Rumor Avengers E-Ticket More Dead Than You'd Think

the_rich

Black Widow is getting the Disney+ premiere release at the same time as the theatrical release, which will certainly hurt the theatrical numbers. As they don't release Disney+ data, at most we'll be able to guess how popular it is, though if it does make a relative flop I bet piracy will be blamed. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people went to see Black Widow just to feel normal again after covid, but then again I think a lot of people are happy to leave the theatrical experience behind.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the Marvel movies, for the most part anyways, but there's a lot of Marvel content I'm paying for on Disney+ that I'm not even watching. I think the new entries in the series will be the most telling. The eternals or whatever that is. If those fail to bring in audiences then we'll know that Marvel is in decline, and if Disney starts doing the simultaneous streaming releases for those, you'll know they're starting to lose confidence as well. IF Marvel is going to maintain its level of popularity, it's going to need a lot of younger viewers to make up for those of us aging out of it.

I think in Captain Marvel, when they reveal that Nick Fury's eye was taken out by a cat, I said to myself "If they're not taking this seriously anymore, then I'm not going to either."
You know that wasn't actually a cat right?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You can apply this to Star Wars as well. They even had a movie that failed a few years back. Disney is really pushing certain brands to fatigue.

To summarize:

Disney greenlit too many Star Wars movies at once and released Solo just a few months after the Last Jedi. Solo lost money for the company.

Now Mandalorian is popular and Disney has greenlit too many Star Wars TV Shows at once and most likely history will repeat its self.

Remake fatigue has to be growing as well I'd imagine.
The remakes have been the most popular, profitable, and highest rated WDS movies compared to their "originals."

UNCgolf

People have a misconception about the MCU that every single movie has been a massive blockbuster and that's not going to continue. Thing is, that's never been true. The MCU has had a ton of movies with relatively average (for a blockbuster) box office results -- I don't think they've had any failures, but they certainly haven't churned out 20+ megahits. There were plenty of MCU films that people had no issue skipping at the theater.

That's likely how it will continue to be going forward. There were will be some gigantic hits like Black Panther, Infinity War, Endgame, etc. surrounded by a bunch of movies that do fine but aren't the biggest hits of the year.

Last edited:

No Name

People have a misconception about the MCU that every single movie has been a massive blockbuster and that's not going to continue. Thing is, that's never been true. The MCU has had a ton of movies with relatively average (for a blockbuster) box office results -- I don't think they've had any failures, but they certainly haven't churned out 20+ megahits. There were plenty of MCU films that people had no issue skipping at the theater.

That's likely how it will continue to be going forward. There were will be some gigantic hits like Black Panthers, Infinity War, Endgame, etc. surrounded by a bunch of movies that do fine but aren't the biggest hits of the year.
The Incredible Hulk was certainly a failure but point stands.

UNCgolf

The remakes have been the most popular, profitable, and highest rated WDS movies compared to their "originals."

Well that's not true, at least not across the board. Beauty and the Beast original is a 95 on metacritic; remake is 65. Lion King is at 55 for the remake and 88 for the original. Aladdin is 86 original and 53 remake. There's a similar difference in user scores (with the original scoring much higher), although any Internet user scores are hard to take seriously.

There's no doubt they've been hugely profitable, though, so I'm sure they'll keep making them. Which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Boseman’s death has no direct impact at this point. Black Panther 2 will be out before this opens.
His point was that before they put a BP based attraction into a park to exist unchanged for 20 years, they want to see if people react positively to BP2 or if they need a new story.

🤷‍♂️ Just relaying information.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Sure, but that wouldn’t impact the timeline of this project. It takes Disney 3-4 years to build rides of this scale.
Now I’m just curious because I’m not following.

Isnt story first a core Disney ride tenant? Are you saying they’d build the ride and then figure out how to theme it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well that's not true, at least not across the board. Beauty and the Beast original is a 95 on metacritic; remake is 65. Lion King is at 55 for the remake and 88 for the original. Aladdin is 86 original and 53 remake. There's a similar difference in user scores (with the original scoring much higher), although any Internet user scores are hard to take seriously.

There's no doubt they've been hugely profitable, though, so I'm sure they'll keep making them. Which is unfortunate.

Yes, there has been a few less than stellar stats, but, even with Lion King Remake, the CinemaScore was A, and the average audience rating between RT and IMDB is at 74. Not to mention the Box Office was $1.7B.

BatB's Tomatometer (Thumbs Up/Down) is 71. The 66 rating is still 'fresh'. Audience score is 73, CinemaScore is A, and the BO is $1.3B.

Not critically successful, but very popular.

UNCgolf

Yes, there has been a few less than stellar stats, but, even with Lion King Remake, the CinemaScore was A, and the average audience rating between RT and IMDB is at 74. Not to mention the Box Office was $1.7B.

BatB's Tomatometer (Thumbs Up/Down) is 71. The 66 rating is still 'fresh'. Audience score is 73, CinemaScore is A, and the BO is $1.3B.

Not critically successful, but very popular.

Oh I'm not arguing they weren't popular/successful; they were incredibly successful. I just don't think it's accurate to suggest they were more popular/highly regarded than the originals. There's not really much evidence to support that claim; most of what's out there suggests the opposite -- with the caveat I mentioned above that basically all Internet user scores are laughably bad data.

I'm not sure they were more profitable than the originals either, but that's harder to compare. Even adjusting for inflation is only a half-measure because older movies were released when the population was smaller and thus there were less potential customers, along with other more esoteric factors. If you include all the home movie sales, I imagine the originals easily beat out the remakes in overall profit, but that's not a fair comparison either since they've had a couple of decades head start (and far fewer people actually buy movies now anyways).

Of course, the remakes only exist and likely performed so well because of the popularity of the originals, so I suppose that's a point in their favor as well.

ToTBellHop

Now I’m just curious because I’m not following.

Isnt story first a core Disney ride tenant? Are you saying they’d build the ride and then figure out how to theme it?
I’m saying it is very easy to determine visuals on a screen-based attraction at a later date while beginning construction on the physical infrastructure. It won’t be directly linked to MCU films, regardless.

Tamandua

What's with all this Story crap? What are we, a buncha old ladies watching daytime soaps? Stories never mattered. Hate to break it to Imagineering. There's little to no Stories in most of the best attractions. When was the last time you boarded the Disneyland Railroad and questioned The Story? There was no such time.
The best attractions are a series of scenes and settings that would be impossible to convince a jury are some kind of story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom