, including two young children. They all had a very good time, and never saw anything inappropriate. In general, I think that people are extremely aware that the Disney parks are not the place for lewd behavior. If anything, Gay Day can be a great family event. My partner and I are looking forward to the time when we have our owns kids to bring to the event. There's something affirming about seeing the extended family of gay men and lesbians gathered in one place to celebrate life. It's a wonderful experience to share with others.

Upvote 0

lamarvenoy

I went the last three years with my best friend who is gay. Last year was different... confrontational. I am married and straight and I still got messed with. I was groped(in the front) while at 8 trax by some guy and I got in a pushing match, then 2 hours later and completely sober, I saw a guy having ______ with another guy on the outer wall of the top floor of manequins, one was on a stool and the other guy sat on him-I SAW PENETRATION! on that note i went downstairs to exit and hit the streets to avoid the clubs and some guy rubbed himself against me-if you know what I mean. I jacked him and ended up getting thrown off the island and had to have a conversation with the police. The whole GD thing has gotten a little out of hand. I have nothing against gay people but the drag stuff can be a little much for the MK and the kids to see-way too much PDA.

Upvote 0

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
OK--if, for whatever reason, you choose to avoid "Gay Days" at WDW you can. There is an official date and website, so you can arrange your plans accordingly.

Where, O Where is the website and offcial weekend information for
Non-English Speaking Line Jumpers
Cheerleader Competitions
People who insist their crying child will be "just fine" in Alien Encounter?

I'd really prefer to avoid those groups if I could.............

How 'bout the people who teach bigotry to their kids by telling them that two men holding hands is wrong? Any way we can avoid them?

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

Originally posted by Merlin
How 'bout the people who teach bigotry to their kids by telling them that two men holding hands is wrong? Any way we can avoid them?
Gee, and this had been the nicest and kindest thread I've seen on a "hot" topic. Too bad......

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
(PLEASE NOTICE THE OBVIOUS HUMOR AND WITTY SARCASM IN THIS POST!!)

this year, like last year, and the year before,

I will the the Official Straightboy of Gay Day.

I'll be there wearing the straight rainbow (black on one side, white on the other, with shades of grey in the middle.. lol), alongside my gay peers.

I will support anyones right to live their life the way they choose, as long as they do the same for me

Upvote 0

TURKEY

The only thing that I can recommend is not wearing red shirts. (Is red still the color of the shirts?)

I'm straight and I'd rather work during gay days than any other time of the year (other than Christmas). 99% of the gays I had contact with were nicer than 90% of the other guests I've ever had contact with.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Originally posted by RPMdfw
First off, check out the gayday.com website discussion boards. There is quite a bit of discussion about proper behavior by participants due to the fact that children are in the parks. Here is one example

http://www.gayday.com/forum/topic.a...friendly?????????&Forum_Title=Families+&+Kids

After reading a few of these discussions, you might just change your mind or you might decide to go during the GayDays dates and just go to a different park than the one that is designated as the "official unofficical gay day" for each park.

If after considering both of these options you decide that you don't want to go, the dates for 2004 are June 1 through June 6th.

I really would advise you to not dismiss these dates simply because of Gay Days, however. We're not evil people, we just want to see Mickey, too.

I just wanted to say that I thought this was an incredibly good post, sensitive to others concerns yet informative and not inflammatory. Awesome job!!! I Would have liked to have read the discussions but also had to log in to do so. Could you post some of them?? Thanks!! Belle
P.S. I Agree with Maria and Erika!!!!;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0

GaryT977

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Yet another well written and informative post in this thread about a touchy subject!

BTW, nice to see you posting again Gary. Been to the Comedy Warehouse lately?;)

Wow! Thanks! :D

I'll be at the Comedy Warehouse each night I'm there in June. I love that place!

Upvote 0

GaryT977

Originally posted by lamarvenoy
The whole GD thing has gotten a little out of hand. I have nothing against gay people but the drag stuff can be a little much for the MK and the kids to see-way too much PDA.

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've never heard anything like that before, but I can't say I'm completely surprised. May I recommend reporting those people on the stool and the one who groped you to park security instead of jacking them? Their behavior was inappropriate, not yours, and they should have been kicked out of the park.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
I just wanted to say that I thought this was an incredibly good post, sensitive to others concerns yet informative and not inflammatory. Awesome job!!! I Would have liked to have read the discussions but also had to log in to do so. Could you post some of them?? Thanks!! Belle
P.S. I Agree with Maria and Erika!!!!;) ;) ;)

Belle,

Thank you very much for the compliments about my post and the avatar (BLUSH).

It's very difficult to post on this issue and not sound like I'm on my soapbox, so I'm not going to say much more. Anybody who follows these boards knows my thoughts on the issue, and reiterating them again won't change anyone's mind. I'm just in favor of everybody being able to enjoy the Magic of WDW, and if that means avoiding certain dates (the way I'll avoid the Night of Joy, and Cheerleading Championships) then, so be it.

I would have posted the conversation thread I had linked to earlier, but Travis beat me to it. Thanks, Travis!

I guess that's all for now. Peace, everyone . . .

Upvote 0
Maria and Erika

I play for the right side :)
Nothing better than pretty Disney fanatics.

To everyone else: Just go and have fun. Don't worry who is at the parks.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Originally posted by GaryT977
Wow! Thanks! :D

I'll be at the Comedy Warehouse each night I'm there in June. I love that place!

Hey, Gary! Are you planning on hitting the Adventurer's Club on Thursday June 5th for the later shows? Apparently that's th night most of the people I've talked to are going. Sounds like fun to me, and I'll be there!:D

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by tommyboy12099
Maria and Erika

I play for the right side :)
Nothing better than pretty Disney fanatics.

To everyone else: Just go and have fun. Don't worry who is at the parks.

LOL! Now are you single? :animwink:
...and where is the picture? hahaha j/k :animwink:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom