Automated Monorails

Genie of the Lamp

Saw this on screamscape and another site today:
Minor bump but it's important newer news. Saw this posted on Screamscape today:
Monorail System News - (3/7/13) A very interesting report on the possible future of the WDW Monorail system was posted over at Monorails.org a few weeks back. Their sources claim that a group named Thales Transportation has been hired to design and update the entire WDW Monorail system over the next two years to become a fully automated system, while still using the existing Mark VI fleet.
The monorail Pilots will remain onboard, but only to serve as a babysitter to monitor the train systems. The trains themselves will simply be dispatched, much like any other Disney ride, by an operator at the station. The rumored budget for the project is said to be around $75 million. The article also claims that they may look into reversing the path the monorails take around the beams in order to prevent driving backwards through a beam-switch, but that doesn’t quite make sense to me, as they will still have to drive backwards through the switch, just on the way out to the beam instead of going off the beam.

Edit: Thanks @articos for directing me to this thread.:) Guess I'm a little behind and forgot about this thread. Hopefully this is in the right thread.

Monorail_Red

I'm sorry, but I don't see the benefit to reversing the direction of travel. You still have to go through the switch one way or another. With the current procedures, pilots switch ends as needed so they are always going forward.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm sorry, but I don't see the benefit to reversing the direction of travel. You still have to go through the switch one way or another. With the current procedures, pilots switch ends as needed so they are always going forward.

I agree. No matter which directions the trains are traveling during operation, at least one loop is going to have to change direction to pass through a switch or to be put away.

The new procedure (which, in my opinion, they should have always used) of switching ends of the train at the station is perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom