Auto Train?

Ember

We are booked for May and we were planning on driving since the weather will be nice and whatnot. However, I have made that drive so many times and it is just so darn boring. We were thinking about taking the autotrain on the way back just to save us some driving time and hopefully make it a little more interesting. The rates are a little steep though and adding a sleeping room is out of the question as it adds nearly $500 making the total cost for one way $900. Has anyone taken this train before? Is it worth the $400 for four people? Will the children be able to stand being on a train for 17 hours straight? They are 7 and 3 1/2.

Figgy1

We are booked for May and we were planning on driving since the weather will be nice and whatnot. However, I have made that drive so many times and it is just so darn boring. We were thinking about taking the autotrain on the way back just to save us some driving time and hopefully make it a little more interesting. The rates are a little steep though and adding a sleeping room is out of the question as it adds nearly $500 making the total cost for one way $900. Has anyone taken this train before? Is it worth the $400 for four people? Will the children be able to stand being on a train for 17 hours straight? They are 7 and 3 1/2.
Welcome!! My friend has done it (serious fear of flying) a few times but money is not an issue for her! And I don't think the little ones will appreciate the train! If you don't have a portable dvd player take some of the savings and get one for watching Disney movies on the way down. By the way the kids flew home with the grandparents.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

I took the train with my Dad when I moved down here. It was great! We didn't have a sleeper either and were just fine. The seats are really large giving little kids plenty of room to spread out and they can get up and walk around the train as often as they want. There is also a "living room" type car with games and a TV. I would definitely suggest bringing some things to keep them busy like movies, games, etc. but overall it's a great option to being strapped into the car for that long.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

We have friends that do this but not so much for the experience but rather, its cheaper then flying. Its a family of 5 so flights are steep. We priced it for just DH and I and it was so expensive. There's more room on the train then in a car so if they can do the car, they can do the train. :)

Upvote 0

Ember

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I think we are going to take them on a 3 hour practice train ride and see how they do with that. And we figured out that if we split our booking then one of us can add a roomette to the order which is a small room with two beds for only $136. Then we can take turns letting the kids rest in there. I wish we still lived in FL. So much easier.

Upvote 0

Grumpydoc

We've taken the autotrain several times and for a few reasons. The first is that we like having a car at Disney World, it just makes it easier to park hop, go to non-Disney areas and come and go as we please without having to wait for crowded buses. Second, we don't like flying if we can avoid it and by the time you fly a family of 3-4 and rent a car, the autotrain is about the same if not cheaper. Third, we actually find the trip relaxing and kind of a transition to and from vacation. We take a computer and watch a movie or two to pass the time, catch up on reading or music . Fourth, packing is much easier..when in doubt, toss it in the trunk!

While we do prefer getting roomettes to have the beds, as long as the number of travelers is even, we don't mind being in coach. The challenge is when there are an odd number of travelers in your party and one of you is seated with a stranger. That can get kind of weird at times. Last year, there were 3 of us traveling. I had just gotten into my seat when an older woman came along who'd been assigned the other seat. She started questioning me about being in the wrong seat and when I assured her I was not, she was clearly not happy. My wife agree to switch with me and that worked out better but it was hard since the woman kept complaining. Amtrak used to leave the other seat open when there was an odd numbered party but that seemed to have stopped a couple of years ago. We've also thought about getting one roomette while the others get coach seating and take turns sharing the roomette for sleeping and relaxing. The problem would be meals for I don't think the person in the roomette could join the others.

All things considered, we like the autotrain...but the prices have gone up quite a bit in the past few years as more people seem to have discovered it.

Upvote 0

Disney Fanatic 29

I've taken the autotrain several times because my parents don't like to fly. I absolutely hate it. We usually just get the seats (you can pay for a room with a bed but my parents did that one year and said it was two bunk beds and the top bunk was very very close to the ceiling and when the train moved my dad almost hit his head.) Anyway lol the seats lean back a little bit and have foot rests. However, the train is moving all night long and it is very hard to get comfortable. Furthermore, they start to serve breakfast at 6am so people are walking past your seats (we sat right behind the dining cart) opening and shutting the doors while you are trying to sleep. If the train isn't busy, you can spread out a little bit but most of the time all the seats are taken and you sometimes have to sit next to someone you don't know. Also, if can take well over an hour or more to get your car off the train, depending on what time you got there.

Upvote 0

Ember

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. It's really a hard decision to make. If the kids do well on our short trip I think we are definitely going to try it out. I talked an amtrak employee and they suggested we sit on the lower level and let me know that we would be sitting with other families (apparently they group the cars by families, ages, etc.) so that I wouldn't have to worry about disturbing people without kids. The lower level only has 12 seats so that would mean only 8 other people with us and they play kid movies until 11pm in that car. Sounds good on paper and we are pretty adventurous. Couldn't really be any worse than 16 hours in the van. And I really don't want to fly because we have to go to Tallahassee to see family before we hit Disney and having our own car is so much easier. Ugh why can't there be a Hogwart's Express between Jersey and Orlando?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom