News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

TP2000

Until Disneyland Forward is approved, I refuse to get excited about anything they announce that "could" or "might" be coming to a park near you. At this stage, this is more Disney Nothing Burger (TM - Mobile order yours today!).

Exactly. Has Josh D'Amaro ever shown a concept sketch that has actually been built or approved yet? I can't think of one, even though he's shown at least a half dozen concept sketches for new lands and rides for parks around the world.

I'll try and take my vitamins regularly to hopefully make it to the 2030's when this may open. Or not.

That said, the artwork does look nice. And that's got to be the highest capacity ride vehicle WDI has done in decades. Are they forcing the Imagineers and Parks executives to wait in actual Standby lines now before they design stuff?

TP2000

Why am I the only one who saw the shoutout to 1960's Tomorrowland in this new Pandoraland artwork?!? They've even got a dad pointing out the beauties to his son, like so many dads and sons did in the 1960's.

2030's Pandoraland
Look At Those Beauties, Son!.jpg

1960's Tomorrowland
LagoonMermaids2.jpg

britain

Why am I the only one who saw the shoutout to 1960's Tomorrowland in this new Pandoraland artwork?!? They've even got a dad pointing out the beauties to his son, like so many dads and sons did in the 1960's.

2030's Pandoraland
View attachment 776879

1960's Tomorrowland
LagoonMermaids2.jpg

I noticed that too. Another reason why I felt this was intended for the sub lagoon originally.

choco choco

So they really are going to put this into Disneyland. 🤣

At this point, I don’t even know what to say that hasn’t been already said about their attraction menu planning. California Adventure couldn’t be thirstier, and yet they keep spoon-feeding the well-fatted calf.

I hope they take out the Millenium Falcon ride and just put it in there. Carve out the lagoon where the current Falcon sits, and re-purpose that show building into this. It’s a good excuse to take out that failed attraction.

Professortango1

Lol yeah same here. I gave up on the California theme after Mission Breakout. I mean even Cars Land has nothing to do with California.
I just wish they would give up on the theme and figure out what they want to do with the park. Mission BO bends over backwards to fit in the California theme. Radiator Springs still fits California. But unless they go the film set route, Avatar has nothing to do with the park they've built.

If we are going to get a shoe-horned Pandora land, I'd prefer it to replace Grizzly Peak. The park right now is IP-world, but still themed to California. If Avatar replaced Grizzly Peak, it would be the one area still not themed to an IP. While losing original attractions and lands isn't a good thing, at least the park would be consistent about having lands inspired by IP rather than a park inspired by California with lands themed to California aspects of IPs.

RescueTheDay

So they really are going to put this into Disneyland. 🤣

At this point, I don’t even know what to say that hasn’t been already said about their attraction menu planning. California Adventure couldn’t be thirstier, and yet they keep spoon-feeding the well-fatted calf.

I hope they take out the Millenium Falcon ride and just put it in there. Carve out the lagoon where the current Falcon sits, and re-purpose that show building into this. It’s a good excuse to take out that failed attraction.
All signs point this attraction going to DCA…

mickEblu

I just wish they would give up on the theme and figure out what they want to do with the park. Mission BO bends over backwards to fit in the California theme. Radiator Springs still fits California. But unless they go the film set route, Avatar has nothing to do with the park they've built.

If we are going to get a shoe-horned Pandora land, I'd prefer it to replace Grizzly Peak. The park right now is IP-world, but still themed to California. If Avatar replaced Grizzly Peak, it would be the one area still not themed to an IP. While losing original attractions and lands isn't a good thing, at least the park would be consistent about having lands inspired by IP rather than a park inspired by California with lands themed to California aspects of IPs.

Couldn’t disagree more on all of this.

MistaDee

Why has everyone moved on so quickly away from the backlot? We have multiple independent sources that have converged on that plot and the details of this agree with all their leaks.

The only reason they are using ‘maybes’ is because the next hurdle is the DL Forward approval and they don’t want to appear too keen to invest regardless. It’s a ploy, but it’s also very, very real.

Disney keeps throwing in so many qualifiers: "may take shape" "imagining" "possible" "potential" - they've been so wishy washy about this it's really tough to nail down their exact plans.

My entirely unqualified, uninformed and unwashed read on the situation is that Avatar was originally developed for the new land in Disneyland Forward, potentially even right where the concept art lines up - as was pointed out by an earlier post.

Based on insiders on these boards, it sounds like the latest thinking is that Hollywood Backlot + Bus Gateway space is the new destination, potentially because it wouldn't have to wait for the vote on Forward. If I am understanding it correctly, they are already zoned to turn the bus esplanade into theme park, but would ideally need the new permissions from Dland Forward to have a new place for the busses to go - is that right?

Lol yeah same here. I gave up on the California theme after Mission Breakout. I mean even Cars Land has nothing to do with California.

I think the Cars Land fit the theme well enough, there are beautiful red rocks in California just like we see in Cars:

1712191085140.png

Red Rock Canyon State Park is super underrated btw ^

Plus, California was one of the vanguards of highway development back in the 1950s with the PCH and the advent of fast food places etc. so the theme was always close enough you could justify it if you were willing to be a little charitable (and squint)

Avenger's Campus + Mission Breakout in particular are a worse fit, with an eye-roll inducing justification but still "technically" could fit

Pandora for me feels like it crosses the line to the point it's basically just Disney "Adventures" as the theme, with California the location like Disneyland Paris. Very post-modern and I feel like I'm abstracting myself into knots but maybe they'll figure out a way to make it fit.....i just dont see one

Last edited:

mickEblu

Disney keeps throwing in so many qualifiers: "may take shape" "imagining" "possible" "potential" - they've been so wishy washy about this it's really tough to nail down their exact plans.

My entirely unqualified, uninformed and unwashed read on the situation is that Avatar was originally developed for the new land in Disneyland Forward, potentially even right where the concept art lines up - as was pointed out by an earlier post.

Based on insiders on these boards, it sounds like the latest thinking is that Hollywood Backlot + Bus Gateway space is the new destination, potentially because it wouldn't have to wait for the vote on Forward. If I am understanding it correctly, they are already zoned to turn the bus esplanade into theme park, but would ideally need the new permissions from Dland Forward to have a new place for the busses to go - is that right?

I think the Cars Land fit the theme well enough, there are beautiful red rocks in California just like we see in Cars:

View attachment 776883

Plus, California was one of the vanguards of highway development back in the 1950s with the PCH and the advent of fast food places etc. so the theme was always close enough you could justify it if you were willing to be a little charitable (and squint)

Avenger's Campus + Mission Breakout in particular are a worse fit, with an eye-roll inducing justification but still "technically" could fit

Pandora for me feels like it crosses the line to the point it's basically just Disney "Adventures" as the theme, with California the location like Disneyland Paris. Very post-modern and I feel like I'm abstracting myself into knots but maybe they'll figure out a way to make it fit.....i just dont see one

The only things that really fit the old California theme are BVS, Grizzly Peak and Hollywood Blvd/ Backlot. Everything else requires mental gymnastics or some lame back story.

Consumer

View attachment 776883

My brother, that is Bryce Canyon NP in Utah.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom