Attractions and Vehicles as Model Kits?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Disney already sells "toys" of some iconic attractions and ride vehicles. But that's exactly what they look like; toys.

For those of you who are more interested in subtle details and scale accuracy, how would you feel if Disney made model kits of attractions, vehicles and ride elements? Would you be interested in building your own? Would you buy one?

Admit it, we would all like to take home the Tower of Terror model from One Man's Dream. So, how about the next best thing?

everest+6.jpg

bethymouse

Where did you get those and exactly what are they called??? :)
We bought them at the Contemporary shop. It's the "Disney Thrill Rides 5 pack mini vehicle set." Dinosaur, EE, Space, Splash, BTMRR, Astro orbiter, Safari, Test Track, Mission Space, and RnRC. I believe it was 2 packs- 10 total cars. Neat cars for a collection! I think it was $14.95 each pack.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Yup. I've got my "nerding out daydream gaze" going on thinking of all the gems I could build and have on my desk at work...SM, BTMR ride vehicles.....
I think that's a great idea Uh..yeah I'd buy a couple.

Kuhio

You know what I'd love? A detailed model of the ride vehicles from Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea -- one of the coolest-looking theme park conveyances ever.

I'd also love to see a mid-scale model of the Nautilus.

tare

We bought them at the Contemporary shop. It's the "Disney Thrill Rides 5 pack mini vehicle set." Dinosaur, EE, Space, Splash, BTMRR, Astro orbiter, Safari, Test Track, Mission Space, and RnRC. I believe it was 2 packs- 10 total cars. Neat cars for a collection! I think it was $14.95 each pack.
Thanks so much!!!! I will look for these on my next trip!!! They are so cute!!!!

scpergj

I'd love to have models - in N scale, preferably - of all of the trains. Maybe one day when I have time to machine all the parts myself...!!!

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I've never worked in the toy industry, but I'd have to guess that models must be one of the most profitable "toys" to manufacture. I mean, they're nothing more than just molded shells of plain plastic. The buyer does all of the work, literally. I wonder why Disney hasn't jumped on this; surely there would be positive consumer demand...

It probably costs $0.05 to make this:

mqdefault.jpg

But it could sell for $25, and allow the builder to make this:

amazing_odd_interesting_funny_delorean_200907232252564479.jpg

Seems like a win/win to me. :D

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Disney already sells "toys" of some iconic attractions and ride vehicles. But that's exactly what they look like; toys.

For those of you who are more interested in subtle details and scale accuracy, how would you feel if Disney made model kits of attractions, vehicles and ride elements? Would you be interested in building your own? Would you buy one?

Interesting you posted this. I have a good friend who has been making molds for years for the base of models. He uses the molds to blow fiberglass into them and let them dry. After that they are sanded, detailed, painted, drilled, more details added, etc. He has done various vehicles, planes, spacecraft, etc. I will have to bring this up to him.

George Lucas on a Bench

A good paint job makes a big difference, but the sculpts for those vehicles posted above are very basic and limit what you could do with them. The Astro Orbiter rocket seems to be somewhat salvageable aside from the interior, but look at the others. The Splash Mountain log looks even more like a loaf of bread and they are all fairly cartoony. The types of vehicles Timekeeper desires would be high-end, detailed and more accurate.

One of the best vehicles they ever released was the Haunted Mansion doom buggy with the characters in it. The vehicle was not totally accurate, but it WAS totally charming. It even had the moveable safety bar.

The recent Starspeeder is also supposed to be highly accurate, at least the exterior.

tare

I'm not sure where the contemporary shop is--the contemporary resort doesn't have a shop called that??!!?? I'm stumped!!!

Cmdr_Crimson

The Closest thing to any Models for attractions are pretty much Paper Models. There are two good sites to make the attractions fit comfortably in the comfort of home...

The Disney Experience has several different ride attraction Models you can work with. A neat one just was put up of The Country Bear Jamboree..http://www.disneyexperience.com/activities/country_bears.php

& Haunted Dimensions is a site dedicated to the Haunted Mansion and you can build several different haunted houses including WDW, DL, & DLP's Mansions

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom