News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

britain

Hi again, a problem with putting Pandora in Disneyland California, DLForward or not, that came to mind is that the floating mountains would be an eyesore for the Anaheim residents. Said themed land works better in Florida because the area is mainly surrounded by trees.

You’ve got to be trolling me.

You’ve got Mission freaking Breakout out there in all its gaudy glory and you think people will complain about some pretty greenery hoisted in the air?

CaptinEO

You’ve got Mission freaking Breakout out there in all its gaudy glory and you think people will complain about some pretty greenery hoisted in the air?
And you can already see Star Wars Mountains from Big Thunder and the unfinished backside of Star Wars from the parking structure. If you are on harbor you can see the unfinished backside of Cars. Disney doesn't care about show these days.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Hi again, a problem with putting Pandora in Disneyland California, DLForward or not, that came to mind is that the floating mountains would be an eyesore for the Anaheim residents. Said themed land works better in Florida because the area is mainly surrounded by trees.
Behold!

1678729711332.png

britain

Would they care if a giant globe was present if WestCOT didn’t get scrapped?

Look, I don’t even know how big the floating mountains are in AK's Pandora.

They aren’t record breakers in height. If they are as tall as they are in Florida, they’d be about as high as DL’s Space Mountain.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Anaheim residents don’t care about that.
That is the point everyone is making, if they don't care about that why would they care about some mountains with greenery....
It'll actually more than likely blend into the surrounding areas not seen as an eyesore, that is if its even seen from outside the Resort District anyways.

BubbaisSleep

Avatar dance party in Hollywoodland sounds wonderful to me!

Seeing floating mountains from outside the park would be as beautiful as the Matterhorn is. How the floating mountains will look is probably the least problematic part of this addition.

No Name

I think a view of those floating mountains might increase the property value for Anaheim residents!

The truth is they’d probably be looking at the back of the show building and not much else.

Look, I don’t even know how big the floating mountains are in AK's Pandora.
They’re like 30 feet higher than the Cars Land and Galaxy’s Edge rocks.

britain

I checked and in DAK they are 157 feet high, 30 feet shorter than Cinderella's Castle, but I was wrong about them being close to DL's Space Mountain (76 feet). However, I can easily imagine them making a DL version a bit smaller in scale, so they could be shorter than (and not compete with) the Matterhorn's 147 feet.

Note, that's 157 from the "top" which is actually one of the little rocks floating away. The bulk of it is in the middle third of the height.

1678766325703.png

Also note, for DL, they could create a much tighter ravine or tunnel that you must travel through and then you appear in a tight valley beneath the rocks (Mario World-style). So, you'd lose out on these big DAK vista shots, but magical nooks and crannies are in keeping with Disneyland's charm (see Indiana Jones Adventure).

Consumer

I checked and in DAK they are 157 feet high, 30 feet shorter than Cinderella's Castle, but I was wrong about them being close to DL's Space Mountain (76 feet). However, I can easily imagine them making a DL version a bit smaller in scale, so they could be shorter than (and not compete with) the Matterhorn's 147 feet.

Note, that's 157 from the "top" which is actually one of the little rocks floating away. The bulk of it is in the middle third of the height.

View attachment 703698

Also note, for DL, they could create a much tighter ravine or tunnel that you must travel through and then you appear in a tight valley beneath the rocks (Mario World-style). So, you'd lose out on these big DAK vista shots, but magical nooks and crannies are in keeping with Disneyland's charm (see Indiana Jones Adventure).
Judging by Galaxy’s Edge, any Avatar expansion would not honor Disneyland’s smaller scale.

mickEblu

View attachment 703698

Why not build it outside the berm and not deal with any of these constraints?

mickEblu

Charm.

Plus, constraints are good.

It’s “just build it bigger outside of the berm” thinking like that that gets you Cosmic Rewind’s gravity building.

I think there is a lot more potential for Avatar to go wrong within the berm than outside of it. Definitely a lot more to possibly lose inside the berm. Plus we’ve seen the “bigger is better” approach you re referring to - Pandora at AK. They certainly do a lot worse than that. Also, while constraints can be good, limiting a franchise that makes you a gazillion dollars to a ride in Tomorrowland or some forced mini Pandora when you have enough space outside the berm to do some extravagant is counterintuitive. If not Avatar as part of Disneyland or DCA forward then what? Zootopia? Moana land? Another Toy Story land? Something original is not happening. Nothing makes more sense than Avatar. That’s not even getting into the fact that Pandora translates into a theme park environment beautifully.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Hey that warehouse fortress power plant is (probably) providing energy, albeit dirty & toxic, to at least half of the greater Los Angeles area.

britain

I think there is a lot more potential for Avatar to go wrong within the berm than outside of it. Definitely a lot more to possibly lose inside the berm. Plus we’ve seen the “bigger is better” approach you re referring to - Pandora at AK. They certainly do a lot worse than that. Also, while constraints can be good, limiting a franchise that makes you a gazillion dollars to a ride in Tomorrowland or some forced mini Pandora when you have enough space outside the berm to do some extravagant is counterintuitive. If not Avatar as part of Disneyland or DCA forward then what? Zootopia? Moana land? Another Toy Story land? Something original is not happening. Nothing makes more sense than Avatar. That’s not even getting into the fact that Pandora translates into a theme park environment beautifully.

I think we agree more than disagree. Maybe we are using terms differently. I think doing something at an impressively large scale is still possible within the boundary of the current berm, and that way it can be used to benefit Tomorrowland which needs help badly. I think Avatar fits pretty well within the vibe of Disneyland, better than Zootopia and Toy Story. So I would put those things (and miscellaneous things like them) in the "Forward" spill over areas but find a way to make Avatar work in the berm (even if it means its entrance is in the berm, and then - like Indy - its show building is outside of the berm).

mickEblu

I think we agree more than disagree. Maybe we are using terms differently. I think doing something at an impressively large scale is still possible within the boundary of the current berm, and that way it can be used to benefit Tomorrowland which needs help badly. I think Avatar fits pretty well within the vibe of Disneyland, better than Zootopia and Toy Story. So I would put those things (and miscellaneous things like them) in the "Forward" spill over areas but find a way to make Avatar work in the berm (even if it means its entrance is in the berm, and then - like Indy - its show building is outside of the berm).

Just the words “impressively large scale” within the berm scare me. I wouldn’t mind if they just added a single attraction to Tomorrowland proper as long as it’s in scale with DL and doesn’t decimate the entire eastern portion of the park, the lagoon stays and it looks natural next to the Matterhorn. I can see the desire to revitalize TL with an IP like Avatar but I’d prefer even the chance of having a retro futuristic city on the move again over an Avatar refresh of Tomorrowland. In that scenario im not missing out on anything other than limiting options and the space to fit something like Moana or Zootopia land in Disneyland forward. Or heaven forbid more Marvel.

I guess I just don’t understand the desire to fit Avatar within the berm at all costs even if it’s just an entrance to a ride. I think if they re going to add anything else inside the berm it should be reserved for something like Fantasy Springs going to TDS or a Star Wars ride in GE’s expansion pad themed to the OT.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom