Avatar Flight of Passage vs Soarin' Around the World

Which is the better ride?

• Total voters

ppet

FOP is definitely the winner, but both can be greatly improved if you get to set in the center of the screen.

HouCuseChickie

I voted for Soarin' because my eyes have a really hard time picking up 3D film. I've ridden it 3x and the only way I can pick up on any of it is by squinting. I'm still bothered by the distortion, especially from the outer seats, in Soarin' Around the World, but at least I can see it.

Texas84

It's FoP. I always feel like I'm going to fall out of the seat during Soarin'. But agree on the double vision on FoP lately. It was very clear during previews.

Wilbret

Flight of Passage vs Rise of the Resistance | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt  Disney World discussion forums

Soarin' Around the World at Epcot | Walt Disney World Resort' Around the World at Epcot | Walt Disney World Resort
Avatar is a better ride, but they are pretty even to me. The kids like playing trivia in the Soarin' queue.

Soarin' in the late 2000's was the bomb-diggity. I feel like this format is available EVERYWHERE now, so it's not as interesting to me.
Avatar added a fun element with the ride vehicle that makes it superior. I wish the average waits could drop, though.

Mireille

Premium Member
I love Soarin', but FoP just has so much atmosphere, with the pre-show, the queue and then the ride itself. I know I'm just standing in line in a different room, but it works on me.

Club Cooloholic

Why can't Soarin get a new film or films? I'm sure it's easy plus there was stuff on the bottom on the big screen.

FOP doesn't seemed to be aging very well. I don't know if I can never see 3D but I saw double when I was on the ride a couple days ago. Plus the pre-show is horrible.
Well l, FOP does have a superior line, much more to look at and interesting than, a big empty hangar.
As for aging well, hmm I have always sometimes seen double with it but that is more of a me not aging well not the ride. I kid, it's just how my eyes.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
It's FoP. I always feel like I'm going to fall out of the seat during Soarin'. But agree on the double vision on FoP lately. It was very clear during previews.
Good, I’m not crazy, I could’ve sworn that I could see the floating things in the caves and such clearly the first year or two, but the last year or two I can’t seem to focus on them or some of the other 3D effects as well as I remember and have gotten a little more of that twinge of headache going through the faster motion parts. I had assumed that was just what happens when you turn 40 😂

Texas84

Good, I’m not crazy, I could’ve sworn that I could see the floating things in the caves and such clearly the first year or two, but the last year or two I can’t seem to focus on them or some of the other 3D effects as well as I remember and have gotten a little more of that twinge of headache going through the faster motion parts. I had assumed that was just what happens when you turn 40 😂
I was older than that at previews and it was very clear. :)

Tom Morrow

Flight of Passage is legions better than either Soarin' version, but also Soarin' Over California is significantly better than Soarin' Around the World. Around the World largely misses the mark on the things that made the original work:

- a flowing musical score vs. segmented
- emphasis on the landscape you are flying over, not famous landmarks you are flying towards. The goal was for you to consider the beauty of vistas you might not normally think about. Instead, the intent is to make you excited about seeing things you already probably recognize.
- The original had continual changes in speed and altitude vs. ATW mostly going the same speed and straight forward
- The original film had sort of an arthouse vibe to it vs. the new one, with its' startling transitions that make it clear that "this is definitely a theme park ride".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom