AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Crazy Harry

Actually, i think any property, once developed and built properly and with enough attention to detail could easily surpass its source material, just look at Splash Mountain, I have no doubt Avatar would work well on its own as a land in a theme park, i just don't think it belongs to Animal Kingdom.

This argument can easily go either way. The buisness has changed. They want relevant properties and not just good attractions. That's why you see things like Toad, and Back to the Future, and E.T. disappear; they are neither timeless nor relevant. A great attraction can surpass this, but you have to be careful.

Splash works because it is a great attraction and not everyone knows it is based on song of the south. It is not reliant on its property for its popularity.

Dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Not that dumb if you actually think about it. I love Harry Potter; I grew up reading the books, saw every movie, had Harry Potter Halloween costumes, etc. But it's a fad. The Harry Potter hype won't last forever. The characters themselves will become a thing of the past. People 50 years from now won't necessarily know who Harry, Ron, and Hermione are ... but I'm sure they'll relate to the concept of wizards, witches, and magic.

In terms of Avatar lasting longer in time than Harry Potter, I'm talking the thematics of Avatar vs the characters of Harry Potter. Heck, I don't think many people now even know who the characters in Avatar are ... but I'm sure the idea of Pandora pops right into their head when they hear the name. That idea of other-worldly inhabitants (the creatures on Pandora) will be relative well into the future. That's why I'm hoping Disney doesn't put a focus on the specific main characters from the film(s) into the park. People won't remember them down the road. Nameless Avatars and creatures that bring the concept of Pandora to life without strictly following the movie's script will last for years.

Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear in my original post.

Prototype82

Sounds interesting.

There is a part of me that wonders what happened to the days when the attractions created the franchises as opposed to the other way around.
I feel the same way. I think for a park to stay to date to keep popularity, it's important to have an equal combination of the two.

S.E.A.

This argument can easily go either way. The buisness has changed. They want relevant properties and not just good attractions. That's why you see things like Toad, and Back to the Future, and E.T. disappear; they are neither timeless nor relevant. A great attraction can surpass this, but you have to be careful.

Splash works because it is a great attraction and not everyone knows it is based on song of the south. It is not reliant on its property for its popularity.

That's true, I do believe though that if the attraction truly is great then there's no reason to replace it even if the property its based upon has become irrelevant. The universal attractions are a special case though as that park itself has major space issues that require the replacements of older attractions.

RSoxNo1

Disney-MGM+Press+Photo+09.jpg

I did ask the question on Twitter earlier if this means that the Sigourney Weaver and Alien AA's in The Great Movie Ride will be fixed.

DonaldDoleWhip

DisneySea is kind of a terrible example if you're gonna compare it to Animal Kingdom. DisneySea's theme is adventure and exploration through the seas, not a literal things involving a body of water. Animal Kingdom is a park based around our relationship with animals and how they spark our imagination. Not the other way around.
Who came up with those definitions - you?

According to Eisner's dedication, DisneySea is where imagination and adventure set sail, and the park's overall cohesive story/theme is nautical exploration (from the Venetian entrance, to the fictional Jules Verne-based Mysterious island, to the future of boats and aqua transport, to diving under the sea with Ariel, etc).

Eisner's dedication of Animal Kingdom incorporates concepts of harmony and survival, and various Disney publications have mentioned animal conservation as a direct theme of the park (as Walt himself cared about animal conservation). To limit everything in the park to direct animal-involvement only is really short-sighted, since so much of the park doesn't fit that model at the moment. Like I said, Kali River Rapids has nothing to do with animals, but it does relate to conservation. I'm happy it's in the park because it's fun and still has a message to share, but it sounds like you're against it.

And I guess that's the bottom line. I'll be happy with this addition, and you won't. And that's okay. I'm sure there were additions that you liked but I didn't really care for (Toy Story Mania, perhaps). I never ride it anymore, I just don't care for it. Lots of people do, and I'm happy for them.

RSoxNo1

Sometimes it's fun to make things fanciful, sometimes it's more interesting not to.
Not every ride has to be a boat ride.
Not every restaurant has to serve chicken fingers.
Not every Animal Kingdom area has to be set on Earth.

That's Disney's Animal Kingdom opening on EARTH DAY April 22, 1998.

JustInTime

Not that dumb if you actually think about it. I love Harry Potter; I grew up reading the books, saw every movie, had Harry Potter Halloween costumes, etc. But it's a fad. The Harry Potter hype won't last forever. The characters themselves will become a thing of the past. People 50 years from now won't necessarily know who Harry, Ron, and Hermione are ... but I'm sure they'll relate to the concept of wizards, witches, and magic.

In terms of Avatar lasting longer in time than Harry Potter, I'm talking the thematics of Avatar vs the characters of Harry Potter. Heck, I don't think many people now even know who the characters in Avatar are ... but I'm sure the idea of Pandora pops right into their head when they hear the name. That idea of other-worldly inhabitants (the creatures on Pandora) will be relative well into the future. That's why I'm hoping Disney doesn't put a focus on the specific main characters from the film(s) into the park. People won't remember them down the road. Nameless Avatars and creatures that bring the concept of Pandora to life without strictly following the movie's script will last for years.

LOL! Not this conversation again. :rolleyes:

Bairstow

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Potter being around much longer than some people around here want to think.
I'm sure at one point people said Star Wars was just a craze. Or Batman. Or The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Even modern works can leave an indelible mark on the accepted canon of our culture. It's as pointless to debate whether or not it's going to happen as it is to debate what the weather is going to be like tomorrow.

As for your second point, that whatever WDI builds off of the Avatar concept will not be strictly dependent on the movie, I think you're exactly right, and this is one of the main reasons I'm so interested in this project. Many of the aspects of the film, like the mercenaries and all their guns and the transference of brains into new bodies can't be incorporated into a family theme park, which puts WDI into uncharted territory. Assuming that we're right, and WDI will have to be creating all kinds of stuff not seen in the films, this project is very exciting.

RSoxNo1

Oh Lord, when I was a kid, that Alien freaked me out so much. I haven't been to the park in years. The AA's are down? x_x

Finally caught up!

The overhead AA didn't lurch on my ride but a friend of mine was also there this weekend he said it did lurch. They turned the slime off years ago though and Sigourney Weaver still tweaks like a drug addict. On the plus side, they should already have the mold if they want to make a Sigourney Weaver AA figure.

JustInTime

Finally caught up!

The overhead AA didn't lurch on my ride but a friend of mine was also there this weekend he said it did lurch. They turned the slime off years ago though and Sigourney Weaver still tweaks like a drug addict. On the plus side, they should already have the mold if they want to make a Sigourney Weaver AA figure.

Ohhhh! The slime was on last week! We all pointed it out. It was neat. Fist time I had ever seen it. But the only Alien that popped out was the one in the ceiling.

tl77

And yet, even after 3 godawful Star Wars prequels I can still enjoy Star Tours.

The first 3 Star Wars films were great, so great they built a ride, but Star Tours the ride, came before the prequels, so here's the math

Star Tours is 1 single attraction, that takes you on multiple rides, through 6 preexisting Films

Avatar is 1 single movie and they are going to build multiple rides for, plus there's going to be 2 other movies, that haven't even been made yet... but they're going to have rides too... uh? sounds kinda messy to me...

You think it might be a good idea to wait and see how the other movies turn out before they go building a whole themed land dedicated to them?

S.E.A.

Finally caught up!

they'll probably end up making the Na'Vi version of Sigourney as the AA with the real Grace appearing in videos or something.

It would also be great to have guests actually have Avatars of our own to explore Pandora with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom