AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

nytimez

The animals don't stay out in the viewing areas/jungle trails/savana at night anyway I don't think.

Right. But the barns are nearby so they animals are "there" even if they're not on a Savannah -- so even if the Savannah is closed and the animals are in, they still wouldn't want loud nighttime activities close to those areas.

FWIW, at least some of the animals at the lodge are let out to roam the savannahs there at night, so it's not like Disney is against nighttime animal viewing. It's just impractical at AK -- both in terms of demand and, I imagine, visibility for those times of year when it gets dark earlier.

NoChesterHester

Right. But the barns are nearby so they animals are "there" even if they're not on a Savannah -- so even if the Savannah is closed and the animals are in, they still wouldn't want loud nighttime activities close to those areas.

FWIW, at least some of the animals at the lodge are let out to roam the savannahs there at night, so it's not like Disney is against nighttime animal viewing. It's just impractical at AK -- both in terms of demand and, I imagine, visibility for those times of year when it gets dark earlier.

The park has lights. It used to have extra magic hours evenings.

RSoxNo1

The animals don't stay out in the viewing areas/jungle trails/savana at night anyway I don't think.

I believe the animals in the Oasis and Discovery Island have enclosures within their habitat (or behind it). I may be mistaken but I think some of the birds are brought out to their enclosures each day by handlers.

The enclosures in Africa have areas that are exposed to the elements so that needs to be considered. I know some animals will stay out on exhibit if they so desire, but typically they all return to their nighthouses.

The north plot has enough room to create a full size Pandora without disrupting the animals. The issue here very well may be the actual construction of the project.

I'm not that worried about the animals. They do have enclosures at night and if you look at many of the metropolitan zoos they are RIGHT near the noise of the city and they seem to find a way to protect the animals from that

Thurp

If most of Pandora ends up being an enclosed land like some here have theorized, then the impact to the animals would be minimal.

devoy1701

I believe the animals in the Oasis and Discovery Island have enclosures within their habitat (or behind it). I may be mistaken but I think some of the birds are brought out to their enclosures each day by handlers.

The enclosures in Africa have areas that are exposed to the elements so that needs to be considered. I know some animals will stay out on exhibit if they so desire, but typically they all return to their nighthouses.

The north plot has enough room to create a full size Pandora without disrupting the animals. The issue here very well may be the actual construction of the project.

I agree. In addition, some strategically placed sbow buildings and "floating mountains" (sound walls) would help to deflect the noise levels no matter where Pandora ends up. I don't expect noise vs. animal comfort to be much of an obsticle at all here.

DonaldDoleWhip

I actually agree with most of your post, especially the part about not being pessimistic about these changes. But I wanted to add one thing... the reason you see so much Pixar is because it's popular. That's also why Universal invested so much in Harry Potter. And why Disney is taking such a huge risk on Pandora.

As Disney fanatics we all have our favorite classic Disney films. The Disney brand is stronger than we realize. Look at The Lion King - the #1 movie in America two weeks in a row! Personally I'm pleased that the Fantasyland expansion features The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast - two of my favorites.

All of the Disney movies and characters should absolutely support the parks, and they do. But the parks shouldn't be limited to the Disney library. If there's an opportunity to bring in an outside franchise to make the park better, they should absolutely do it. Then they can sort of make it Disney.

Look at Star Wars! This is NOT a Disney film, not even remotely close. But today Star Tours doesn't feel out of place. And now you can go into the gift shop and see Jedi Mickey, which is funny and bizarre but still feels right somehow.

Avatar was a pretty good movie (and the most popular movie of all time). The greatest strength of the film was the environment the movie recreated on film - unlike anything audiences had ever seen before, a new achievement in computer graphics that took you into a whole new world. If they can use the Disney magic to recreate that world in Animal Kingdom, it will be an absolutely amazing experience. Disney will make Pandora it's own.
I agree with your post. Most Pixar-related attractions seem to develop a huge following (Buzz, Nemo pavilion, Ratatouille at Les Chefs de France, and of course Toy Story Mania). I can certainly understand why they're added, but I've basically had enough of seeing them everywhere.

And you have a great point about New Fantasyland; I'm so happy to finally see The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast receive what they deserve (I still think BatB could have a more significant ride or attraction). I still would love Disney to announce a Lion King or Aladdin dark ride (since for years, I felt that the Disney renaissance masterpieces were underrepresented, while Pixar has become overrepresented).

But since I don't expect that to happen (and I know the parks would be a lot less interesting if any outside properties, such as Indy, Star Wars, or Twilight Zone, were removed), to me Pandora is better than Carsland. I want to be immersed in something different, yet still have the detail and beauty that Disney is known for. Plus, as you point out, the strength of Avatar might not have been its plot, but the graphics and special effects were able to wonderfully create a whole new planet and world of flora and fauna. That sounds absolutely perfect for a theme park. :)

nytimez

Yes, and most of the animals have been conditioned to return to their pens/barns in the evening. Many no longer even need the audio cues, which is why you'll find them gathered near the entrances to their backstage areas on late-day Kilimanjaro Safari rides.

Aside from park closures, they are also brought inside at those specific times to help with their care, including nutrition, examinations and -- I think the company doesn't like to talk about this so much -- medication. They're not "doped" or anything (as far as I know) but many do have meds they are give at morning and/or evening.

DonaldDoleWhip

You never saw High School Musical when it was in Tomorrowland, did you? :hurl:
But High School Musical is an in-house Disney property, which means it fits just fine in any Disney park regardless of the park's actual theme. Obviously :brick:

And while they're at it, they need to kick Indy out of Disneyland's Adventureland. Do they want Disney to turn into another Universal?! :lookaroun

DKampy

But High School Musical is an in-house Disney property, which means it fits just fine in any Disney park regardless of the park's actual theme. Obviously :brick:

And while they're at it, they need to kick Indy out of Disneyland's Adventureland. Do they want Disney to turn into another Universal?! :lookaroun

Ummm that is not fine as unless they are are from a high school in the future.

I do not see the issue with Pandora blending in with Animal Kingdom...they both have the same theme of conservation. Plus they both have thier lands which are both nature based...I don't get why it would be so hard to blend in...I think at least it will not stick out like a sore thumb...ie...Dino land.

devoy1701

Ummm that is not fine as unless they are are from a high school in the future.

I do not see the issue with Pandora blending in with Animal Kingdom...they both have the same theme of conservation. Plus they both have thier lands which are both nature based...I don't get why it would be so hard to blend in...I think at least it will not stick out like a sore thumb...ie...Dino land.

(he was being sarcastic)

DonaldDoleWhip

(he was being sarcastic)
Thank you for that. I thought the second part of my post would make it clear, but I guess not :lol:

Agreed. I don't see how anyone can complain about Pandora (which, at a bare minimum, will be an aesthetically pleasing land) while the uber-tacky Dino-Rama sits on the other side of the park.

devoy1701

Thank you for that. I thought the second part of my post would make it clear, but I guess not :lol:

Agreed. I don't see how anyone can complain about Pandora (which, at a bare minimum, will be an aesthetically pleasing land) while the uber-tacky Dino-Rama sits on the other side of the park.

It appears I am in need of a better sarcasm detector as well!

It's been a long tuesday! :eek:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I heard that too. 12 acres aint much.
I was thinking the same thing but I an not quite ready to raise the worried flag yet. It is still way early in the project and for all we know 12 acres might be phase one, a single attraction or just a number pulled out of thin air.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom