Avatar Flight of Passage vs Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

Which is the better ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Avatar Flight of Passage vs Soarin' Around the World | WDWMAGIC -  Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

maxresdefault.jpg

Both rides get the longest waits in the Orlando parks. Both rides are also the main attraction in their respective land. Which is the better ride?

LittleMerman

FOP! It's my fave ride I've ever been on. It's so beautiful and serene.
Gringotts is really fun too but the simulators make me a little sick.

OG Runner

Flight of Passage without a doubt. FOP versus Harry Potter Forbidden Journey and then you have some competition.

Sorcerer Mickey

FOP is literally just a screen. 🤔
I realized this after posting and had to dwell on it for a bit. I think it's the expectation. Gringotts has a track and minor roller coaster elements, but their sole purpose is to transport you from one screen to the next. It would almost work better if it was a simulator. The Mummy has a similar build but think about the interactions with animatronics and the crazy coaster segment that makes up the second-half of the ride. Gringotts has a big boost at the end but it's very short-lived and there isn't anything else to it but a straightway.

Story-wise, FoP was very impressive in how it tied the sci-fi franchise to conservatism and the park's overall ethos. The ride is serene, beautiful, relaxing but thrilling. I've never ridden a banshee before but the ride definitely feels accurate to the sensation of flying on an otherworldly creature. Gringotts is another example of the "something went wrong!" setup that can be seen on most Universal rides.

Also, following the Forbidden Journey was a tall order.

JT3000

It is but on a much higher level. Take into account your ride "seat". (it breathes) The extra affects during the ride. (ie when going through the curl of the wave.) It is really not "just" a screen.
You have to take into account your "ride seat" on both rides. The ride system of Gringotts is the most advanced thing about it, requiring a collaboration by multiple manufacturers. But if we're talking visuals, which we were, you can't dock points for use of screens when one of the rides has you looking at a screen the entire time.

BrianLo

Flight of Passage wins based on proper pacing and the effectiveness of creating its desired experience. I feel like I'm transported to Pandora.

Whereas I don't feel like the bank mine train lives up to the promise of the books or movies. Like a tech demo that did not understand the point of the experience it was meant to create. Though the queue, setup and even start of the ride is wonderful.

Which is shocking because, on paper, Gringott's should have been the slam dunk better ride. This speaks to the master craft of FoP, it is way better than its ride system should have allowed it to be.

Saskdw

I rode both these rides multiple times in December.

Gringots is a really good ride and a must do, but FoP is in the running for best ride in Orlando. It's definitely top 3 for me.

WDWFREAK53

I rode both these rides multiple times in December.

Gringots is a really good ride and a must do, but FoP is in the running for best ride in Orlando. It's definitely top 3 for me.
My problem with Gringotts is that it was a perfect premise for an attraction but the execution was far from perfect.

I think the issue is that they started with the Greatest Hits album and then tried to follow it up with a solo album. (Forbidden Journey being a Greatest Hits of sorts).

celluloid

My problem with Gringotts is that it was a perfect premise for an attraction but the execution was far from perfect.

I think the issue is that they started with the Greatest Hits album and then tried to follow it up with a solo album. (Forbidden Journey being a Greatest Hits of sorts).

This, the restraints are not that comfortable and the pacing is all off.

That being said, it still beats Flight of Passage for me.

Flight of Passage is a great simulator, but after riding it I felt like it was just Disney's take on the Back to The Future Ride System that has been at Universal Studios since 1991.

The biggest issue with Gringotts for me is the pacing, it needs a better finale physical thrill to match the adventure. Just when it is going, it seems to stop, and the beginning is more of a climax than the finale.

J4546

Gringotts was a big letdown imo. The land its in is top notch, but only having 1 ride and its the worst of the three current HP rides in Universal Parks is a bummer. Feels like Nintendo World kinda, a beautiful fun land with tons to interact with and see, but 1 ride and its....ok

JT3000

Gringotts was a big letdown imo. The land its in is top notch, but only having 1 ride and its the worst of the three current HP rides in Universal Parks is a bummer. Feels like Nintendo World kinda, a beautiful fun land with tons to interact with and see, but 1 ride and its....ok
I'm guessing you went to Hollywood's? That will be the only Nintendo land with only one ride, unless they expand it.

OG Runner

Coaster versus simulator. Gringotts was more exciting to me than Flight of Passage.
I know slow response, I was on vacation. Gringott's is a coaster only in that you are on a track. There is really only one small drop and it being on a track really does not add to the excitement. As I mentioned before there are other elements that make FOP a much more enjoyable and exciting ride.

cheezbat

I know slow response, I was on vacation. Gringott's is a coaster only in that you are on a track. There is really only one small drop and it being on a track really does not add to the excitement. As I mentioned before there are other elements that make FOP a much more enjoyable and exciting ride.
For you.

I find Gringotts to be much more repeatable than FOP. First time it was cool, second time, eh…now? Hardly any different than riding Soarin’ or The Simpsons ride or Jimmy Fallon. Just a souped up simulator.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom