Avatar - This is what I'm saying

PorterRedkey

Great attractions will maintain their popularity even if the IP they are based on them don't.

Even if the attractions fail, which I don't think they will, Avatarland is not something you can just replace. It will be the 'beastly kingdom' area of the park likely for decades to come. Disney is betting that Avatar, the highest grossing movie ever - with one of the most successful directors of all time and 4 sequels coming, will continue to permeate pop culture making this land even more relevant.

MereMickey

Even if the attractions fail, which I don't think they will, Avatarland is not something you can just replace. It will be the 'beastly kingdom' area of the park likely for decades to come. Disney is betting that Avatar, the highest grossing movie ever - with one of the most successful directors of all time and 4 sequels coming, will continue to permeate pop culture making this land even more relevant.
That intrigues me. I almost feel like Disney is banking on Avatar more in comparison to Star Wars and that expansion. Granted, Star Wars pretty much has a hardcore fanbase that will love any and everything. Like, I mentioned this will be very interesting to see how it plays out in terms of appeal to the guests and how the movies pan out in the scheme of the battle of the box office that will be on going over the next 5-7 years. Either way Disney comes out on top. Not a bad thing for them at all.

MereMickey

Welcome to the boards, I thought some snark was an appropriate welcome, some members can be tough. However, I believe that everyone's opinions are welcome here, well almost everyone's, just not the trolls.:)

Hey, thanks! Haha. I love a little snark with my coffee in the morning so I will fit in perfect. Yeah, I love a good debate as well. It's great hanging with other people who love talking Disney. Sometimes I get the "Oh, you're going to talk about Disney again?" look from those that aren't big fans like I am. I am pretty good at smacking down the trolls when they appear. Got troll fly swatter ready to go.

PorterRedkey

Hey, thanks! Haha. I love a little snark with my coffee in the morning so I will fit in perfect. Yeah, I love a good debate as well. It's great hanging with other people who love talking Disney. Sometimes I get the "Oh, you're going to talk about Disney again?" look from those that aren't big fans like I am. I am pretty good at smacking down the trolls when they appear. Got troll fly swatter ready to go.

Glad to have another passionate fan on the boards.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That intrigues me. I almost feel like Disney is banking on Avatar more in comparison to Star Wars and that expansion. Granted, Star Wars pretty much has a hardcore fanbase that will love any and everything. Like, I mentioned this will be very interesting to see how it plays out in terms of appeal to the guests and how the movies pan out in the scheme of the battle of the box office that will be on going over the next 5-7 years. Either way Disney comes out on top. Not a bad thing for them at all.

I don't see that at all. There isn't a Avatar fireworks show, or Avatar launch bay, or a Seasons of Avatar promotion.

TyTrap

I can't imagine this expansion having staying power. Tops how many years will it be around before it is replaced? Maybe 10? This definitely will not have the impact say a Star Wars expansion will have and be around for decades. I am so confused by this expansion because the fandom just isn't there as the OP wisely points out. People for years speculated about the Star Wars franchise getting rebooted because it was so loved. Avatar is a visually beautiful movie with a very weak storyline.
I think you're missing the point, not everything is about brand recognition and popularity. It's about the type of experience you can create in a theme park environment.

WDWLover#1

I can't imagine this expansion having staying power. Tops how many years will it be around before it is replaced? Maybe 10? This definitely will not have the impact say a Star Wars expansion will have and be around for decades. I am so confused by this expansion because the fandom just isn't there as the OP wisely points out. People for years speculated about the Star Wars franchise getting rebooted because it was so loved. Avatar is a visually beautiful movie with a very weak storyline.
I just think that James Cameron and Joe Rohde are working on this. So.....

It is going to be amazing. And being amazing or not will determine whether it turns out to be successful.

rioriz

I think you're missing the point, not everything is about brand recognition and popularity. It's about the type of experience you can create in a theme park environment.

I think he see the post but is choosing to not acknowledge it...

MereMickey

Not to sound argumentative, but I am not missing the point. To me fan and brand do go hand in hand for something to last. If the area doesn't get the pull that other parts of the park gets, it won't last. However, that can't be argued at the moment because its not open. I am sure it will do well and be well executed. What I am saying is that I don't see the attraction of it personally. But from this thread alone it does seem to have major excitement among Disney fans, so thats all that matters. What I like matters not in the scheme of things. I will still give it a go when I head to Disney next time and like I mentioned in previous posts, I may very well like and get it once I am there. :)

MereMickey

I just think that James Cameron and Joe Rohde are working on this. So.....

It is going to be amazing. And being amazing or not will determine whether it turns out to be successful.

I love anything Joe touches, so I am sure it will come around in that regards. ;) He is brilliant. James also has a great imagination and does make wonderful films. I'm interested to see how this all comes together.

MereMickey

I think he see the post but is choosing to not acknowledge it...

Well, he won't be answering because I am a she. Haha. And in regards to ignoring posts, I happen to be busy the past day. Can't always jump on but thanks for thinking you know what I am thinking. ;) In good fun, I did respond. You can check the last few posts.

MereMickey

For those reading here, I don't hate Avatar. I'm just not a big fan of it. I hope I meant no offense to anyone that does like Avatar and this expansion. Like I mentioned a few times, I certainly won't be skipping the expansion when it opens, it just isn't something I will be running to. I think it's awesome that others are getting more pumped for it and maybe that excitement will rub off on me. Please understanding that just because I don't quite get why Avatar was something Disney decide to do doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I love hearing others opinions, thats why I am here. Maybe I will see the Avatar light! ;)

FYI… if I don't answer right away to topics please understand I am not ignoring. I work three jobs, so it can be a bit much to answer back right away or jump on. I'm hustling to save some coins for the next vacation to Disney. ;)

twebber55

For those reading here, I don't hate Avatar. I'm just not a big fan of it. I hope I meant no offense to anyone that does like Avatar and this expansion. Like I mentioned a few times, I certainly won't be skipping the expansion when it opens, it just isn't something I will be running to. I think it's awesome that others are getting more pumped for it and maybe that excitement will rub off on me. Please understanding that just because I don't quite get why Avatar was something Disney decide to do doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I love hearing others opinions, thats why I am here. Maybe I will see the Avatar light! ;)

FYI… if I don't answer right away to topics please understand I am not ignoring. I work three jobs, so it can be a bit much to answer back right away or jump on. I'm hustling to save some coins for the next vacation to Disney. ;)
i happen to disagree with you but have enjoyed reading your opinions
so keep posting!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom