bdearl41

Original Poster
So what kind of attractions do we think we will see in Avatar Land? Any knowledge on the matter?

Ignohippo

As I understand it, the deal was done without imagineering knowing anything about it and their planning didn't begin until well after the announcement was made. The plans are probably still at the very early stages so nothing has leaked yet.

The only little nugget we've received was (as I recall) a patent Disney filed for a new type of hanging ride system that many people believe could be for Avatar. I did a search on it on these boards and came up empty.

Remember, design and story would need to be complete for the movies first, so with the movies still 4-5 years from release, I doubt they've even completed the script and designing for the movies yet.

HMButler79

Because Avatar has as much chance of happening as Russia, Switzerland, Venezuela, Spain, and Israel did at EPCOT and Western River Expedition did at MK.

Ignohippo

Because Avatar has as much chance of happening as Russia, Switzerland, Venezuela, Spain, and Israel did at EPCOT and Western River Expedition did at MK.

I actually hope that's true. I'm happy they're wanting to spend money but there are other things I'd like to see them spend money on (LucasLand, EPCOT Futureworld or Beastly Kingdom to name a few).

I personally don't think Disney needs to be spending hundreds of millions to promote someone else's movie franchise when they have so many of their own that they choose to ignore.

Keep it in-house at the mouse!

GoochDSA

Promise? :D

I actually hope that's true. I'm happy they're wanting to spend money but there are other things I'd like to see them spend money on (LucasLand, EPCOT Futureworld or Beastly Kingdom to name a few).

I personally don't think Disney needs to be spending hundred of millions to promote someone else's movie franchise when they have so many of their own that they choose to ignore.

I agree 100%. Well played. :sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
As I understand it, the deal was done without imagineering knowing anything about it and their planning didn't begin until well after the announcement was made.

Nah....Imagineering knew well before the announcement. Not everyone, but there was a small team working on it months prior. Early design work is well under way.

As for it ever getting built...that will be interesting to see.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Nah....Imagineering knew well before the announcement. Not everyone, but there was a small team working on it months prior. Early design work is well under way.

As for it ever getting built...that will be interesting to see.

I don't know if you know the answer to this or not, but figured I'd ask.

Is this deal contingent on Disney actually getting this land built? I am not sure how much TWDC paid for the rights to this project, but lets say the budget skyrockets and they decide its not worth the investment, is there an easy out for this deal? Could Cameron then move it to Universal if they wanted it?

GLaDOS

Is this deal contingent on Disney actually getting this land built? I am not sure how much TWDC paid for the rights to this project, but lets say the budget skyrockets and they decide its not worth the investment, is there an easy out for this deal? Could Cameron then move it to Universal if they wanted it?

Don't wish that evil upon Universal!:fork:

If we're lucky, it'll end up at Six Flags so I'll never have to see it.:lookaroun

Prototype82

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=829729

Something similar to this patent but built in a MUCH more practical manner. Production may look slow but I don't think Disney is going to back out of this project for 2 reasons. Blockbuster soon to be franchise (not that we know how film 2 will do) and Potter's expansion. It will happen. I have faith in that. With Cameron on board I think it will. Time will tell. We just need to accept the fact that Disney goes at a snail's pace with some of this stuff.

ChristianG

I personally don't think Disney needs to be spending hundreds of millions to promote someone else's movie franchise when they have so many of their own that they choose to ignore.

Agree 100%

It has bothered me that AVATAR is something completely different than Disney.
I'm not saying that everything in the park has to be Disney-fied with "Explorer Goofy" riding Pluto dressed as an elephant. What I am saying is that I just don't like the idea of Disney promoting someone else's movie, as you said.
It just bugs me a bit.

Lee

Adventurer

I'm not sure, but I don't think Disney is on the hook for much money at this point. If anything gets built, Disney will owe Cameron and co. a cut of the mercy sales and a licensing fee.
If nothing is built...no harm, no foul.

I think. I'm not privy to the details of the agreement.

njDizFan

I'm not sure, but I don't think Disney is on the hook for much money at this point. If anything gets built, Disney will owe Cameron and co. a cut of the mercy sales and a licensing fee.
If nothing is built...no harm, no foul.

I think. I'm not privy to the details of the agreement.
I most certainly do not have more information than you Lee but I would think Disney had to give Cameron a decent amount of upfront cash to become the "sole" theme park entity with rights to his IP. Also, I think there must be something in the contract that would put a stale date on this merger. If Disney drags their heels for years or decades on this project Cameron must have an out clause so he can then pitch this to Uni or elsewhere.

Lee

Adventurer
As I said, I'm not privy to the terms of the deal.
I remember them having a similar deal with Clive Barker several years ago to develop an attraction based on some of his books.
That obviously never happened, and I don't recall there being a big payment as a result.
I think what they have is an agreement to develop a project, likely with a set time frame and expiration date, but that doesn't include really big payments up front.
Similar to a development deal in the entertainment industry.

I'll try to find out.

jumblue

Clive Barker? Now THERE'S something that would come off as un-Disney and potentially scarring...

Avatar-land I have no problem with, sure there's other properties I'd like to see first, but it's a name in the public consciousness (should probably check the Box office results from Brazil...)

Not to mention if it brings us a bit of Disney Sea flavoring, I'm down with that too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom