Avengers Campus: Food, Entertainment, M&G, Environment Updates

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Love and Thunder had the best opening weekend of any Thor movie, but was only 9th overall on MCU opening weekends replacing Ragnarok.

The real question is what the decline will be next weekend and whether it was good enough for repeat views or good word of mouth brining in folks who were on the fence.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm mostly just looking at the comments on Marvel fanpages. They've gone from being 24/7 praise to about split down the middle on the MCU. But even looking at box office and critic reviews, Thor's pretty mixed, and obviously Etenerals and Black Widow were both failures. What were the ratings for Ms. Marvel? because I heard somewhere they were low but I never bothered to verify that.

1657829055390.png

The Tomatometer is a thumbs up/down metric, so, I personally don't go too much by that. A movie can get 100% positive reviews, but rated only moderately good.

Normalized for 100%, the critics' rating is 82 and audience also at 82. Which is very good.

1657829095190.png

78 is very good for metacritic. Its scores can be much lower than RT's critics' scores.

The IMDB audience rating is only moderately good...
1657829297181.png

However, that was the audience's rating of the entire series. Individual episodes got a higher rating...
1657829602883.png

The Nielsen streaming tracker is a month behind publicization, so, we only know the first week's 'minutes streamed' for Episode 1, which, compared to other Marvel series is low. However, it was up against Obi-Wan and other streaming juggernauts. We'll see in a month the actual minutes for Ms. Marvel. However, other trackers say that those who did watch were disproportionately youth and POC, which was indeed the target audience.

No Name

Just in relation in the topic of Marvel, was Ms. Marvel a flop? Apparently it just ended and I have no idea what happened in it. For comparison I didn’t watch Moon Knight, but I at least heard some buzz around it. Also seems Thor is being hammered (no pun intended) by audience goers (I know somebody will bring up box office and RT score as if that matters so let me just say it doesn’t). I guess the bigger question is Marvel on the decline? Black Widow, Eternals, and Shang Chi were all quickly forgotten, and Multiverse of Madness and Thor 4: More Thor both seem to have been disappointments for the fans. I don’t know, just seems like Marvel is losing some steam. I’m sure Fantastic Four will pick it back up, but it’s interesting to see.
The movie isn’t their best work but the opening weekend box office was the highest of any of the Thor films. I don’t think there’s much to suggest Marvel is in a decline (it was never going to continue to be as big as Infinity War/Endgame), they just have the audience and resources to spread themselves thinner and target different demographics, which Ms. Marvel is a good example of.

Thor Four: More Thor is a far better title than Love and Thunder.

obviously Etenerals and Black Widow were both failures.
Can’t argue Eternals but Black Widow was not a failure, it performed relatively well critically and financially for a movie in summer ‘21.

Last edited:

No Name

View attachment 653201
The Tomatometer is a thumbs up/down metric, so, I personally don't go too much by that. A movie can get 100% positive reviews, but rated only moderately good.

Normalized for 100%, the critics' rating is 82 and audience also at 82. Which is very good.

View attachment 653202
78 is very good for metacritic. Its scores can be much lower than RT's critics' scores.

The IMDB audience rating is only moderately good...
View attachment 653203
However, that was the audience's rating of the entire series. Individual episodes got a higher rating...
View attachment 653207

The Nielsen streaming tracker is a month behind publicization, so, we only know the first week's 'minutes streamed' for Episode 1, which, compared to other Marvel series is low. However, it was up against Obi-Wan and other streaming juggernauts. We'll see in a month the actual minutes for Ms. Marvel. However, other trackers say that those who did watch were disproportionately youth and POC, which was indeed the target audience.
Take the audience rating with the smallest grain of salt. It got heavily review-bombed by bigoted people.

eddie104

Take the audience rating with the smallest grain of salt. It got heavily review-bombed by bigoted people.
No one wants to talk about why some of these recent Marvel projects won’t get the same support as their earlier counterparts.

Anti SJW culture is still alive and well so that means people will shi** on anything that includes a modicum of diversity and not have the stereotypical archetypes for some of these characters.

Not saying these new iterations wouldn’t be successful just that they would face a lot of unnecessary backlash first before they get support.

No Name

No one wants to talk about why some of these recent Marvel projects won’t get the same support as their earlier counterparts.

Anti SJW culture is still alive and well so that means people will shi** on anything that includes a modicum of diversity and not have the stereotypical archetypes for some of these characters.

Not saying these new iterations wouldn’t be successful just that they would face a lot of unnecessary backlash first before they get support.
This is important to acknowledge but I obviously don’t think it should stop them from moving forward with anything. Captain Marvel and Black Panther both made boatloads of money so it can pay off.

Ms. Marvel has probably drawn the most ire, she’s a Muslim Pakistani female who looks up to Captain Marvel in a culturally heavy show, which fills plenty of spaces on bigot bingo. Heck, a moderator on here deleted comments supporting the casting for the show and the park. I don’t think something like Sam Wilson in Cap 4 will draw the same reaction, but who knows.

truecoat

This is important to acknowledge but I obviously don’t think it should stop them from moving forward with anything. Captain Marvel and Black Panther both made boatloads of money so it can pay off.

Ms. Marvel has probably drawn the most ire, she’s a Muslim Pakistani female who looks up to Captain Marvel in a culturally heavy show, which fills plenty of spaces on bigot bingo. Heck, a moderator on here deleted comments supporting the casting for the show and the park. I don’t think something like Sam Wilson in Cap 4 will draw the same reaction, but who knows.

As an old white guy, Ms. Marvel is one of my favorite Marvel shows. Capt Marvel was one of my least favorite movies.

MarvelCharacterNerd

As an old white guy, Ms. Marvel is one of my favorite Marvel shows. Capt Marvel was one of my least favorite movies.
Same. Which is why I was so shocked to recently find myself really looking forward to The Marvels thanks to Kamala and Monica (2 out of 3 ain't bad lol).

And also why I've been so frustrated that Kamala hasn't been on Campus the couple of times I've been there this summer. :(

I did get to meet Mighty Thor though this past weekend. She was great. But Thor was hilarious, cradling Mjolnir like a baby every time she'd let him carry it. :D

Amazingly, Wanda and America Chavez were still around, too. I can only hope they keep Kamala a while longer, too, so I have another shot at meeting her when I go next!

No Name

Same. Which is why I was so shocked to recently find myself really looking forward to The Marvels thanks to Kamala and Monica (2 out of 3 ain't bad lol).

And also why I've been so frustrated that Kamala hasn't been on Campus the couple of times I've been there this summer. :(

I did get to meet Mighty Thor though this past weekend. She was great. But Thor was hilarious, cradling Mjolnir like a baby every time she'd let him carry it. :D

Amazingly, Wanda and America Chavez were still around, too. I can only hope they keep Kamala a while longer, too, so I have another shot at meeting her when I go next!
Everything they’ve done with Captain Marvel outside of the 2019 film just doesn’t land well, in my opinion (and I’m not saying the film landed well either). They kind of jumped the gun on assuming people would be in love with the character without actually giving people anything to fall in love with. And, instead of a likeable personality, they really fell back on the strength of her powers. That’s all to say I’m hoping The Marvels gives her a huge personality change similar in extent to what they did for Thor.

truecoat

Everything they’ve done with Captain Marvel outside of the 2019 film just doesn’t land well, in my opinion (and I’m not saying the film landed well either). They kind of jumped the gun on assuming people would be in love with the character without actually giving people anything to fall in love with. And, instead of a likeable personality, they really fell back on the strength of her powers. That’s all to say I’m hoping The Marvels gives her a huge personality change similar in extent to what they did for Thor.

I had seen several movies with Brie Larson prior to CM including the movie Room for which she deservingly won the Oscar. Capt Marvel was a movie I had high hopes for but her performance in the movie was sometimes shruggy or smirky. She would just shrug and smirk in scenes and there was no real tension or drama at all. It was like she was channeling Jim from the Office for her performance.

The Office Idk GIF

MarvelCharacterNerd

Ah, interesting. M'Baku maybe? I'd had an inkling of a BP character coming to Campus but was hoping for Shuri.

Still waiting for previously auditioned Wong to show up on Campus. So far the only thing I've seen mentioned thus far for She-Hulk is a bench:

Phroobar

She-Hulk got an average rating of 3.3/10 by males on IMDb… before the first episode even came out.

It’s rediculous on so many levels. Having actually watched the first episode, I can tell you it’s pretty good.
I watched the first episode. It was just okay. The CG Hulk really didn't look right in a lot of scenes. I'm not a fan of the 4th wall break. It feels like Ally McBeal if she was a Hulk.

No Name

I watched the first episode. It was just okay. The CG Hulk really didn't look right in a lot of scenes. I'm not a fan of the 4th wall break. It feels like Ally McBeal if she was a Hulk.
I get that and those are valid reasons to dislike it (though I don’t know who Ally McBeal is). But I often like four wall breaks. From Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to Deadpool, I’m a three-wall kind of guy. At some points it did feel like watching a video game cutscene though…. but I often like video game cutscenes.

MarvelCharacterNerd

It feels like Ally McBeal if she was a Hulk.
Thank you for perfectly defining why this show does not appeal to me. #nailedit

Also, folks, here's the thread to discuss the show just so others can avoid any discussion if they wish:

Meanwhile, back on topic - I was kind of hoping for a She-Hulk stunt show on Campus but at this point I'll settle for just a new character showing up. Still expecting Wong since he's probably easier to cast than "female body builder willing to be painted green". :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom