Avatar construction aerial updates

photoflight

Original Poster
Might as well start a thread since the construction "officially" is under way. :)

As I understand it the new area is replacing Camp Minnie Mickey so that's what I've concentrated on. If they expand south into the open field I'll expand coverage on these and future images (if and when I get them).

First as a baseline, Camp Minnie Mickey in January 2013
Click to enlarge...

The site about a week after the official "ground breaking". Not much going on except Camp Minnie Mickey is closed.
Click to enlarge...

Related, here's the new Festival of the Lion King theater, due north of the old location. This shows a transition from 2013 to 2014 note: updated the video, the previous date captions were wrong

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Looks like they've also added a silt fence in the river, just behind Pizzafari

In the Lion King shot, it looks like they may have put some earthen dams in the river; I hope those are just temporary for construction, and will be removed when the area reopens. It also looks like there's a huge back-of-house structure attached to the north side of the new theater; it's much larger than what was there before

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like they've also added a silt fence in the river, just behind Pizzafari

In the Lion King shot, it looks like they may have put some earthen dams in the river; I hope those are just temporary for construction, and will be removed when the area reopens. It also looks like there's a huge back-of-house structure attached to the north side of the new theater; it's much larger than what was there before

If you look at the old theatre there were a number of support buildings behind it, these were probably consolidated into the structure that is now attached to the new building.

rnese

Great job pic-posters! But the overriding question...the most important question of all...is...WHERE, pray tell, is the Avatar Restroom going to be?;)

JLipnick

thanks for posting. can you post the pic of the new FOTLK theater? you posted the timelapse video, but we can really zoom in when you post the pic. awesome pics though.

jrlang1

Thank you for posting these photos. They really help me get a handle on what is going on.

The only thing I see in the pic is the remain of the sand from the ground breaking and fencing

i-TT75Fz4X2-X2.jpg

Last edited:

gonnichi

Thank you so much for the pics and video! I'm very excited to see the progress of the new Festival of the Lion King. Does anyone know when construction is going to be completed on FOTLK?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is the before image (bottom) and after (top) with some of the changes highlighted. In the top picture fences were added in the lower right and by the FotLK building. Also appears to be some blue tents added in the top picture by one of the back stage building.

In the bottom picture (before) you can see a couple things have disappeared. Directly behind the theater was a tank of some sort that was removed. There is also an object just south of that that has disappeared. Behind the old Pocahontas theatre there where a bunch of white objects that are now mostly gone.

\\\
CMM1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom