Aunt Polly's to reopen for limited time!

EricsBiscuit

Here's the menu.
IMG_6803.JPG

View of LB.
IMG_6806.JPG

Yellow Shoes

I miss the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
When we first took my kids in 1993, Aunt Polly's served cold fried chicken. And I mean COLD--they took it out of the refrigerator. I always thought it was quite reminiscent of a simpler time when cold fried chicken was common. It was served in a paper bag with (I think) potato salad...maybe chips.... and probably a cookie. It was sure nice on a hot day to sit in a rocker eating a cool lunch---and you could see the parade from there.

surfsupdon

When we first took my kids in 1993, Aunt Polly's served cold fried chicken. And I mean COLD--they took it out of the refrigerator. I always thought it was quite reminiscent of a simpler time when cold fried chicken was common. It was served in a paper bag with (I think) potato salad...maybe chips.... and probably a cookie. It was sure nice on a hot day to sit in a rocker eating a cool lunch---and you could see the parade from there.
Yes! Original Aunt Polly’s was something special for those who went out of their way to find it.

Tavernacle12

Yes, bottled water and slushies are impressive.

There are a few menu items that, as far as I know are unique to the location (the sliders and the pretzel dippers, maybe the brownie and root beer too?) at least in MK. I expected them to just have hot dogs and Coke, especially for how short a time period it'll likely be open for. They did more than I expected,

NiarrNDisney

So glad to hear this I h ave some fond memories of being a kid and having lunch there. Just hope they figure out a way to keep those pesky birds out since they swarm this area for food. Even just screening in the porch would be a huge help!

TrojanUSC

How odd. Only open for 4 hours a day? I guess they want it open to "help" with the crowding of other restaurants during the busy lunch time, but is it really a help? It's so out of the way.
And what do those workers do the rest of their day? Are they all just PT?

They'd be much better off opening Tomorrowland Terrace for lunch.

Well if you figure at least an hour of stocking, prep work + cleaning on each end, that's at least a six hour shift, plus a 45 minute lunch. Not sure if the cast there also do any of the culinary work, but it's possible, which would also add time on the shift.

Pretty sad one of the most visited parks in the world has anything seasonal. Terrace and Polly’s should be open all the time. Does Tortuga at least have a menu not just of hot dogs and turkey legs?

Those venues used to be open often but the level of business didn't justify it. Terrace being outside without a/c and so close to Cosmic Rays kept it pretty dead except the lunch rush. Aunt Polly's was basically dead most of the time. Combine that with the annoying logistics of stocking it out on the island (there's no tunnels or anything), it isn't worth it most times of the year. In the early days, when the Island was a bigger draw, it was certainly a more popular spot.

Tortuga has changed over the years, it used to be the "taco" place until Pecos went that direction.

ThemeParkJunkee

This is what I remember. It was a great "picnic" lunch on a shady veranda.

tirian

Well if you figure at least an hour of stocking, prep work + cleaning on each end, that's at least a six hour shift, plus a 45 minute lunch. Not sure if the cast there also do any of the culinary work, but it's possible, which would also add time on the shift.

Those venues used to be open often but the level of business didn't justify it. Terrace being outside without a/c and so close to Cosmic Rays kept it pretty dead except the lunch rush. Aunt Polly's was basically dead most of the time. Combine that with the annoying logistics of stocking it out on the island (there's no tunnels or anything), it isn't worth it most times of the year. In the early days, when the Island was a bigger draw, it was certainly a more popular spot.

Tortuga has changed over the years, it used to be the "taco" place until Pecos went that direction.
Terrace always had problems starting on Day 1. Aunt Polly’s did decent business until the budget cuts of the early 2000s; there’s nowhere else to get a snack on TSI, and the island pulls surprisingly high hourly numbers for what it is.

tirian

I didn’t even know this place existed
One day I’m going to post pics and descriptions from a late-80s or early 90s travel guide to WDW. You’d be shocked at how much has closed or been watered down over the years. I still love the resort, but the company now operates WDW as a hotel district with a checklist of rides rather than a Vacation Kingdom/resort.

Little nooks like Aunt Polly’s were casualties.

Missing20K

One day I’m going to post pics and descriptions from a late-80s or early 90s travel guide to WDW. You’d be shocked at how much has closed or been watered down over the years. I still love the resort, but the company now operates WDW as a hotel district with a checklist of rides rather than a Vacation Kingdom/resort.

Little nooks like Aunt Polly’s were casualties.
200.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom