Attraction of the Day....Pirates of the Carribean

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Todays attraction of the day...............

Pirates of the Carribean!

What do you like about the ride?
What do you dislike about the ride?
Have a funny or unusual story?

Potc is one of my favorite attractions. It is always the first attraction I ride when in the Magic Kingdom. Totaly great themeing. The song sticks in your head for hours. Everything is in great detail. Pirates legs are hairy, cats, dogs, pigs, chickens like lifelike. Sometimes I swear that I can hear the bullets and cannonballs flying over my head. Its just too much fun!!! And the parrot near the enterence always can bring a smile to my face.

The only thing I dislike about PotC is that in WDW we didn't get the whole ride! I have seen video on the net of the Disneyland version and its just great. THe whole story of the pirates finding the cursed treasure is told. In WDW we only get the second half of the ride. I have read somewhere that there was a different ride planned (or produced) in the spot where PotC is. Is this true?

Funny story - My father swears to this day that back in '79 there was a scene where the pirates used a guillitoine on the mayor.

What about you?

And remember, dead me tell no tales............

DisJosh

I love the whole ride but I espescially like the scene w/ the drunk pirate and the cat as well as the scene w/ the pirates auctioning off the women. :D

There isn't one thing I dislike about the ride...although I would like to see the cannon ball splashes to splash a little more violently...right now theyre like stones being thrown into the water.

I have a story thats semi funny...

I was taping PotC and there was an older guy ahead of us walking up the que. He was with his grand son and family. He was quite good at sailor/pirate voices and through the whole que he was narating everything talking in his pirate voice. He was doing his naration for his grand son through the whole ride. I can't say I could complain it added to the experience and I got it all on video and it sounds great! :D

Thanks old guy!!

... who ever you are....

:D

njchris65

I remember CMs dressed as pirates would be on the sides along the ride inside and pop out and scare us!!

And weren't the men chasing the women originally? Then to be more PC they switched them? (hmm am I thinking of the right ride?)

DisJosh

Originally posted by njchris65
I remember CMs dressed as pirates would be on the sides along the ride inside and pop out and scare us!!

And weren't the men chasing the women originally? Then to be more PC they switched them? (hmm am I thinking of the right ride?)

Hehe...if I'm correct they used to have a CM dressed in a suit of armor popping out in the Haunted Mansion. They got rid of that for some reason though.

And it was men chasing women originally. I think it's more amusing w/ the women chasing the men around w/ brooms though. :D

njchris65

Yes, I think the men chasing the women was probably indicating they were going to get a beating or something when caught. It's more acceptable for the woman to beat up the man! hahaha

dwldzm9

First - This thread is a great idea!

Second - I agree that I wish WDW had DL's version - the beginning of the DL version is really neat, floating past the restaurant (which by the way is an excellent "disney romance" type of place. That said, it probably wouldn't fit in because of the caribbean theme.

Third - My favorite part is the queue! It was really one of the first heavily themed queues and it is really neat IMO.

Originally posted by DisJosh

I'm lost. :confused:

Elaborate please! :D

Goerge is supposedly the POtC ghost, and if you say "Goerge isn't real" the ride goes 101 untill someone apologizes to him....I read this on another thread here somewhere...

DisJosh

Originally posted by FantasiaBish

Goerge is supposedly the POtC ghost, and if you say "Goerge isn't real" the ride goes 101 untill someone apologizes to him....I read this on another thread here somewhere...

Cooool I'll try next time I go lol. :D

howlin_mad

Originally posted by dwldzm9
Second - I agree that I wish WDW had DL's version - the beginning of the DL version is really neat, floating past the restaurant (which by the way is an excellent "disney romance" type of place.

Atleast we still get that cool effect on the Mexico boat ride.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
As a great user of CDRWs I feel I have much in common with the residents of todays favoured ride. Hoist the jolly Rodger Mr Smee lets stick a few rounds in the Good Ship Microsoft.
It is my fav ride in the MK and second overall.
Good excuse for putting on a cr@p pirates voice and making jokes about A Vast Behind.

Disneynutcase

I love this ride. It was the innovator of all the new stuff. I feel fortunate to have been able to ride it since year one 1968 or '69 when it opened in Disneyland. And a day at DL is not a complete trip to me unless I get on this ride--it's just so deeply rooted to me and so associated with the park.

I've been to Florida's MK 4 times now, and I have to say, I go mental every time I go on it. You guys have a great queing area. I can even live without going past the bayou. But, for God's sake, Michael Jackson probably has a better version of this ride in his backyard (weirdo that he is) than MK has in its park. I always come out feeling like I just rode the "Cliff's Notes" version.

In short, it's sorely lacking in the skeleton scenes, at least needs the one where the skeleton sits atop a huge pile of treasure. There also isn't enough burning stuff. And the end scene is just so unthrilling in comparison to DL's (which unfortunately was toned down a bit after the last PC rehab so there's not as much shooting over the passenger's heads). I do kind of like the royal couple tied to the chair at the end of MK's, but that's the only thing I'll concede to MK's PotC.

Fortunately, it's located right between very superior to DL's Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. So usually riding one of those right after PotC gets my brain back in proper mellow-fun order.

We went to MK last week and I knew what lay ahead, but my brain goes, "c'mon, you can't skip riding it" then after I ride it I'm all "aaaargh!" which is appropriately pirate-y, but not me being happy. Damned if I ride, damned if I don't. Overall, the ride has to happen no matter what or it doesn't feel like a complete trip, but I really wish that with all that extra space MK has over DL that they would've put in a twin. It's not like they didn't really have the space for it.

Also, if I'm correct (and I'm not sure if I am), I thought the MK site was actually originally envisioned as a cowboys and indians anamatronic ride in a similar vein of PotC, then it somehow got scrapped. Maybe that explains why it's lacking in scenes--they already had the ride building in and built for something else, then opted for the tried and true in PotC (and only had space for 2/3rds of the ride).

Darn, I love that thing. But I wish they didn't goof it up so badly.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by njchris65
[B

And weren't the men chasing the women originally? Then to be more PC they switched them? (hmm am I thinking of the right ride?) [/B]

It was the men chasing the women...EXCEPT that the last scene ALWAYS had the "plump" woman chasing a man. I guess it was not PC on many levels. ;)

Fireman7

First, Sansaarai great idea for a great thread. Look forward to the many other "attractions of the day."

Now to the thread topic. I love PotC, it is always the first ride we go one when we go to WDW. Walk down Main Street, take a left over the Adventureland bridge, and by that time it is just calling me to go on. And I agree with dwldzm9, the queue has some of the best theming in all four parks. It is definately a classic and I hope it lives a long life.

ShanenLuvsDsny

My favorite ride!!:sohappy: Here's some pictures I took on it:

Attachments

• jail.jpg
    jail.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 81

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom