Augu;st or New Years

disneydentist

Ok, here's the problem. Due to DD starting Jr. High we're not as inclined to skip a week of school this fall. Thanks to band festival tryouts the week of Thanksgiving is out. We're now debating between the second week of August (2002) or December 27th-January 4th (2002-2003).

We've been in WDW for early May, Labor Day, late September, Thanksgiving week, and early December in previous years.
Based on other threads, it seems that New Year's can be wildly crowded. How about some opinions on these two times compared to the other times above (particularly Thanksgiving) from people's experience?

Thanks in advance.

Debbie

Dr. D, it depends on ------------- if you feel like dealing with the heat in August------if you want to deal with the crowds the week of New Years.----- If you want to get away from the cold in Pa..
The last time we went, it was the second week of August. I swore then that I would take my boys out of school before going back in August. However, it has been three years and I am in desperate need of a fix. So here's my choice: I would do the December dates. The decorations will still be up. The weather will be nice if not a brief respite from your weather (especially if you guys have a hard winter), and I find it easier to relax when it's cool than in the dead heat. I would go not expecting to ride and see everything but just to get away and enjoy your time with your family.

Upvote 0

kal1484

From my experience, taking kids out of school isn't that bad, unless they aren't a good student. I usually was ahead of my class when i returned. We drove, so i did all my make-up stuff then.

But, if you still want to not take them out of school, I would say go at New Years. I've gone then for 3 years, and plan to go this year, and it's not that bad. It's also a nice break from the snow. You can see the Christmas stuff still, and it's a nice break from the real world, halfway through the school year.

Upvote 0

Jimmy

Originally posted by disneydentist
Ok, here's the problem. Due to DD starting Jr. High we're not as inclined to skip a week of school this fall. Thanks to band festival tryouts the week of Thanksgiving is out. We're now debating between the second week of August (2002) or December 27th-January 4th (2002-2003).

We've been in WDW for early May, Labor Day, late September, Thanksgiving week, and early December in previous years.
Based on other threads, it seems that New Year's can be wildly crowded. How about some opinions on these two times compared to the other times above (particularly Thanksgiving) from people's experience?

Thanks in advance.

The heat of August vs. the crowds of Christmas/New Year's week. If you can handle the heat, August will be less crowded. The heat is really noticeable at AK and World Showcase at EPCOT. MK and MGM are not so bad b/c alot of attractions are indoors. The decorations at Christmas time are incredible. It is especially magical this time of year. Personally, I woulg go with August due to the crowd factor. You can always check out the decorations in another trip.

Upvote 0

disneydentist

Original Poster
Thanks gang. We've seen the Christmas decorations three times in the last six years so that's not too important. Crowds are a bigger issue than heat right now. I once swore that I would never go when it's brutally hot in FL but we were just there the beginning of May when they were setting records with 95+ temps and actually managed to survive. Crowds are a bigger issue since the kids (and us parents, too) like to do as many rides as possible.

Basically we're just trying to squeeze another trip while the APs (logged 13 days already) are still good (Aug) or start a new set of APs (Dec) with a second trip next year (mid-June).

For the record, I'm not at all opposed to missing school. DD has done so every year since pre-k. Being in the band limits the choice of fall weekends due to football season and the aforementioned band festival tryouts. Spring is tricky due to the concerts themselves and avoiding Easter and Spring Break at Disney. Mostly, I don't want her to miss too much time of her first year of changing classes and teachers. Next year it'll be different.

I'll settle it out once I see her band camp schedule in the next couple of days.

Upvote 0

Becky

:D

Every year I swear we will never go back over New Years and, of course, every year we do.:cool:

We have been every month except July and August. The heat of June and September were bad enough. A couple of hours after we are there in the summer we feel like we have been there all day. The heat just takes the energy away.

So, my vote is New Years. Crowds yes but if you plan well you will be where they are thinest at various times.

Dec. 29-Jan. 5 this year. :sohappy: :sohappy: :wave: :D

Upvote 0

disneydentist

Original Poster
Originally posted by bearboysnc
Do both, and report back to us which is better.

You kids might hate you. But, they'll get over it.

The idea is, unfortunately, tempting. It won't happen this time around, althought Dec. 2002 and Aug 2003 is possible. The kids would only hate me if they heard about your suggestion and didn't get to do it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom