AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

lazyboy97o

Looking at the Avatar concept art, and how fanciful it all is . . .

hypothetical question, what if Disney had lavished this much attention and detail to:

-Burton's Alice in Wonderland
-Raimi's Return to Oz
-A 'Tim Burton land" designed and influenced by him and all his films with their distinctive aesthetic.

If you squint at the Avatar renderings you could almost swap in any
of those properties and they would work.

However, none of those have any relation to conservation. Which, despite everyone
going on and on about the other themes of the film, is a central part of the Avatar story . ..

Just stirrin' the pot. . . :)
Conservation is not the only thread at play in Disney's Animal Kingdom. It is a message that came from the larger notion of connecting with our fellow inhabitants.

Of course they are lying... I said it before and I'll say it again: they will line up with the rest of us, and check it all out. They may even like it. But then, they will come on here and continue to play their online character, bashing and hating. In fact, they may even play that character while waiting on line. Will any of us know they were or are in Avatar area? Nope... They hide behind their handle. Believe me, they will all be there when this thing opens.
Conservation is not the only thread at play in Disney's Animal Kingdom. It is a message that came from the larger notion of connecting with our fellow inhabitants.

Yeah, it's about conservation, animals, and ecosystems, all of which are present in Avatar very much so. Your comments are beginning to sound like they came from an animatronic. Regardless, the fanboys that were cheerleading for this to not happen and were fed a line by fake "insiders" lost big time.

And yes, we get that some of you are totally dishonest. You'll ride "Rock 'N Roller Coaster" that has several times less to do with DHS's theme, but you'll boycott Avatar Land because it's not about manticores. No one believes you, no one.

James Cameron also makes the best sequels ever made. I'm pretty sure even some of the die-hard Avatar haters will be hilariously swayed by the positive word of mouth for the sequel.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, it's about conservation, animals, and ecosystems, all of which are present in Avatar very much so. Your comments are beginning to sound like they came from an animatronic. Regardless, the fanboys that were cheerleading for this to not happen and were fed a line by fake "insiders" lost big time.

And yes, we get that some of you are totally dishonest. You'll ride "Rock 'N Roller Coaster" that has several times less to do with DHS's theme, but you'll boycott Avatar Land because it's not about manticores. No one believes you, no one.
How is the fanboys were wanting this not to happen? Shouldn't they be the ones loving whatever Disney does? How exactly do you know how often I ride the Rock 'N Rollercoaster? Or how does riding somehow reduce critique? Is it not possible to watch and even enjoy a film but still know that as a piece of cinema art it is lacking?

How is the fanboys were wanting this not to happen? Shouldn't they be the ones loving whatever Disney does? How exactly do you know how often I ride the Rock 'N Rollercoaster? Or how does riding somehow reduce critique? Is it not possible to watch and even enjoy a film but still know that as a piece of cinema art it is lacking?

You're also beginning to sound like Yoda. Maybe the can put you in the new Star Wars attractions in DHS.

Claiming not to be fanboys is the most hilarious thing I've ever heard. The elitism among the people that talk about "pixie dust" and the rest is pretty much off the charts into hyper stuck up nerd territory.

lazyboy97o

You're also beginning to sound like Yoda. Maybe the can put you in the new Star Wars attractions in DHS.

Claiming not to be fanboys is the most hilarious thing I've ever heard. The elitism among the people that talk about "pixie dust" and the rest is pretty much off the charts into hyper stuck up nerd territory.
Why do I get the feeling your nasty attitude has been known here before?

Magenta Panther

I think the real argument here is financial. I'm willing to bet that ticket and DVD sales of Oz and Wonderland combined are only a fraction of what Avatar sold. Money talks.

Yeah, but Disney didn't get a dime of Avatar's money. But it DID do very well with Oz and Wonderland - films that DISNEY made. Which makes the Avatar"land" investment seem even more insane.

Magenta Panther

What am I protesting? At this point I could care less about Avatar at AK, the debate over its merits as both a film and theme park attraction have been done to death on this forum. I won't be going to Avatarland or whatever it will be called, not out of protest but because I have no interest in it. I could bore you with the reasons for that by repeating things that have been posted here vociferously by others countless times over the past two years but instead I'll just concentrate on things I am interested in at WDW and elsewhere in Orlando and not needlessly try to rain on the parade of those who are excited for it. You don't have to believe a word I say here but I mean it when I say I won't be journeying to Pandora, not as an utterly pointless protest but because I just don't care enough about it to devote any of my holiday to it. If I really wanted to protest something there are far more pressing matters in this world that I would give my time and attention to than a theme park attraction.

This. And I think that Iger has forgotten his own assessment as to why the original DCA in California was a failure:

“Like all of our parks, this one was a work in progress. In this particular case, there was a lot about it that wasn’t working,” Iger said. “We probably underestimated how much people would demand Disney when they come to a park that has the Disney name on it.” http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/08/13/bob-iger-comes-clean-on-dca/

DUH.

Bairstow

Yeah, but Disney didn't get a dime of Avatar's money. But it DID do very well with Oz and Wonderland - films that DISNEY made. Which makes the Avatar"land" investment seem even more insane.

Keep in mind that many of Baum's Oz books and Lewis Carol's works are both in the public domain.

If Disney built a "Wonderland" there's nothing stopping Universal (or heck, Six Flags) from building a better one.
If Disney built an "Oz" it couldn't look like the "Oz" in the 1939 MGM film and everyone but Robert Stromberg would hate it.

Disney doesn't own "Wonderland" and "Oz." They're public domain. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Really, I hope the "Nay Avatar Land, Yay Beastly Kingdom" crowd stays as intransigent and insane until opening day. It will just make things that much more hilariously pathetic.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Disney doesn't own "Wonderland" and "Oz." They're public domain. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Really, I hope the "Nay Avatar Land, Yay Beastly Kingdom" crowd stays as intransigent and insane until opening day. It will just make things that much more hilariously pathetic.
I didn't read his comment as Disney owned the Oz franchise, only that they were able to capitalize on it. Unnecessary rhetorical questions aside....

MerlinTheGoat

James Cameron also makes the best sequels ever made. I'm pretty sure even some of the die-hard Avatar haters will be hilariously swayed by the positive word of mouth for the sequel.
Cameron has made a grand total of two sequels that were considered great. Hardly a major track record, especially considering how incredibly long ago they were (film makers can change and aren't immune to becoming bad later in their careers, see George Lucas as a perfect example). And the two sequels he did make had excellent preceding films that people loved before the sequels were even conceived (he also created the original Terminator which many people including myself are a big fan of).

Avatar does not have the same sort of love for its plot or characters as the original Terminator or Alien had. The praise Avatar gets comes again from its visuals and technology (a large amount of the top critic reviews at Rotten Tomatoes confirm that they weren't impressed by the actual underlying story and were just in it for the eye candy). The sequels are going to have to correct those flaws to capture people's attention on the scale of the original (and that may end up happening), they're not going to have that initial wow factor for the technology or visuals that saved the first Avatar from being a flop.

I didn't read his comment as Disney owned the Oz franchise, only that they were able to capitalize on it. Unnecessary rhetorical questions aside....

And what happens after they capitalize on it? Someone else, like Universal, does it better. It's a stupid comparison since the Disney version isn't even in the running for the two most definitive versions of it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And what happens after they capitalize on it? Someone else, like Universal, does it better. It's a stupid comparison since the Disney version isn't even in the running for the two most definitive versions of it.
The comparison was simply about Disney being able to gain from one franchise but not the other, judgements notwithstanding.....

Cameron has made a grand total of two sequels that were considered great. Hardly a major track record, especially considering how incredibly long ago they were (film makers can change and aren't immune to becoming bad later in their careers, see George Lucas as a perfect example). And the two sequels he did make had excellent preceding films that people loved before the sequels were even conceived.

Avatar does not have the same sort of love for its plot or characters as Terminator or Alien. The love Avatar gets comes from its visuals and technology (a large amount of the top critic reviews at Rotten Tomatoes confirm that people weren't impressed by the actual underlying story and were just in it for the eye candy). The sequels are going to have to correct those flaws to capture people's attention on the scale of the original (and that may end up happening), they're not going to have that initial wow factor for the technology or visuals that saved the first Avatar from being a flop.

This is just the same kind of super biased glop completely detached from all measures of objectivity you've been repeating over and over again like a broken record player. Come up with something new please. Claiming that people actually didn't like a film they went back to see multiple times to propel it to the most successful movie of all time is completely anti-logical and frankly, disingenuous.

Questioning Jame's Cameron's track record is also INSANE.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is just the same kind of super biased glop completely detached from all measures of objectivity you've been repeating over and over again like a broken record player. Come up with something new please. Claiming that people actually didn't like a film they went back to see multiple times to propel it to the most successful movie of all time is completely anti-logical and frankly, disingenuous.

Soooooo, you liked Avatar?

Siren

Preach!

Soooooo, you liked Avatar?

I don't even have to like it. It made 3 billion dollars on its theatrical run. People spoke with their money period. If people didn't like Avatar, and it was only a special effects film, the bad word of mouth would have killed it like that Roland Emerich Godzilla remake after its opening weekend. Instead, its business was actually sustained for weeks and weeks due to massive repeat viewings, something that does not happen in the US film industry. This is all fact. The people that are claiming it wasn't a liked film are delusional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom