Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

britain

Sure, if you ignore that four year olds can ride The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and children any younger are not really going to be able to actually participate in WEB Slingers.
Just like how younger children are not really able to participate in buzz lightyear? In Pirates of the Caribbean? In jungle Cruise? In peter pan? In mansion? small world?

Would any of those rides be better if they had a height requirement on them?

Stupido

So has there been any mention or update on the second ride that was supposed to coming? The one that claimed it would take you to the middle of a battle in Wakanda? Is this still happening?

mickEblu

I’m not into Meet n Greets or a huge Marvel fan so this land definitely is not aimed at me. Looks like I’ll only be stopping by regularly for Shawarma and a ride on a pre Chapek ride system - GOTG.

I’ll reserve final judgment until I see it in person but looks like my not so bold prediction of Avengers Campus being the second worst land in DCA was right.

Last edited:

el_super

I'll stick with the "they should be embarrassed" - because, in my opinion, it's a screen-based Spiderman ride that was done much, much better more than two decades ago by another company. Flailing your arms about while stationary most of the time, in pretty generic looking video scenes, versus the fast-paced adventure through a comic book city brought to life, with iconic villains, exciting scenes, and real effects added.

Again: It's an interactive attraction and you are not fairly reviewing the interactivity by watching a video of it.

The reason these rides work, and keep getting added to parks, is that they encourage communication and dialogue between members of a family or party in a way that is mostly lacking in the modern world. They are providing family entertainment.

Watching a video on YouTube and then complaining that the sets don't look right, the video looks cheap, the music sounds off, or that it just looks boring, missing the entire point of the attraction. You'd be better off reviewing a movie you hadn't seen.

The 5th Dimension room is when you're transitioning into the Twilight Zone as opposed to just observing it in the other scenes. Then boom, you're in the new Twilight Zone elevator shaft. In DCA's ToT, you're in the TZ while also observing it. That's a bit lazy.

Wouldn't you have to be in the Twilight Zone the entire time, in order to believe that this hotel, abandoned for years, is still powered up and playing music?

Californian Elitist

This is a stretch by all means, but I always saw Avengers Campus as harking back to some of the most renowned college campuses in California (Stanford, USC).

Though I know that's just me doing WDI's work for them.
I haven’t been to Avengers Campus yet, but as a USC alumna and someone who’s visited Stanford, based on the photos alone, Avengers Campus looks nothing like either and doesn’t seem inspired by either.

It looks more like a community college. USC/Stanford or community college, the placement of Avenger’s Campus in DCA is definitely a stretch.

The Aracuan Bird

It being an “interactive attraction” or “targeted at kids” isn’t really an excuse for the incredibly poor quality of creative direction. Where are the Spider-Man villains and characters? Where are the cool set pieces?

Why are they putting guests through a screen target practice in CG recreations of the existing land? There are no interesting set pieces, characters, story, or environments. The entire emphasis is placed on the web gimmick. That’s not strong enough to carry an entire Spider-Man attraction.

waltography

This is a stretch by all means, but I always saw Avengers Campus as harking back to some of the most renowned college campuses in California (Stanford, USC).

Though I know that's just me doing WDI's work for them.

I haven’t been to Avengers Campus yet, but as a USC alumna and someone who’s visited Stanford, based on the photos alone, Avengers Campus looks nothing like either and doesn’t seem inspired by either.

It looks more like a community college. USC/Stanford or community college, the placement of Avenger’s Campus in DCA is definitely a stretch.
Stanford alum here and can also confirm that it doesn't really look like anything on campus. If this is true, my best guess is that they were inspired by our Art History building and mixed it with our engineering quad (but that's a huge stretch imo).

Stanford_hero.jpg,1600
Jen-Hsun-Huang-Engineering-Stanford-4-1.jpg

CaptinEO

It being an “interactive attraction” or “targeted at kids” isn’t really an excuse for the incredibly poor quality of creative direction. Where are the Spider-Man villains and characters? Where are the cool set pieces?

Why are they putting guests through a screen target practice in CG recreations of the existing land? There are no interesting set pieces, characters, story, or environments. The entire emphasis is placed on the web gimmick. That’s not strong enough to carry an entire Spider-Man attraction.
I was secretly holding out hope that the training would be interrupted and youd have to actually fight the many cool spider man villians.

CaptinEO

Again: It's an interactive attraction and you are not fairly reviewing the interactivity by watching a video of it.

The reason these rides work, and keep getting added to parks, is that they encourage communication and dialogue between members of a family or party in a way that is mostly lacking in the modern world. They are providing family entertainment.

Watching a video on YouTube and then complaining that the sets don't look right, the video looks cheap, the music sounds off, or that it just looks boring, missing the entire point of the attraction. You'd be better off reviewing a movie you hadn't seen.

Wouldn't you have to be in the Twilight Zone the entire time, in order to believe that this hotel, abandoned for years, is still powered up and playing music?
I agree. I don't ever watch ride throughs (but I will read people's reviews of them), as I want the first experience to be my own, and not someone's camera footage.

I won't see Web Slingerz until I go in person (already went twice this year, probably wont be until sometime in 2022).

The same goes for people who judge a video game based on watching them, they are interactive experiences.

el_super

Silly me to expect premium quality from the company that is allegedly “the best in the business”. Should’ve lowered my expectations to “just adequate”.

Your definition of 'premium quality' is just highly subjective, and not aligned at all with the goals of the attraction. It would be akin to giving Pirates of the Caribbean a negative review because it doesn't have any dinosaurs on it. The expectation that there be dinosaurs would be something you completely made up in your head.

CaptinEO

Your definition of 'premium quality' is just highly subjective, and not aligned at all with the goals of the attraction. It would be akin to giving Pirates of the Caribbean a negative review because it doesn't have any dinosaurs on it. The expectation that there be dinosaurs would be something you completely made up in your head.
Why are you upset that people expect more?

No one disagrees that the crappy ride has achieved its goal of being a crappy ride.

People are upset Disney isn't holding themselves to a higher standard and has lowered the bar drastically.

Californian Elitist

Totally valid, everyone is different.

I just don't like people saying this is imagineering's best, we all know there is a lot of room for improvement, as with anything.

I'm not even an avengers fan and I think the Avengers deserve so much better and more than this.
Can’t disagree with any of this.
Stanford alum here and can also confirm that it doesn't really look like anything on campus. If this is true, my best guess is that they were inspired by our Art History building and mixed it with our engineering quad (but that's a huge stretch imo).

Stanford_hero.jpg,1600
Jen-Hsun-Huang-Engineering-Stanford-4-1.jpg
Glad we have alumni here from both schools to speak on this. Stanford’s campus is stunning.

LOL at possibly taking inspiration from one building on campus. And based on the photo you provided, it doesn’t even look like that. If they really were trying to take inspiration from USC and Stanford, they did a terrible job.

CaptinEO

Hate to being up Potter again, but the Box Office of Avengers dwarfs that series completely. It's a franchise with over 30 films that were all massively successful.

Disney was once the leader in themed entertainment and has more capital than any other theme park company.

This is the best we can do? A 2008 Universal Studios Land still trumps this. I don't even care much for the Harry Potter movies, but someone would have to be blind to not realize how much of a let down this is.

I assumed the post potter years of themeparks would have Disney bring out their A game. Seems like they gave up.

DanielBB8

Perhaps, but there's no indication that it happened. In a paranormal event, there's a lot of electricity happening about. You get that in the boiler room. Then once on the elevator that powered by the paranormal, the scenes play out to where the people disappeared in a snap. You need to have that. You need some indication that what happened occurred.

Add either scene in DCA's ToT or both.
1. In a darkened elevator loading area, a starfield suddenly appeared with music that clearly indicates you're going into the Twilight Zone. Extend it an extra 10 to 15 seconds.
2. After second scene after the guests disappear, you get sudden lightning and shaking effects. This was sort of promised in the new version. There was some shaking effect, but it was too subtle to notice. They should integrate the second scene right into the elevator car.

This is all too late now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom