Avoiding crowds

epcotisbest

Original Poster
We don't have children and can travel at short notice, so we usually try to go to WDW at times when we can avoid crowds. This is usually the first few weeks in Sept., Oct., Dec., and May. Never go during summer or holidays (did once). Even then we try to go to the least crowded park of the day, usually one that had extra magic hours the day before.
Do you go out of the way to avoid crowds or do you enjoy the hustle and bustle of the more festive times of the year?

Figgy1

I would love to go in October but kids and work schedule don't allow for such. We go in June but we are gone by the time NY and NJ schools let out and the tour groups are there in full force! It's a little busy but very doable! I am looking foward to going for the hustle and bustle of holiday excitement someday!! But an over crowded day at Disney is still better than a good day at work!!

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I would love to go in October but kids and work schedule don't allow for such. We go in June but we are gone by the time NY and NJ schools let out and the tour groups are there in full force! It's a little busy but very doable! I am looking foward to going for the hustle and bustle of holiday excitement someday!! But an over crowded day at Disney is still better than a good day at work!!

Yeah, I have never had a bad day there, but we were there in 1996 in the summer, after spending some time at the Olympics in Atlanta. It was miserably hot and crowded and it was there, after a long day at the parks, that I heard about the Olympic Park bombing. Probably the worst day at Disney for us. Can't even imagine what the days following 9/11 must have been like, but don't think I would have wanted to be there then.
This past summer, during the 2012 heat wave, we went to Washington, D.C. to see the fireworks over the national mall, and while spectacular, we won't be going back that time of year...just too hot and crowded.

Figgy1

Yeah, I have never had a bad day there, but we were there in 1996 in the summer, after spending some time at the Olympics in Atlanta. It was miserably hot and crowded and it was there, after a long day at the parks, that I heard about the Olympic Park bombing. Probably the worst day at Disney for us. Can't even imagine what the days following 9/11 must have been like, but don't think I would have wanted to be there then.
This past summer, during the 2012 heat wave, we went to Washington, D.C. to see the fireworks over the national mall, and while spectacular, we won't be going back that time of year...just too hot and crowded.
A friend of mine saw the towers go down needless to say he was very upset! So he got a great deal right after 9/11 he said it was what he needed to remind him life would return to normal.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
A friend of mine saw the towers go down needless to say he was very upset! So he got a great deal right after 9/11 he said it was what he needed to remind him life would return to normal.

Did not think of it that way, but I guess escaping reality is what we do without thinking much about it. I suppose WDW would have been a nice way try to get that image out of his mind.

Alexis

We usually go around Spring. The prices are more expensive for hotels, but we prefer to go around that time because the weather isn't as hot. Although there are people, there isn't an overwhelming crowd. Summer is the worse time to go, WAY too crowded, hot and prices for hotels are fairly cheap!
I don't like alot of people at the parks, I don't enjoy waiting hours in line for a 2 minute ride.

Sloan

I seek to avoid not just the crowds, but the heat as well - fortunately, these objectives seem to be complementary. I've gone up during a January cold snap (in 2010 - nights in the 20's - and that's cold for WDW) and this was the closest to having the parks to myself that I could remember. Getting information from sites like TouringPlans can be of some assistance as well. I can hardly remember the last time I really waited much for anything. (Probably TSMM not long after it opened ...)

The only time I really 'enjoyed' it being crowded was for New Years Eve in EPCOT many years ago - a very, very significant cold front went through in the evening hours, with strong storms, followed by much cooler weather. People were literally steaming after the rain - and the party atmosphere was heightened by the shared experience of having weathered the storm together, and the need to move and dance to stay warm since everyone was soaked and it got quite cold. Sounds miserable, but it was actually quite an experience ...

C&D

We also tend to try to avoid the heat and crowds; early May (doesn't always avoid the heat) and first week(s) in December (sometimes chilly but usually crowds at acceptable levels).

dave&di

We only go during Sept specifically to avoid the crowds. I love being able to walk straight on rides and finding a seat at a restaurant! I couldn't stand waiting an hour in a line for every attraction, more can be achieved in Sept!

ThankstoMOM

We always go Early Oct, Feb, Have been there during Thanksgiving twice, it wasn't too bad. But our regular yearly trip is in early Oct. we have NEVER waited over 20 mins for ANYTHING EVER !!!!!! We use to go during spring break when I was youngier (the 80s)and I remember waiting hours for rides, Heck I remember waiting a hour for HM. Once my DW and I started visiting regularly in 2009 we usually go in early Oct, ALWAYS pick parks with EMH , never wait,and ALWAYS have a kick time.

Weather_Lady

I wonder how April will be this year, it seems a little hard to judge since the past few years I think Easter was in April, this year it's March.

Since Easter is the last day in March, I'm sure the first week in April will be jammed with families on Easter break. After that, I'd imagine the crowds would diminish until the end of the school year.

Club Cooloholic

Since Easter is the last day in March, I'm sure the first week in April will be jammed with families on Easter break. After that, I'd imagine the crowds would diminish until the end of the school year.
That's what I am hoping! To be honest I went during memorial day week before and it was not terrible

Poofiesdream

I always go when there is no crowds. Two adults that live 3 hours south. It is such a relaxing trip to get on all the rides you want and still have a half of day to play with. We enjoy the shows, parades, and just people watching with no hurry to do anything in a certain time period!

DisneyDebNJ

We don't have children and can travel at short notice, so we usually try to go to WDW at times when we can avoid crowds. This is usually the first few weeks in Sept., Oct., Dec., and May. Never go during summer or holidays (did once). Even then we try to go to the least crowded park of the day, usually one that had extra magic hours the day before.
Do you go out of the way to avoid crowds or do you enjoy the hustle and bustle of the more festive times of the year?
October-November is my absolute best time to plan a Disney vacation. Between the weather being terrific, and lower crowds during the week, I highly recommend this time of year. We have been down there just about every season (hated early summer though) and we must have gotten lucky, the crowds were really super super bad, but the weather PLUS waiting in line for ANYTHING made for a grumpy Deb! LOL Its funny, during our October-November time frame, we never encountered tour groups either ;)

popcenturylover

We are planning to go either the second week of September or the first week in December. We only have a year and a half then, we have a school schedule to follow! I like to avoid the crowds! We went this past September the last week when the food & wine festival was starting & there were several MNSSHP happening. It seemed more crowded than our previous trip at the end of June a few years before!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom