Avengers 4!

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No

In high def!

Princess Leia

So I had lunch with a friend today, and we came up with MCU rankings, as we talked about our excitement over Endgame. This was my list (the movies aren’t ranked in the individual categories, it’s just how I write them):

• The Avengers
  • Infinity War
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Black Panther
  • Iron Man
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Captain America: the Winter Soldier
Middle
  • Ant-Man
  • Ant-Man & the Wasp
  • Captain America: the First Avenger
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Captain Marvel
  • GotG Vol. 2
  • Iron Man 3
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Thor
Bottom (just because they’re in the bottom tier does not mean I think they’re bad- they’re better than Justice League & Suicide Squad, but they’re not as good as the other MCU films, IMO)
  • Iron Man 2
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Thor: the Dark World
  • Doctor Strange
  • Age of Ultron
Endgame has very big shoes to fill here. It’s the final chapter of a very long epic (the sequel to it begins with the new Spider-Man). And how it ends will probably shape our overall viewing of the series as a whole. Four examples:
  1. Harry Potter (book series): after 10 years and a lot of hype, Deathly Hallows was seen as a worthy end to the series. It offered a lot of closure for characters, and the characters had to work for and earn their happy endings- if they got one. War did not come without sacrifice, but we saw our heroes defeat evil and live to tell the tale. How does Endgame accomplish something similar? By letting the characters act in ways we have seen them act before. No moments that feel out of character. Tony Stark and Steve Rogers are both like Harry Potter- we have seen them sacrifice themselves for others.
  2. The Hunger Games (book series, and film series, because both endings were disappointing): This... this was not a good ending. We got more of the ‘War is hell’ mentality from the first two books, but the third book didn’t fit the tone of the first two. There were things I liked about it, but I know a lot of fans were disappointed by the ending. How does Endgame avoid this? It can start by repeating what we saw in Infinity War- the deaths all had meaning. It had been years and I still hate how Finnick was dispatched in like one sentence.
  3. Star Wars, original trilogy: I’m not here to bash Return of the Jedi, I like that movie. However, Empire Strikes Back was so great, that RotJ didn’t really stand a chance. There are a lot of good moments in that movie, but it just never reached the same highs as Empire. Honestly, this is what I’m a little worried about for Endgame. We’re going to see a time jump with the characters post snap (like the rebels post Cloud City). The characters will all be spread out again (if the Thor/Carol rumors are true). Possibly a gangster character.
  4. Game of Thrones (tv series, since the books are still being written): I know the last season hasn’t started yet, but the show and Endgame are in the same predicament. They both need to finish a story. They’ve both changed things from the source material, which makes some fans angry and some happy. And they’re both ending around the same time. And I am very curious to see how they compare to each other. GoT, I’m honestly guessing it will get the Mockingjay treatment- some fans are going to be very upset, but it fits the material. Endgame is probably going to be more like Harry Potter or Star Wars OT.

Mike S

So I had lunch with a friend today, and we came up with MCU rankings, as we talked about our excitement over Endgame. This was my list (the movies aren’t ranked in the individual categories, it’s just how I write them):

• The Avengers
  • Infinity War
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Black Panther
  • Iron Man
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Captain America: the Winter Soldier
Middle
  • Ant-Man
  • Ant-Man & the Wasp
  • Captain America: the First Avenger
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Captain Marvel
  • GotG Vol. 2
  • Iron Man 3
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Thor
Bottom (just because they’re in the bottom tier does not mean I think they’re bad- they’re better than Justice League & Suicide Squad, but they’re not as good as the other MCU films, IMO)
  • Iron Man 2
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Thor: the Dark World
  • Doctor Strange
  • Age of Ultron
Endgame has very big shoes to fill here. It’s the final chapter of a very long epic (the sequel to it begins with the new Spider-Man). And how it ends will probably shape our overall viewing of the series as a whole. Four examples:
  1. Harry Potter (book series): after 10 years and a lot of hype, Deathly Hallows was seen as a worthy end to the series. It offered a lot of closure for characters, and the characters had to work for and earn their happy endings- if they got one. War did not come without sacrifice, but we saw our heroes defeat evil and live to tell the tale. How does Endgame accomplish something similar? By letting the characters act in ways we have seen them act before. No moments that feel out of character. Tony Stark and Steve Rogers are both like Harry Potter- we have seen them sacrifice themselves for others.
  2. The Hunger Games (book series, and film series, because both endings were disappointing): This... this was not a good ending. We got more of the ‘War is hell’ mentality from the first two books, but the third book didn’t fit the tone of the first two. There were things I liked about it, but I know a lot of fans were disappointed by the ending. How does Endgame avoid this? It can start by repeating what we saw in Infinity War- the deaths all had meaning. It had been years and I still hate how Finnick was dispatched in like one sentence.
  3. Star Wars, original trilogy: I’m not here to bash Return of the Jedi, I like that movie. However, Empire Strikes Back was so great, that RotJ didn’t really stand a chance. There are a lot of good moments in that movie, but it just never reached the same highs as Empire. Honestly, this is what I’m a little worried about for Endgame. We’re going to see a time jump with the characters post snap (like the rebels post Cloud City). The characters will all be spread out again (if the Thor/Carol rumors are true). Possibly a gangster character.
  4. Game of Thrones (tv series, since the books are still being written): I know the last season hasn’t started yet, but the show and Endgame are in the same predicament. They both need to finish a story. They’ve both changed things from the source material, which makes some fans angry and some happy. And they’re both ending around the same time. And I am very curious to see how they compare to each other. GoT, I’m honestly guessing it will get the Mockingjay treatment- some fans are going to be very upset, but it fits the material. Endgame is probably going to be more like Harry Potter or Star Wars OT.
Amazingly I only disagree with two small things here: Doctor Strange’s placement and RotJ. I’d put DS in the middle tier and the scenes with Sidius, Vader, and Luke fully makeup for RotJ’s flaws. I highly doubt Episode IX could deliver as satisfying of an ending to the Skywalker Saga.

LSLS

Amazingly I only disagree with two small things here: Doctor Strange’s placement and RotJ. I’d put DS in the middle tier and the scenes with Sidius, Vader, and Luke fully makeup for RotJ’s flaws. I highly doubt Episode IX could deliver as satisfying of an ending to the Skywalker Saga.

Lol, I disagree with a ton of Leia's rankings, but I also only have about 2-3 that I didn't really like so it's all good.

Princess Leia

Lol, I disagree with a ton of Leia's rankings, but I also only have about 2-3 that I didn't really like so it's all good.
Well I’m looking at at it as just a tier system and not necessarily everything in order of favorite to least favorite.
Mike’s right ;) With 21 movies, it’s hard to rank them from 1 to 21 now, so I just went with categories.

Also, @Mike S, I still do like RotJ; I have a freaking Ewok ornament on my tv stand that I still haven’t put away from Christmas. Wicket’s protecting my living room lol

Princess Leia

I do like the sound of Infinity Saga.

Here’s my minor criticism to the comparison to Empire- we know more than audiences did then, as to what the plot will be. Infinity War ended with all of these characters who have sequels coming out getting dusted- we know they are coming back. We don’t know how, and we don’t know at what cost, but we know they are coming back.

Princess Leia

I know that something like this won’t happen, but I would love to see a release of the comics strictly based on the Infinity Saga. Something semi-linear covering all of the stories told, nice large hardcover book... Would also be cool to see the characters drawn like the actors (final actors, sorry Ed Norton and Terrence Howard).

Mike S

I do like the sound of Infinity Saga.

Here’s my minor criticism to the comparison to Empire- we know more than audiences did then, as to what the plot will be. Infinity War ended with all of these characters who have sequels coming out getting dusted- we know they are coming back. We don’t know how, and we don’t know at what cost, but we know they are coming back.
This video calls in the Star Wars parallel even further. The Russos wanted to make a Darth Vader and damnit, they succeeded with flying colors.

There’s other videos from this same channel about Iron Man, Thor, and Peter Quill. All highly recommended if you have the time.

As an aside, what’s explained in this video is part of why I feel Infinity War got criminally snubbed at the Oscars. It deserved a Best Picture nod.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If this all means something then Kevin Feige truly is a madman 🤣

He should ask "what does this mean?" a few more dozen times.

Anyhoo... left arm takes damage so right handed actor can do stuff with right hand.

Left arm going numb = joke about a heart attack.

That is all.

MouseMelly

This video calls in the Star Wars parallel even further. The Russos wanted to make a Darth Vader and damnit, they succeeded with flying colors.

There’s other videos from this same channel about Iron Man, Thor, and Peter Quill. All highly recommended if you have the time.

As an aside, what’s explained in this video is part of why I feel Infinity War got criminally snubbed at the Oscars. It deserved a Best Picture nod.

That is a great video. I’ve always wondered why I didn’t “hate” Thanos like I felt like I should. Made me scared I was evil or something. But this video explains the dilemma quite well.

Princess Leia

The more I think about it, the more I feel like a huge misdirect is going to happen, especially early in the film.

Remember last year? While we all knew that the snap was probably going to happen, I don’t think any of us expected both Steve and Tony to make it out alive, but see 5/6 Guardians, T’Challa, and Peter freaking Parker get dusted.

The glove isn’t damaged- it only looks like it. Thanos was able to use it to leave Wakanda after the snap. So it is still VERY operational. Something bad is going to happen before the time jump. If the team has essentially given up for 4 years... We’re probably going to see another death.

Edit- or it could be torture. Thanos seems okay with torture via the Infinity stones. He put the Power stone against Thor’s head, and used the Power & Space Stones on Nebula. The only one we haven’t seen him use on its own is the Mind Stone... which doesn’t bode well for Carol, given her history in the comics (I really do not want anything bad to happen to her in this movie, but look what happened to T’Challa in Infinity War).

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Anyways I’m watching Infinity War again, and here’s what I don’t want: Natasha/Bruce to be revisited.

No.

Look, I’m okay with Natasha/Clint being a thing in the years post-snap, or even Natasha/Steve (people do crazy things when they’re grieving). But I do not want Natasha/Bruce again. Worst chemistry out of all of them.

Mike S

Anyways I’m watching Infinity War again, and here’s what I don’t want: Natasha/Bruce to be revisited.

No.

Look, I’m okay with Natasha/Clint being a thing in the years post-snap, or even Natasha/Steve (people do crazy things when they’re grieving). But I do not want Natasha/Bruce again. Worst chemistry out of all of them.
I just got done with Captain America. I’m rewatching all the movies again with my brother before Endgame. Tomorrow is Avengers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom